Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Well no, who do you think is servicing this huge debt and paying for the services/benefits for this ageing population when they all retire in 15-20 years? Someone being born there now is going to have to pay for that via their taxes and the debt can only be reduced by a combination of increased taxes and reduced services.
    True, that didn't really across my mind, but you're right.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with this country is that the opportunities for a better of standard of living for all are continually squandered on pointless initiatives set-up by institutions and the like who are either out to make a quick buck or who are stuck in the old world and do not like change or do not want to embrace the new. There are massive amounts of money in this country pouring in, and much wealth and opportunity can be gained sometimes with as little money as possible. But meddlesome busybodies out to "cash-in", who have become too important, are currently presiding over everything and ruining everything for too many people. Remove the meddlers and you will see some improvements. We can do nothing about the weather, but we can improve people's standard of living (and consequently make social changes to improve wellbeing) if only someone or some group had the courage to initiate the necessary changes. Not by carrot and stick, not by measly incentives, not by removing support, not even by demonisation; but by carefully assessing individual needs, community needs, and setting out the plans to limit distress when the changes take place, but to show a better life possible with as little a loss to liberty, and not merely promise it with useless initiatives and schemes that only serve the ideology of parties and out-of-date social doctrines.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    What are the 11 indicators used in this?
    Health
    Trust in public institutes
    Wealth
    Crime
    Geography
    These are the ones i see mentioned. What are the others?
    We're healthier than the US, the economy is better than Irelands.
    Arguably we have less trust in public institutions and I'm pretty sure our crime rate is lower than some of the other countries higher than us.
    So how are we behind israel a country perpetually at war with its neighbour? How is france down here with us?
    Really? It's bigger but better is debatable.

Ireland has a higher GDP per capita than the UK, it's wages are on average higher than the UK, it's growth is higher than the UK, it actually has a large trade surplus, before the crisis it had a fiscal surplus and it has lower taxes than the UK.

It may have been more dependent on construction and so it remains to be seen whether it will still outperform the UK over the next decade but the single fiscal shock aside Ireland does'nt have a bad economy and that is bourne out by the fact that it is expected to be back in fiscal balance by 2016.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    how on earth is taiwan so high? and israel is 7 places above us? hmmm i don't think so.
    (Original post by Ephemera)
    Singapore is in the top ten? What? There's barely anything there...
    Taiwan and Singapore are both asian tigers, very rich with world class education and healthcare. Singapore also has extremely low crime rates because they are extremely harsh on crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    Taiwan, UAE, Israel and Kuwait? This list seems to use some odd categories for ranking. People in Taiwan earn 1/2 as much as those in the UK, USA has worse healthcare and higher murder rate, Israel is surrounded by nations that hate it and would happily destroy it (and regularly try to), UAE is a nice looking police state for those who aren't rich tourists.
    (Original post by deedee123)
    how on earth is taiwan so high? and israel is 7 places above us? hmmm i don't think so.
    Taiwan has a GDP Per capita of $38k USD in terms of PPP which is higher than the UK ($35k). Which means even though they earn $18k and we earn $38k in terms of nominal value, it buys them $38k worth of goods in Taiwan but $35k worth of goods for us. As said Taiwan is an Asian tiger that is fairly rich and has leading education and healthcare systems.

Israel is actually quite a modern nation with major contributions to science as said. They have a GDP Per capita of $31k in terms of PPP so again quite rich. Even though they're surrounded by neighbours who want to destroy Israel, they have a very good and modern military compared to their neighbours. I'm sure you would've heard about their Iron Dome Missile intercepting system in the recent Gaza conflict. So I would say its pretty safe there.

In 1988, the Asian tigers were still growing. China's economy was non-existent, Soviet Union was falling apart. The Middle East was starting their oil discovery. Ofc we would've been 7th.

That said the UK is a good place to live in, but is slowing falling behind imo. Our economy is stagnant, our debt levels is over £1trillion, our healthcare is being privatised.... God save us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyla65)
    Taiwan has a GDP Per capita of $38k USD in terms of PPP which is higher than the UK ($35k). Which means even though they earn $18k and we earn $38k in terms of nominal value, it buys them $38k worth of goods in Taiwan but $35k worth of goods for us. As said Taiwan is an Asian tiger that is fairly rich and has leading education and healthcare systems.
    GDP per capita ≠ Earnings.
    According to the OECD, the average UK wage in dollars PPP is $44,700 which is the eighth highest, and we also have the sixth highest level of disposable income (that being wages minus taxes). British people love to be miserable and moan all the time, but we have it pretty good comparatively.
    I don't know what Taiwans' figures are since they aren't a member of the OECD, but since the UK is comfortably above both South Korea and Japan I doubt it's anywhere near that figure.

ReputationRep:
    That's what 13 years of Labour results in, poisoning our country.

ReputationRep:
    kinda surprised that luxembourg isn't in there..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
    2. See Irish Wages...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%29_per_capita

Higher than the UK in every one of those listings, and thats post recession.
    GDP per capita has absolutely nothing to do with wages. As it stands Ireland's GDP is vastly inflated due to the number of foreign multinationals setting up shop there because it's a dirty tax haven and also the relatively high Euro-USD exchange rate. All that means nothing in regards to the average Irishman or his monthly take home.
    The average wage in Ireland is 35,905 Euros and has fallen by over 4.5% nominally and much more in real terms in the last four years.

ReputationRep:
    Think it's more to do with the British being miserable *******s than anythinhg else

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a rather crude "take some stats from wikipedia, multiply them by some constant and add them together" metric.

UAE? Most of the population are essentially indentured labourers who aren't even citizens. Switzerland &c. are disproportionately dragged up by small concentrations of very high paid workers, often foreigners.

I think most people given a choice would still reasonably decide to be born in the US unless they expected to be in the bottom 10-20% of the income distribution, in which case they'd choose a North European country.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why some people are surprised. The more diverse a country becomes the more unsettled and less willing to contribute to the common good people become. The UK is far more illiberal than it has been for 60-70 years due to numerous anti-discrimination laws and other means of censorship that has stifled freedom of speech and association. Regular folk feel like their concerns are not addressed and that they have no voice for fear of being persecuted by the media/courts, their careers destroyed etc.

People no longer have a sense of belonging, not due to modern society, but because their values, culture and racial heritage is belittled and attacked on a daily basis.

Just watch Sweden. They will be the first of the Scandinavian countries to have a significant drop in the rankings. Maybe another 10 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    21. USSR :confused: da'**** would of thought that would of been **** to live in.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Israel this year and there's nothing unsafe about it. you see soldiers with guns all the time and the security everywhere is tip top

ReputationRep:
    What basis is this judged upon? Top 10 seems agree-able.

What I dont understand is what is pakistan doing on that list. Its the most un safest place to grow. Bombings every day. Biggest producers of terrorist. How are they on the list?

ReputationRep:
    At least it's not as bad as Nigeria all the way at the bottom.

To be honest every country has different qualities. All of them have bad and good points, but I'd love to live somewhere like France and Italy. Really cultural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    At least it's not as bad as Nigeria all the way at the bottom.

To be honest every country has different qualities. All of them have bad and good points, but I'd love to live somewhere like France and Italy. Really cultural.
    The first part is untrue kmt!

The second part is obs there is always the mix of the good and the bad. Some planes have more bad than good though! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything else other than Britain, but i'm so thankful to have been born here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    Bangladesh higher than ukraine?
    I take it you don't know that much about the Ukraine then?

ReputationRep:
    People being surprised Britain is so low, 1/5 of the employed don't even earn the living wage. For the under 20 it's 77%, i.e. the young which is what this study is about really.

Saying that, it's just a metric. Can't take into account that really, Britain is still miles ahead of other countries in terms of a person's perspective rather than just figures.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.