Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In quantum physics, how do you know whether, in an interaction such as beta- decay where n ----> p + e- + (anti)Ve how would i know, when drawing a feynman diagram what the charge of the W boson is, how do i know if its negative or positive?

ReputationRep:
    Just keep in mind that charge has to be conserved. So in B minus decay, at the start we have no overall charge. When the down quark (-1/3) decays into an up quark (+2/3) giving off a W-boson, that boson must be negative so that the overall charge is still zero. This then decays into an electron and an anti-electron neutrino. I found this blog very helpful: http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2010/0...ynman-diagams/

ReputationRep:
    It also depends in which direction the W boson is exchanged. For example a +ve W boson exchanged left -> right is the same as a -ve W boson being exchange right -> left.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.