Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

love is not real, if you think about it Watch

ReputationRep:
    We are capable of loving more than one person at a time let alone in a lifetime. Whilst it is not a romantic love the fact that we are able to love an unlimited number of friends and family members suggests we are not restricted to loving only one person at a time. Therefore, should you lose the person you love (be that due to the break down of a relationship or to them passing away) this doesn't prevent you from loving someone else in the future. So I don't see how your scenarios suggest love does not exist?
    The original post also fails to consider couples that do meet and stay together forever happily.
    My granparents were together for well over 60 years and a year after losing my Grandad my Nan still needs constant emotional support from her family to cope with life without him. She is still perfectly capable of taking care of herself physically but she has lost the love of her life and feels totally lost without him.
    My parents met at university and have now been married for nearly thirty years. They've had their ups and downs (who hasn't in that time?) but there is no question of whether their love exists.
    I've been with my fiance for nine years and no matter what our future holds I could never question that my love for him exists.
    In some cases love lasts forever. In others it doesn't. There are plenty of stories we can use to evidence either the everlasting or the painful ending but neither suggests it to be non-existant.

ReputationRep:
    Love is a combination of dopamine, serotonin and Oxytocin. These Neuro-chemicals are real, and If they are released in two individual's brains at the same time in the right proportions then will be deemed as "in love". call it what you want but the neurological side of things is in fact, REAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Are you being romantic or serious there?
    If the latter, got any evidence? :cool:
    I was talking in relation to the quote, as what the girl had written didn't make sense to me..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP and I told my boyf/ex this. It's a good topic for debates. I just think we just fall head over heels for someone and it's just a deeper form of lust.

ReputationRep:
    Love is definitely real as a chemical phenomenom in the brain. However, it does not last forever. We might wish it did and kind of expect it, but this fact doesn't devalue the feelings and good times you had while in love. It just means that once the love is gone, people want to move on and feel the same thing again with another partner. And just like some have brought up, polyamorous relationships are just as real as any others.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly what you read in the novels (Romeo and Juliet or Khosrow and Shirin ) do not exist in a real world, and it's obvious that the word 'love' is misunderstood.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Love is real in that it's a scientifically measurable phenomenon (brain scanners can tell if you are in love with a person by detecting brain activity as you're showed a photo of them). Yes, who we fall in love with is mostly arbitrary - we don't choose it, nor are we likely 'destined' to meet certain people. We just met the people we met, happened to get on with some of them, and biology took care of the rest. Just because who you fell in love with was a product of forces outside your control, and if you hadn't met them you'd have probably fallen in love with someone else and felt just the same way about them as you did your actual lovers, that's not to say that love doesn't exist, it's just less romantic than we often like to believe.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you define love. I define love as when you would support that person even if it was highly detrimental to you. What makes a romantic relationship, which is what you seem to be defining as love, is for me my definition of love plus physical attraction.

ReputationRep:
    I never pretend that there's only one person in the world for each of us, nor that people will stay together forever because statistically, it's just not very likely.

Nonetheless, my other half makes me happy and relaxed; he looks after me as I do for him; I can't see him without smiling and knowing that my life without him would be infinitely poorer. I call that love and it's real enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemogirl)
    love shouldn't get passed on like that, it should only be with one person
    so love is not real
    Not sure I understand your logic here. Love is still real, it's just not what you think it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplestars1)
    People are still made for eachother...
    Not like they were before when one person got married to another and didn't have to sleep around with different people to find "the one".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    just laughed out loud while trying to drink and got coke all over my laptop screen.

but yeah I agree, why would you think that loving more than one person in a lifetime meant that either was less valid? Love is a feeling, emotion. You can be truly happy, miserable, angry ect on more than one occasion so why not truly in love?
    Haha, I'm glad I amused. (sorry about the laptop screen).

ReputationRep:
    Love is neither created nor destroyed, only transformed.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar opinion, but only towards certain friends who're on their 3rd, 4th relationship in 2 years, it's just ridiculous. They're the sort of person to say "I love you", when asking to get into a relationship, whereas I wouldn't ever say that until I knew I really wanted to spend a considerable time with them.

To be frank, people don't love individuals, they love characteristics / personalities. And multiple people can be similar in those regards. If you have a remotely selective filter, then yes, I think love is real, because you apply it to very specific people in your life.

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to go anon, otherwise i would be classed as a wimp

I know lots of people are going to disagree with me, but let me know if I make sense

for example,

girl meets guy and they have a happy relationship
    but something bad happens, so they break up
    now they would move on and date lots people until they meet the "one" and get married and settle in
    but unfortunately they might a divorce, so they'll date other people

you see, when you go out with someone you'll love them but if you break up and move on

then have a new bf/gf you'll love them as well

so love is not real

like if i have a boyfriend, i won't stop thinking how many girls he's been with and claimed to have that "true love" with them

am i making sense?

lol
    It does, for example a swan chooses 1 partner the one that they love, and will remain with that partner forever, no matter what. ^^

ReputationRep:
    All of our relationships are an illusion anyway. You like/love/trust someone up to the point they disappoint you or push you away. I don't take any type of relationship serious since everyone I know has disappointed me.

ReputationRep:
    What's real? TS views it as whether can a relationship last and most other posters find it to be the capacity of humans to love multiple individuals. Both meanings are, I think, inappropriate, with the former significantly flawed.

In my opinion, real love is a sense of unconditional affection for another party. The primary issue surrounding the 'real' love is therefore do humans have the capacity to feel a sense of attachment, and to make the concomitant sacrifices and compromises, without condition, a conscious benefit for oneself? Are we programmed to act only in line with goals and objectives, or is there an irrational urge for us to unconditionally love another, which can be just one person, a few or many, humans or not.

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to go anon, otherwise i would be classed as a wimp

I know lots of people are going to disagree with me, but let me know if I make sense

for example,

girl meets guy and they have a happy relationship
    but something bad happens, so they break up
    now they would move on and date lots people until they meet the "one" and get married and settle in
    but unfortunately they might a divorce, so they'll date other people

you see, when you go out with someone you'll love them but if you break up and move on

then have a new bf/gf you'll love them as well

so love is not real

like if i have a boyfriend, i won't stop thinking how many girls he's been with and claimed to have that "true love" with them

am i making sense?

lol
    that's a practical, but cynical way of looking at relationships. you could apply it to everything you did, if so, you wouldn't end up doing anything surely?

ReputationRep:
    Main problem is that many people say they love someone way too soon in a relationship.

Also people are very dramatic about certain things, like they say they love coffee or chocolate or whatever. No you don't, you like it a lot. Draw your own analogy from that.

ReputationRep:
    You must understand
    That the touch of your hand
    Makes my pulse react
    That it's only the thrill
    Of boy meeting girl
    Opposites attract

It's physical
    Only logical
    You must try to ignore
    That it means more than that

Oh what's love got to do, got to do with it
    What's love but a second hand emotion
    What's love got to do, got to do with it
    What's love but a sweet old fashioned notion
    Who needs a heart
    When a heart can be broken

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.