Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im 2 and a half years through a 4 year course, and i know i knowwww it will be a waste of time to quit now. But i literally can not carry on, i am failing everything. My decision isnt made up completely yet but it does look like i will be dropping out.

If i drop out after i get my maintenance loan in a few days what will happen? will i pay it back in installments when i earn enough money or will they take it straight back off me in one go?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to pay anything back if you flunk the course, you only pay if you graduate

Students don't repay, graduates do, but only if they earn £21,000+. You repay 9 per cent of everything earned above £21,000 starting the April after graduation (2017 for most). This £21,000 will rise from 2017. Those who never earn over it, never repay.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...udy-shows.html

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasTE)
    im 2 and a half years through a 4 year course, and i know i knowwww it will be a waste of time to quit now. But i literally can not carry on, i am failing everything. My decision isnt made up completely yet but it does look like i will be dropping out.

If i drop out after i get my maintenance loan in a few days what will happen? will i pay it back in installments when i earn enough money or will they take it straight back off me in one go?

Thanks

(Original post by Aero_aspirant)
    I don't think you have to pay anything back if you flunk the course, you only pay if you graduate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...udy-shows.html

Hope this helped

When do I start paying back the loan?
    You only start repaying your loan once you have left university or college and your income is above the threshold of £15,000 per year (£1,250 a month or £288 a week).
    You will have to start making repayments in
    the April after you finish or leave your course.

From

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_194538.pdf

ReputationRep:
    The above post is wrong. If you're 2 and a half years into a course i assume that you started before 12/13ay making you an old cohort student meaning you will enter repayment the year after you withdraw and start repaying when your level of income exceeds £15,000 a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.