Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before anyone mentions it: WE ARE ALLOWED to take one double sided piece of A4 paper into our exam which may contain equations useful for this exam. Specific, detailed, notes about topics are not allowed.

Problem is, they were a little vague about what can actually go into this sheet, and I want to know what sort of detail I can go into. I will obviously check with the university (I meet up on Monday) but so that I can make a headstart, I am writing most of it now.

For things like PV^n = Constant I have included a side note such as "Polytropic, n=1 when dT = 0". But is that too much detail do you think? I have also included some of the units for a few of the equations, just so I remember what they are. I know the obvious ones, but I don't want to be fussing around in an exam with that.

I'm also not sure if I need to include typical specific heat capacities. I'm not entirely sure if they're included in the questions. We have been given no past papers, purely the practice questions for tutorials. I have been really busy with other work that I haven't had a full look through them yet.

I'm also not sure if I can include mental notes like "Ru = Universal Gas Constant. R = Gas constant for instance air"

Any insight?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    They've pretty much set themselves up an arbitrary mandate there. Its their own stupid fault for being vague - either it is an open book exam or it isn't.

There's two ways to look at this: Either be conservative and don't include anything that may possibly be a problem, or don't be conservative and assume nobody will bother to look.

ReputationRep:
    Well they will definitely look, and the sheet will have to be confirmed for use in the exam (I don't know if they take all the sheets then hand them back out on the day or what).

It's not open book, but it's not closed either. I don't think I can include things like "Enthalpy is the total energy of a thermodynamic system", but I can write H= U + PV... Which is the definition in equation form!

I imagine I would have to memorise things like pressure conversions: 10^5Pa = 1 bar, and stuff like that. But for some of the equations, you need a definition for when they work. So I have included "While n>1" or small comments like those.

ReputationRep:
    That just sounds such a stupid system. Can't they just give you a formula sheet?

I don't think anyone could argue with qualifications of equations though.

ReputationRep:
    Another module, the one called maths, does give out an equation sheet for us. It would be nice if they'd do it for this exam too. I will have a word with the SU, because it's a little biased and doesn't really make much sense.

I'm literally taking 7 full sides of A4 equations and condensing them onto an A4 word document. There is a lot of stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Another module, the one called maths, does give out an equation sheet for us. It would be nice if they'd do it for this exam too. I will have a word with the SU, because it's a little biased and doesn't really make much sense.

I'm literally taking 7 full sides of A4 equations and condensing them onto an A4 word document. There is a lot of stuff!
    will this be ur first exam for mechanical engineering? what year are u in again? Sounds stressful and difficult hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    will this be ur first exam for mechanical engineering? what year are u in again? Sounds stressful and difficult hahaha
    First exam, first year!

A lot of equations, but they're pretty basic ones. All you have to do is pop the right number into the right place and you're golden... But you have to know which tool is right for the job. I estimate my page will have about 150-160 equations on by the time I am done! Not all of them are necessary, and some are pretty basic, but I don't want to be stuck without a paddle.

ReputationRep:
    First exam, first year!

A lot of equations, but they're pretty basic ones. All you have to do is pop the right number into the right place and you're golden... But you have to know which tool is right for the job. I estimate my page will have about 150-160 equations on by the time I am done! Not all of them are necessary, and some are pretty basic, but I don't want to be stuck without a paddle.
    150 whatt!!!!! :lolwut: no wonder they let u take a paper into the exam! So what are u allowed to have on the paper just equations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    150 whatt!!!!! :lolwut: no wonder they let u take a paper into the exam! So what are u allowed to have on the paper just equations?
    Many of them can be reasoned from earlier equations. Some are fairly unique to engineering. But yeah, there are quite a lot.

So yeah, that's what I'm not sure about - I think just equations, but I don't know how far I can bend the rules... For some equations, there has to be a set of guidelines with it. Some equations do not work in certain scenarios... So I'm wondering how many facts I can put with each equation just so I know which ones to use.

ReputationRep:
    Many of them can be reasoned from earlier equations. Some are fairly unique to engineering. But yeah, there are quite a lot.

So yeah, that's what I'm not sure about - I think just equations, but I don't know how far I can bend the rules... For some equations, there has to be a set of guidelines with it. Some equations do not work in certain scenarios... So I'm wondering how many facts I can put with each equation just so I know which ones to use.
    tell me how the exam goes when u do it!!! xD how long is it? Also are u allowed to just go if u have finished or is it like college where u have to wait for everyone else to finish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    tell me how the exam goes when u do it!!! xD how long is it? Also are u allowed to just go if u have finished or is it like college where u have to wait for everyone else to finish?
    I think it is a 2 hour exam. The really horrifically shocking thing (worse than the 150+ equations) is that it's on a Saturday!

I'm not sure about these big exams, but for smaller tests and class examinations, you can usually just walk out when you're done. That said, I usually finished college exams 30+ minutes early. At uni, I've been pushed a lot closer to the end of the test. The work isn't bad though!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a 2 hour exam. The really horrifically shocking thing (worse than the 150+ equations) is that it's on a Saturday!

I'm not sure about these big exams, but for smaller tests and class examinations, you can usually just walk out when you're done. That said, I usually finished college exams 30+ minutes early. At uni, I've been pushed a lot closer to the end of the test. The work isn't bad though!
    so have u already got ur small test results or do u get given those when the results for this exam ur doing come out? 2 hours on a Saturday? Christ have fun hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    so have u already got ur small test results or do u get given those when the results for this exam ur doing come out? 2 hours on a Saturday? Christ have fun hahaha
    It depends. Some lecturers are slower than others, and it depends on the assessment.

Sometimes it's just a case of doing a 1 hour online test (takes about 15 minutes) and you get the results within a week. For reports... Well, I did a 500 word report around the 20th November, and I haven't heard back from that one just yet. I do a weekly presentation to my tutor and you get the results back the following session.

So while it does vary, it's nicer than having a single "results day" like you do with GCSEs and A-levels. You can keep track better. For things like reports, it's useful to get feedback quickly so you can apply it to the next report.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.