Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please anon, dont want my mum stumbling across this!!

So right, I'm 21 (female) and live at home, have had a bf for 18months and am at uni. You would think my parents would consider me fairly responsible/understand me doing my own thing and to not interfere. But not the case, help please!

My mum always picks up on things in my relationship that she doesnt like and keeps digging at me with her opinions even though I'm completely happy in my relationship. She once actually messaged my bf with her opinions which upset both me and him really. She shouldn't be interefering with my relationship!

Also, I don't mind a bit of concern and interest in my life, course not, but she seems to need to know every last detail. She was on holiday and texted me generally (nothing urgent) whilst I was in the cinema one day - as I hadn't replied an hour later she had sent another text saying 'are you ok? please reply'!!!

Another thing which annoyed me so much was that, when staying over unplanned at the BFs after a night out, she texted me especially to say 'have you taken your pill??' - which, of course I had, keeping a spare pack in my bag. Then a week later, NYE, a text saying 'be careful, if you're sick your pill wont work!'. I've been taking the pill for over a year, so surely I would know how it works.

Really infuriating with the lack of trust in my responsibility and the constant interference.

Sorry for the ramble, but was hoping for some advice! Am I getting too stressed over this? Is it worth talking to her about it? Any similar situations?

Thanks guyssss

mods, please delete.

ReputationRep:
    When I'd been with my boyfriend for about that amount of time my mum started getting all funny about him. "you should leave him, he'll ruin your life etc etc" lol but now she jokes that she's adopted him (he has no parents) and welcomes him wholeheartedly (i think!!), she even tells me off for being mean to him when he's drunk.

Hopefully your mum will get over it to!! maybe she's jealous!? although whether that would be of you or him it's unclear. If she's alone she might be upset and feel like he's taking you away from her... maybe spend time together the 3 of you?

Also, as for her opinions on your relationship, what you gotta remember is that we're a different generation from them so we will have different ideas about relationships. Now that my mum's got a fella- it's weird, they are stereotypical for a couple of their generation. I would NOT be happy in a relationship like that but she seems to be, and I guess our relationship seems weird to them as well!?!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Bobbi - I think your mum has a bit of a problem letting go which is quite understandable. I don't know if you are an only child or the youngest but in that scenario particularly she may be a bit funny as whilst this means beginnings for you it means endings for her.

I would try talking to her about it if possible, and I think she will probably change over time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.