Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Charities to fundraise for. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I'm aiming to do a half marathon this year, the virgin money giving website allows you to raise money for up to five charities at a time. I've picked for but I wanted to open up the floor for suggestions on the fifth.

Please leave your suggestions below (if you have any specific reasons please tell me those too ) and when I've got quite a few, I'll open up a poll

Thanks, J x

Ps. So far I have:
    Samaritans
    B-eat
    Air ambulance
    and either Cancer Research UK or Macmillan cancer support.

ReputationRep:
    The Miracle Day fund

ReputationRep:
    One with less awareness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Integer)
    One with less awareness.
    Tis a good idea, but such as what?

I've done some work for T.E.A.C.H before which not many people have heard of, it's an african children's charity, maybe I'll add that to the shortlist :P

Also considering help for heroes but, again, it's very well known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jft18)
    Hi guys,

So I'm aiming to do a half marathon this year, the virgin money giving website allows you to raise money for up to five charities at a time. I've picked for but I wanted to open up the floor for suggestions on the fifth.

Please leave your suggestions below (if you have any specific reasons please tell me those too ) and when I've got quite a few, I'll open up a poll

Thanks, J x

Ps. So far I have:
    Samaritans
    B-eat
    Air ambulance
    and either Cancer Research UK or Macmillan cancer support.
    If I was in your shoes the main charity I would be supporting is St Christophers Hospice. They did alot for my Grandad when he was at the end of his years and whenever I look in the local charity shop its sad to see how little they get and how hard they try.

Good luck Such a nice thing to be doing!

ReputationRep:
    There is a charity called SENSE, they help deaf and blind children. I feel it's really genuine.
    I also am a massive supporter of Banardo's, which I would recommend.
    Or perhaps a local charity?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

One thing you might want to consider is how much good will actually be done with your money. There's quite a bit of research out there which goes into charity cost-effectiveness. Two organisations which recommend charities are GiveWell and Giving What We Can (which admittedly I volunteer for, but it's because they do so much good). If you have any questions about that then let me know, it's something I'm passionate and involved with! You could, of course, give to these research charities (which have similar effectiveness), but maybe just take their advice

But yeah, the argument for these charities is that they do the most good of any (if you believe the research).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannonCarney)
    If I was in your shoes the main charity I would be supporting is St Christophers Hospice. They did alot for my Grandad when he was at the end of his years and whenever I look in the local charity shop its sad to see how little they get and how hard they try.

Good luck Such a nice thing to be doing!
    Hospice's are amazing places and mean a lot to the families of the people they help. I've added 'Help the Hospices' to the shortlist, which is a charity supporting hospices across the country. Thanks for your input

(Original post by starkrush)
    Hey

One thing you might want to consider is how much good will actually be done with your money. There's quite a bit of research out there which goes into charity cost-effectiveness. Two organisations which recommend charities are GiveWell and Giving What We Can (which admittedly I volunteer for, but it's because they do so much good). If you have any questions about that then let me know, it's something I'm passionate and involved with! You could, of course, give to these research charities (which have similar effectiveness), but maybe just take their advice

But yeah, the argument for these charities is that they do the most good of any (if you believe the research).
    Good point - will look into that, thanks for your help

(Original post by MoonsLoveChild)
    There is a charity called SENSE, they help deaf and blind children. I feel it's really genuine.
    I also am a massive supporter of Banardo's, which I would recommend.
    Or perhaps a local charity?
    Thank you for your suggestions, I am also a fan of Barnardo's so that is a strong contender!

J x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.