Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Is anyone else doing this exam? How are you all doing with revision?

I'm doing it as a resit from June as I got a B then but I would ideally like to get an A so I can match it up to my Biology and Chemistry grades. I've done a few past papers over the last week and I keep getting A's and A*'s in most of them, so hopefully now I can concentrate and do better. (Before it was the final exam and I'd given up a lot before even trying as Physics is my worst one. This is my only exam in January so it's nice to just focus...)

Also, if anyone has the past paper from June 2012 and the mark scheme, please could you link it? It'd be really useful to go over it and see if I can do it better than I did before. It'll also point out where I'm going wrong so I know what to revise. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have this exam next week too.. I'm also resitting this exam as I put in foundation last year... I'm mainly just making notes from my revision guide and going to start to do some past papers (It's the old spec... But, the most of the stuff is very similar).
    And, I have the P1 exam in paper though, but I haven't got the mark scheme yet (Need to ask my teacher for that)... But, I'm definitely sure that your school will have the paper and mark scheme, just ask them maybe?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arshii)
    Hi! I have this exam next week too.. I'm also resitting this exam as I put in foundation last year... I'm mainly just making notes from my revision guide and going to start to do some past papers (It's the old spec... But, the most of the stuff is very similar).
    And, I have the P1 exam in paper though, but I haven't got the mark scheme yet (Need to ask my teacher for that)... But, I'm definitely sure that your school will have the paper and mark scheme, just ask them maybe?
    Good luck!!

I'm revising right now, I think I need to focus a lot on advantages and disadvantages of stuff as that's what I never did the first time. They're coming up with less obvious 6 mark questions though, but I'm predicting either:
    - General eat loss and applying to different situations (e.g. a vacuum flask)
    - Heat loss in a house and how it can be prevented by different methods.
    - Non-Renewable vs Renewable energy sources.
    - The National Grid.
    - Creation of the Universe (Red-Shift, BBT, CMBR etc.)

They're the stuff that seem to have the most information to learn, but it could be on anything. I know someone said the Biology one was something almost hidden in the textbook, so we'll have to see. Though I suppose there isn't a huge range of long answer stuff with Physics.

Most likely probably from my list would be Energy Sources or Creation of the Universe, but who knows?

I've made a list of questions that may help revision based on everything in the textbook. Only short ones to recall stuff (Usually it helps me cover everything each night after focusing on specifics.) If you want me to link it, I am happy to share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    Good luck!!

I'm revising right now, I think I need to focus a lot on advantages and disadvantages of stuff as that's what I never did the first time. They're coming up with less obvious 6 mark questions though, but I'm predicting either:
    - General eat loss and applying to different situations (e.g. a vacuum flask)
    - Heat loss in a house and how it can be prevented by different methods.
    - Non-Renewable vs Renewable energy sources.
    - The National Grid.
    - Creation of the Universe (Red-Shift, BBT, CMBR etc.)

They're the stuff that seem to have the most information to learn, but it could be on anything. I know someone said the Biology one was something almost hidden in the textbook, so we'll have to see. Though I suppose there isn't a huge range of long answer stuff with Physics.

Most likely probably from my list would be Energy Sources or Creation of the Universe, but who knows?

I've made a list of questions that may help revision based on everything in the textbook. Only short ones to recall stuff (Usually it helps me cover everything each night after focusing on specifics.) If you want me to link it, I am happy to share.
    Yeah.. I'll like the link please... thanks And yeah for the 6 mark, there mostly about the advantages and disadvantages as in january was about the overhead and underground cables on the other side for june, it was about renewable energy sources. I think theres a great possibility to be a question on saving energy for the 6 mark question. But, yeah overall just revise and revise, making sure you know and understand everything... Good Luck! (hopefully the exam is easy :crossedf: )
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. I'll like the link please... thanks And yeah for the 6 mark, there mostly about the advantages and disadvantages as in january was about the overhead and underground cables on the other side for june, it was about renewable energy sources. I think theres a great possibility to be a question on saving energy for the 6 mark question. But, yeah overall just revise and revise, making sure you know and understand everything... Good Luck! (hopefully the exam is easy :crossedf: )
    Saving energy seems probable, yes.

I've linked it here. Hope it helps just to recap on some stuff. I haven't made answers, but it's all things from the revision book that I have
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxPhysics Revision Questions.docx (17.5 KB, 638 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Omg yeah! I'm re siting the paper too! I got a B last year in June and i'm aiming for an A hopefully! I also resat my B1 on Monday, that wasn't too bad, it's really just these annoying QWC 6 markers that catch me out! I've been revising from the Revision Guide book thingy, do you reckon I should look at some other sources>? or does that book cover everything? I just need to finished the solar system and the whole red shift thing and that's revision DONE!
    I ordered the papers last year after the exam I'll put a link up(: If it works!
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdfScience Physics 1 Higher Tier Jan 2011 w11-0237-02 (1).pdf (725.2 KB, 374 views)
  3. File Type: pdfScience Physics 1 Higher Tier Jan 2010 w10-0237-02 (1).pdf (68.3 KB, 186 views)
  4. File Type: pdfScience Physics 1 Higher Tier Jun 2010 s10-0237-02.pdf (74.9 KB, 132 views)
  5. File Type: pdfScience Physics 1 Higher Tier Jun 2011 s11-0237-02.pdf (548.6 KB, 133 views)
  6. File Type: pdfScience A Physics 1 Higher Tier Jun 2012 S12-4463-02.PDF (162.3 KB, 930 views)
  7. File Type: pdfScience Physics 1 Higher Tier Jun 2012 S12-0237-02.PDF (107.5 KB, 650 views)

ReputationRep:

I've linked it here. Hope it helps just to recap on some stuff. I haven't made answers, but it's all things from the revision book that I have
    Thanks! That was actually really helpful! And for the answers I can just check them up in my revision guide...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nezzie)
    Hi! Omg yeah! I'm re siting the paper too! I got a B last year in June and i'm aiming for an A hopefully! I also resat my B1 on Monday, that wasn't too bad, it's really just these annoying QWC 6 markers that catch me out! I've been revising from the Revision Guide book thingy, do you reckon I should look at some other sources>? or does that book cover everything? I just need to finished the solar system and the whole red shift thing and that's revision DONE!
    I ordered the papers last year after the exam I'll put a link up(: If it works!
    Are you doing the exam board AQA? Because, the exam papers you put is WJEC.. :/ And the biology 1 exam was on the 9th Jan Wednesday... But, I definitely agree with you on the QWC questions.. I hate them sooo MUCH! LOL
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That was actually really helpful! And for the answers I can just check them up in my revision guide...
    Glad I helped

No point just keeping it for myself when I can help others here.

I'm honestly not motivated much more now though, just want to get it over with. Tomorrow night I need to revise for my Biology ISA, but hopefully if I get 2 hours of Physics in just recapping I'll be ok. On Wednesday I'll revise loads and then relax before the exam (at least it's afternoon so I'm not too tired and will be able to think ok...)

On Thursday and Friday I will gain a life and do something FUN! And then I'll probably have to revise for more things coming up. :P

ReputationRep:
    Glad I helped

No point just keeping it for myself when I can help others here.

I'm honestly not motivated much more now though, just want to get it over with. Tomorrow night I need to revise for my Biology ISA, but hopefully if I get 2 hours of Physics in just recapping I'll be ok. On Wednesday I'll revise loads and then relax before the exam (at least it's afternoon so I'm not too tired and will be able to think ok...)

On Thursday and Friday I will gain a life and do something FUN! And then I'll probably have to revise for more things coming up. :P
    Aha! Tomorrow I'll be just going through my text book and watch videos of my-gcsescience (he's a youtuber that covers all the AQA new spec - he's pretty amazing!).. So yeah, and after this exam I have other 3 exams of which are Unit 2 biology & physics after, that I have a geography exam! >.< After 25th January I'll be free! LOL but, I'll have another 11 exams to look up to in May Oh well! I just wish I really get good grades in this... I have been practicing but, just hope the exam is easy... :yy:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Tomorrow I'll be just going through my text book and watch videos of my-gcsescience (he's a youtuber that covers all the AQA new spec - he's pretty amazing!).. So yeah, and after this exam I have other 3 exams of which are Unit 2 biology & physics after, that I have a geography exam! >.< After 25th January I'll be free! LOL but, I'll have another 11 exams to look up to in May Oh well! I just wish I really get good grades in this... I have been practicing but, just hope the exam is easy... :yy:
    I was watching him a bit last week and found the information very helpful. Now I just keep looking over the stuff and I think I'm pretty secure on what's required...

Good luck with your other stuff too! This weekend I'm hoping to relax and read a book or something. I'll probably get all my homework done for next week on Thursday and Friday so then I can just do what I want..

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing the exam board AQA? Because, the exam papers you put is WJEC.. :/ And the biology 1 exam was on the 9th Jan Wednesday... But, I definitely agree with you on the QWC questions.. I hate them sooo MUCH! LOL
    Sorry! I didn't realise you were doing AQA, yeah i am doing WJEC :L Yeah i resat the exam on Wednesday :L Uha! Good luck for tomorrow anyways (:

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone im so scared about the exam. does anyone know what is most likely to come up in the paper and how much marks are needed for a B. and any revison tips will help full. thanks and good luck to you all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I need past paper links. Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks - these were great

ReputationRep:
    hey i have a jan 2012 paper im uploading more soon buts here one for the meanwhile. http://crypt-physics.wikispaces.com/...P-QP-Jan12.pdf hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    ohh goshh im resitting my physics exam tomorrow too and im stressing out soo much!! i just had my english lit exam today and i have another science exam tomorrow! Yay Life-_-
    Too much exams jam-packed in one month. Year 11 is one hell of a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haleemaahmed)
    hi everyone im so scared about the exam. does anyone know what is most likely to come up in the paper and how much marks are needed for a B. and any revison tips will help full. thanks and good luck to you all.
    My teacher said you need around 50 - 60% for a C, 70% for a B. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    BBT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punksister19)
    My teacher said you need around 50 - 60% for a C, 70% for a B. Hope this helps.
    Thanks alot. good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.