Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone tell me which current issues in Nursing and healthcare in general it's worth researching to prepare for interview? There just seems to be so many and I'm not sure how to work out what is really important.

The only thing I've looked at in any depth is the criticism of the Liverpool Care Pathway.

I've got my first interview at Stirling on the 28th January, and I'm expecting (hopefully) to hear back from my other choices soon.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot to do with the lack of dignity (look into winterbourne view, ann clwyd's claims about her husbands treatment and mid-staffs) and a lot of people think the profession is going down-hill and nurses are becoming less empathetic because of degree-nursing (and from 2013 nursing is a degree-only profession in this country).

You could also look at the nhs reforms and how it's changed.

The ageing population is also a huge issue that needs to be considered.

Best of luck with your interview(s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    There's a lot to do with the lack of dignity (look into winterbourne view, ann clwyd's claims about her husbands treatment and mid-staffs) and a lot of people think the profession is going down-hill and nurses are becoming less empathetic because of degree-nursing (and from 2013 nursing is a degree-only profession in this country).

You could also look at the nhs reforms and how it's changed.

The ageing population is also a huge issue that needs to be considered.

Best of luck with your interview(s)
    Couple of points here. If you're going to read about the assumption people are making about care being delivered as a lower standard due to degree education of nurses then the Willis report is a must read, it's a report made into the education of nurses both pre and post registration, It came to the conclusion that university training has not created less caring nurses, no matter how much the Daily Mail and Christina Patterson would like the general public to think.

Secondly, nursing is not going to be a "degree only" profession from 2013, it's changing so that newly qualified nurses joining the register will have to have studied at degree level. Those nurses already registered with DipHes and so on will not have to top up, they will remain as registered nurses and will continue to work without any problems or limitations on their practice. There is a lot of confusion about this change amongst nurses with people already qualified assuming they will have to study for a degree when it's not true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.