Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best revision guides for my subjects: History, Geography, Maths and Biology. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Pretty self explanatory really, i've got some from school but these are more text books, rather than revision guides. at GCSE i found the CGP revision guides helpful for science? are the the best to go with? i didn't do geography GCSE so im clueless where to start there, and for history i didnt use one. on another thread someone has said 'My revision notes' is good for history... can anyone confirm this? i just don't want to spend a tenner on a guide. (i could flick through in store i suppose, but i tend to make bad spontnoeus decisions.) As for maths i dont think i need one, but if someone thinks otherwise i'd love to hear what's a better idea

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on for Biology? If it is Edexcel then Salters Nuffield Biology books are REALLY good. I used it for my AS's last year and got a comfortable A in my exam and the A2 book seems to be great too CGP books are good but pretty basic, they only give enough information really for a grade C or around that. So it all depends on what you are aiming for

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely recommend the CGP Geography book. It's especially helpful if you do AQA to get the board-specific one. It's not the most detailed and only provides an overview, but for any processes or terms you don't understand, it's perfect.

ReputationRep:
    I find that the board-specific CGP books I have for each subject tend to suffice. Just make sure you aren't totally reliant on the revision guides and use a variety of resources (tons available online ) as well as your class exercise book for each subject, which should have some decent notes :^_^:

For maths I recommend you get your mitts on the Loughborough University Maths Cars (Google 'em up), just ask your teacher to order them for free. Letts do a decent maths guide for Edexcel Higher Tier Maths (unsure about the rest of the boards). Whatever you do, avoid CGP maths revision guides, I have bad experience with them :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgray11)
    What exam board are you on for Biology? If it is Edexcel then Salters Nuffield Biology books are REALLY good. I used it for my AS's last year and got a comfortable A in my exam and the A2 book seems to be great too CGP books are good but pretty basic, they only give enough information really for a grade C or around that. So it all depends on what you are aiming for

Good luck!
    Im doing AQA, I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    I'd definitely recommend the CGP Geography book. It's especially helpful if you do AQA to get the board-specific one. It's not the most detailed and only provides an overview, but for any processes or terms you don't understand, it's perfect.
    Yeah, I do AQA, and there were some the library at school and it seemed worryingly thin for a AS guide and a little breif... Maybe that's the point though, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grazy Cuy)
    I find that the board-specific CGP books I have for each subject tend to suffice. Just make sure you aren't totally reliant on the revision guides and use a variety of resources (tons available online ) as well as your class exercise book for each subject, which should have some decent notes :^_^:

For maths I recommend you get your mitts on the Loughborough University Maths Cars (Google 'em up), just ask your teacher to order them for free. Letts do a decent maths guide for Edexcel Higher Tier Maths (unsure about the rest of the boards). Whatever you do, avoid CGP maths revision guides, I have bad experience with them :banghead:
    thanks, I've always trusted CGP so I might do so again. And thanks for the Maths tips, I'm never sure what to do with Maths except past papers.

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone... i really like that emoticon above.... know how you feel....

ok. I am not sure if this is the right place to give this tip...but here goes...

for igcse add maths do check out this elearning site... the full yr 10 and yr 11 topics are there... click on some of their free teaching material and you will have an idea

http://www.themathscentre.com/igcse-additional-maths/

at this same site you will find alevels cie and alevels edexcel material and a 10 yr bank of exam questions and full solutions bank....

good luck...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.