Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So I came across a question earlier on from Jan 11. It read this:

'Deduce an equation to show how NO2 reacts with water and oxygen to form nitric acid (HNO3).'

So it's going to be along the lines of: NO2 + H2O + O2 -> HNO3

I balanced this out to 2NO2 + H2O + 1/2O2 -> 2HNO3

The correct answer was 4NO3 + 2H2O + O2 -> 4HNO3 but the MS said accept/allow multiples.

I know you can use half O2s when balancing combustion reactions, but I was unsure as to whether I can do it here and if you can do it if you only have one O2.

Any help would be appreciated ^_^

(Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Hi

So I came across a question earlier on from Jan 11. It read this:

'Deduce an equation to show how NO2 reacts with water and oxygen to form nitric acid (HNO3).'

So it's going to be along the lines of: NO2 + H2O + O2 -> HNO3

I balanced this out to 2NO2 + H2O + 1/2O2 -> 2HNO3

The correct answer was 4NO3 + 2H2O + O2 -> 4HNO3 but the MS said accept/allow multiples.

I know you can use half O2s when balancing combustion reactions, but I was unsure as to whether I can do it here and if you can do it if you only have one O2.

Any help would be appreciated ^_^
    Yes, your answer would get you the mark. According to my teacher, 'Multiples' also means factors so that's a perfectly valid response, one which I did myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomePotential)
    Yes, your answer would get you the mark. According to my teacher, 'Multiples' also means factors so that's a perfectly valid response, one which I did myself.
    Brilliant, ta.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.