Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

taking a gap year after deciding to suspend studies after the firt semester at uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started University in September and once i got there i wasn't happy, i stuck it out til Christmas and although i have defiantly enjoyed bits of the 3 months i have not enjoyed a lot and have always had the thought in the back of my head that I wish i took a gap year and that i would settle so much better next year!
    So i have decided that I will defer my course from chritmas have a gap year and start again at the same university on the same or slightly different course next September.
    Do people think this is a good idea or do you think it will seem strange going back t the smae place again?
    I dont particuly have any plans for the year I have a job so should be able to save lots of money and hopefully get some wrk experiance and decide what i might like to do in the future!
    Does anyone have any idea of diffenent activities that they would recomend?

One of my main worries is that I will feel older than everyone when i go back to first year at uni as i will have already sort of had the freshers experience and will be turning 20 within the first two weeks! do people think that this will be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on any of the issues would be so useful

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have been thinking about doing the same thing, but my situation is a bit different. I had 2 gap years before starting this course, both unintentional- first I didn't get a place at a uni, and a year later I stared a course I really didn't like, so I left it after the 1st semester. I'm now a final year student, and even though I love my course, I've been having mental health problems in this semester. In spite of the uni being extremely helpful and giving me different deadlines, I am behind with most of my work and I'm terrified of going through the exams, since they involve writing essays on the spot, and that's pretty much the main thinkg I've been having problems with. I know this is something completely different to what you're writing about, but trust me- if you really feel strongly about feeling better if you took a year, or a semester out, then do it. If I'm allowed to start my final year again in September, I'll be 25 by the time I get my BA, and yes I am worried about seeing the classmates I spent 3 and a half years with already (my course takes 4 years), including my boyfriend, graduate and get jobs at 22-23 years, while I'll have another year to go.
    But think about the benefits the year off could give you. Time to decide is a big one for you. And you're not that far into your course yet. You could do something useful like find a job while you're off uni and save some money for "the rainy days" instead of spending it all on the bills and food while at uni. Try to write a few lists- one of the possible pros of a gap, one of any cons you can think of. And then another one, if you still can't decide, about all the things you could do while you have time.
    I really hope this helps. And I hope we'll both decide what's best for us . Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.