Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../dc/birthright

Edited comment about being surprised at some of the countries on the list... so people don't get unnecessarily mad and rage at me.
    Lol what's Israel doing in the list, nobody wants to be born their right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    It seems fine tbh, Switzerland obviously at the top, the quality of living is amazing there, and very expensive. This is a summary of the quality of living, and for most people in the UK it's not that great. If you're even using TSR chances our your life is pretty nice in comparison (me included) to people who live outside the centre of major cities. Hence why it says Hong Kong, and Taiwan, not China as a whole, if that were that case I expect we'd be seeing China closer to India (average quality of living is atrocious, but their middle class is growing). Why is it so hard to believe Ireland has a better quality of living?
    Why would the quality of someone living outside a major city be worse than someone living in one?

Low crime, often aesthetically pleasing environment, low pollution, beautiful countryside, can still have access to excellent hospitals and schools (often better than those found in inner city areas)...

ReputationRep:
    I'd like it to be equality-adjusted, because both Hong Kong and USA are pretty low.

And Bangladesh is higher than Ukraine? Ukraine is far better.

UAE is probably high because it has very very generous welfare state for its own citizens.

ReputationRep:
    Woo go Canada!

It's probably bc we have tons of free space lolol

ReputationRep:
    Good job I was born in 88 then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Why would the quality of someone living outside a major city be worse than someone living in one?

Low crime, often aesthetically pleasing environment, low pollution, beautiful countryside, can still have access to excellent hospitals and schools (often better than those found in inner city areas)...
    This. Numerous studies show people in big cities have a more stressful life and that impacts their well being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    You for real? No offense mate, but this is the worst post I have ever seen from you. And I have lost count of the times I repped you in the past.

Living in fear of a nuclear strike by Iran in those countries is akin to living in fear of being hit by lightning, except it's even more unlikely...
    So why do we need nuclear weapons?

We are always told that it would be madness to give up our deterrent in an uncertain world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    So why do we need nuclear weapons?

We are always told that it would be madness to give up our deterrent in an uncertain world.
    Britain perhaps. But Switzerland? Let's face it, if Iran sends a nuke, it will be Israel. Not Switzerland.

Plus they are free-riding off of Britain and US in terms of deterrent. Is that what you wanted to point out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Britain perhaps. But Switzerland? Let's face it, if Iran sends a nuke, it will be Israel. Not Switzerland.

Plus they are free-riding off of Britain and US in terms of deterrent. Is that what you wanted to point out?
    How can Switzerland free ride off Britain and the US in terms of deterrent? They aren't our allies and have never been.

If Switzerland got nuked I think we may have to stay "neutral".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    How can Switzerland free ride off Britain and the US in terms of deterrent? They aren't our allies and have never been.

If Switzerland got nuked I think we may have to stay "neutral".
    I really doubt that would happen, at the very least France would, because they are neighbors and might get some of the shroom. Plus for the US it would be the perfect opportunity to go in.

Also, I still can't tell if you are being serious here.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.