Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I hate maths. It says for the international business course at Maastricht which I am thinking of applying to:

You’ll like this, if you like …
    Numbers. But just as importantly, you’re interested in world affairs and different cultures. You’re keen to get involved, take an active role, and shape and share your opinions. In short, you don’t want to watch the news. You want to create it.

-when it says 'numbers' does it mean maths? Thought maths was only really involved in economics!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'm much the same, I'll put up with maths/finance as I love the rest of business but I just got a reply from Maastricht saying I have a Maths deficiency because I did not take A level Math. I'm sure most UK Universities don't even ask for A level maths for a business course? Or am I wrong? This was after I spent days sorting out my app too >.<

ReputationRep:
    I have a housemate who is studying the IB course at Maastricht and from what he says, there is quite a lot of maths involved in the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardworking andy)
    Basically, I hate maths. It says for the international business course at Maastricht which I am thinking of applying to:

You’ll like this, if you like …
    Numbers. But just as importantly, you’re interested in world affairs and different cultures. You’re keen to get involved, take an active role, and shape and share your opinions. In short, you don’t want to watch the news. You want to create it.

-when it says 'numbers' does it mean maths? Thought maths was only really involved in economics!?

Depends on your point of view, in my opinion there is not a lot of math in IB.

You have to take the two courses QM1 (Quantitative Methods) and QM2 in the first year. These are applied mathematics and statistics. It is really not that difficult if you study for it. Plus the teachers (very good ones) and the structure of the courses offer lots of support in my opinion.

In year 2 you will have QM3, but dont worry, it's only a skills course for IB people (Skills courses last 2 weeks and give 4 credits (hence not too extensive), whereas for people choosing e.g. Economic Studies it is a regular course of 6.5 credits and much harder - not too hard though in my opinion but then again I like to have more analytical courses).

Depending which path you choose in year 3 you may or may not come across maths for the rest of the study (e.g. Finance will of course be more analytical than Supply Chain Mgmt or Marketing)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.