Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Pretty hypocritical of you to condemn people for having stereotypes of the conflict and then coming out with this. If you don't know a thing about the conflict don't comment. Israel was a country that the allied nation s created on Palestinian soil. Israel has since then created settlements in Palestine and driven Palestinians out of their homes. The Israelis are undoubtedly in the wrong here but no country will do anything because Israel has the support of the USA. That is the true cause of the conflict.
    The war being fought today is actually by third generation of people who've been around since Israel became a state. If the conflict ever was about taken territories, it isn't anymore. Right now it's just a religious war.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure all the girls on TSR would love to live in UAE instead of britian and not be allowed outside without a man..abolute joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    the reason why britain has dropped so many places is because it is taking in so many people from the bottom places.
    No. Norway, Sweden, Netherlands and Germany all have substantial immigration and are higher. Admittedly I'm against large-scale low skilled non-asylum immigration however in terms of managing the age of the population it's good to have young people enter the country.

I actually don't understand the Netherlands being so high. It's cramped as hell there. Obviously some nations due to mineral and oil wealth are going to be high.

I don't rate the UK as a good place to live and I will definitely look at raising my children abroad. So many things are crap here- housing, house prices, inequality, tax on everything yet very little back and of course the horrendous political system with atrociously managed utilities and transport. Throw in the militarism, debt, student fees and lack of manufacturing. It's harder to list what is actually good about the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosmof)
    7 behind Israel... 5 behind Kuwait... really?
    haha, I was about to post exactly this. Plus the UAE isn't exactly a bastion of freedom.

ReputationRep:
    Germany only equal with the United States and Italy higher than Britain? Must have been calculated using something as strange as the Duckworth-Lewis method.

ReputationRep:
    India beats Russia! :eek:

Well I guess that explains the ever increasing number of Russian gangsters in Goa.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...I'm not sure Mexico should rank as highly as it does.

And I can understand at Britain ranking fairly low (for the kind of country that we are). I'm not one of these people who constantly moans that this is an awful place to live - it's not - but we are worse off than many equivalent first-world countries in many respects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snailsareslimy)
    Ireland lol.

Ireland is woeful in comparison to Britain (as someone who lives in NI, it's easy to compare them both).
    Euro is rubbish, it's generally just a miserable, wet pile of hills... Eg the West. The East is better but still... It's not a "great" place to be born; it's "okay". Plus Dublin isn't terribly great for shopping when you compare it to London or Edinburgh/Glasgow.
    as someone who lives in the west of Ireland (and spent many years in Birmingham) give me my home county every day. Britain is hardly a riviera for sunshine - and now im used again to the Euro, its not that bad (spending wise, currency its horrible)

The presidents of Ireland are hardly great, either. What exactly did Bertie Ahern achieve? Or Enda Kenny?

You should also remember the huge amount of issues Ireland has had to deal with in the past, the economy, the declining agricultural sector etc as these all work against the country.
    Niether kenny or ahern are presidents they are taoiseach's - prime minister, if you dont even know that then your really lacking in regards to info on the ROI

As for what Ahern did, in his day he was great - ok his aftermath not so much so, but the celtic tiger did a lot under Ahern's helm. Kenny is just a git.

Uni's there is Trinity, UCD, maynooth, UCD and others, just look a little harder.

Ireland has issues now, yes - no denying it, but economies recover and people over here complain a lot less than in the UK - in my experience anyway.

As for Racism - Ireland has (relatively) high populations of Brazillian migrants who were brought in in the 90s, they have integrated fairly well but there culture and ours has quite strong similarities revolving around Catholicism and families

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    as someone who lives in the west of Ireland (and spent many years in Birmingham) give me my home county every day. Britain is hardly a riviera for sunshine - and now im used again to the Euro, its not that bad (spending wise, currency its horrible)

Niether kenny or ahern are presidents they are taoiseach's - prime minister, if you dont even know that then your really lacking in regards to info on the ROI

As for what Ahern did, in his day he was great - ok his aftermath not so much so, but the celtic tiger did a lot under Ahern's helm. Kenny is just a git.

Uni's there is Trinity, UCD, maynooth, UCD and others, just look a little harder.

Ireland has issues now, yes - no denying it, but economies recover and people over here complain a lot less than in the UK - in my experience anyway.

As for Racism - Ireland has (relatively) high populations of Brazillian migrants who were brought in in the 90s, they have integrated fairly well but there culture and ours has quite strong similarities revolving around Catholicism and families
    Fair point about Presidents, I always get confused with the political system Anyway you mentioned UCD twice and I've never heard of Maynooth... I mean I know there are others (Cork, Galway?) but they don't really stand out.

I'm not saying Ireland is a bad place to live, I just don't think that in comparison to Britain it's any better off.

Also, why did you leave Ireland? Of course if that's personal, then don't answer, but just because you think of it quite highly

ReputationRep:
    Fair point about Presidents, I always get confused with the political system Anyway you mentioned UCD twice and I've never heard of Maynooth... I mean I know there are others (Cork, Galway?) but they don't really stand out.

I'm not saying Ireland is a bad place to live, I just don't think that in comparison to Britain it's any better off.

Also, why did you leave Ireland? Of course if that's personal, then don't answer, but just because you think of it quite highly
    I left at 21 (like many irish people) to see whats out there, i had family in Birmingham and so settled there. Lived there for ten years and for five of those years i hated it. It lost its appeal a long ago. So last febuary i decided time to move home. And in June i did so.

I agree they dont really stand out - but then they arent the size of UK uni's but they still have good unis -

ReputationRep:
    Britain is a multicultural wasteland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    No. Norway, Sweden, Netherlands and Germany all have substantial immigration and are higher. Admittedly I'm against large-scale low skilled non-asylum immigration however in terms of managing the age of the population it's good to have young people enter the country.

I actually don't understand the Netherlands being so high. It's cramped as hell there. Obviously some nations due to mineral and oil wealth are going to be high.

I don't rate the UK as a good place to live and I will definitely look at raising my children abroad. So many things are crap here- housing, house prices, inequality, tax on everything yet very little back and of course the horrendous political system with atrociously managed utilities and transport. Throw in the militarism, debt, student fees and lack of manufacturing. It's harder to list what is actually good about the UK.

yes, those countries have insane levels of immigration but its just that britain's mass immigration is on another level entirely -- people always go on about EU immigration but that has just accounted for 20% of immigration since labour opened the floodgates. the real issue is non EU immigration and most of these people are coming from the countries at the bottom of the list. its insane. you cant just transfer so many people so quickly and not expect serious and negative consequences.

many of the problems you talk about are directly connected with the massive population increases of these poor immigrants flooding into the country.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't Qatar on that list? They have the highest GDP per Capita in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrkingpenguin)
    Im sure all the girls on TSR would love to live in UAE instead of britian and not be allowed outside without a man..abolute joke
    They're allowed to go outside alone there..

ReputationRep:
    Okay I know the Ukraine is hardly paradise, but I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant being underneath the likes of.. Pakistan and Bangladesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaal_Chawal)
    They're allowed to go outside alone there..
    Still under sharia law bro...hardly equal

ReputationRep:
    wow even Chile and Israel beat us.

And Norway? Y U NO TOP?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I left at 21 (like many irish people) to see whats out there, i had family in Birmingham and so settled there. Lived there for ten years and for five of those years i hated it. It lost its appeal a long ago. So last febuary i decided time to move home. And in June i did so.

I agree they dont really stand out - but then they arent the size of UK uni's but they still have good unis -
    Surely by wanting to leave proves that Ireland isn't all rosey?

Anyway yeah I'm sure the universities are fine, I just haven't looked them up!

But at least you provided some good points, nice to have a discussion about something

ReputationRep:
    Surely by wanting to leave proves that Ireland isn't all rosey?

Anyway yeah I'm sure the universities are fine, I just haven't looked them up!

But at least you provided some good points, nice to have a discussion about something
    oh i agree Ireland isnt all rosey not by a long way - but i still prefer it to the UK

ReputationRep:
    What seems to me to be the trend here is that countries with low inequality perform very well. Britain seems very divided that way - it leads to division among society. We've got racial divisions too.. probably also accounting for the low position.. but lower than Israel? Really?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.