Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want kids? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want kids?
    You don't want kids (Male)
    18.75%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (male)
    8.13%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Male)
    16.25%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Male)
    6.25%
    You don't want kids (Female)
    18.13%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (Female)
    26.25%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Female)
    4.38%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Female)
    1.88%

ReputationRep:
    This question is for men and women. Do you see yourself maybe 10 years down the line wanting kids? I personally never do but if you do, why? And what do you expect to happen? Would you stay at home and look after the kids? Would you sacrifice a career to do so? I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect who ever I windup with to do so either.

So basically, do you ever want kids?
    Would you give up you career to look after them?
    Would you want your partner to give up their career to look after them?
    Would you expect your partner to give up their career to look after them?

For the purpose of this question I'm going to leave out the possibility of employing a nanny.

Poll added.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess when I want to settle down with my boyfriend in the future, it would be nice to eventually have a few little mini me's running round. Not for a good few years yet though thanks! and why would I have to give up my career? I know many people who happily manage their careers whilst still having a family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    Yeah I guess when I want to settle down with my boyfriend in the future, it would be nice to eventually have a few little mini me's running round. Not for a good few years yet though thanks! and why would I have to give up my career? I know many people who happily manage their careers whilst still having a family.
    It depends on the career I guess.

ReputationRep:
    My view on children is not really represented here. I would like children much later on in my life (mid to late 30s). That said I want the career I aspire to more and wouldn't be prepaired to sacrifice that for my children. I wouldn't expect my partner to give his up for them either.

So it makes sense for me not to have them despite a desire to.

ReputationRep:
    I want kids but I wouldn't want to give up my career for them and nor do I expect my partner to give up his career for them, looks like I have a problem then lol.

ReputationRep:
    God no, there's enough arse's walking around without a little version of me!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do want kids but my sexual orientation dictates I will not have biological kids, nor do I want to pass on my undesirable genes.
    I do however want to adopt but I will not adopt anyone UNDER the age of 12 because I want them to know and understand that they will either have 1 or 2 dads.
    So, I will confront children at an adoption agency one at a time, I would like 2 kids, would typically like at least 1 boy because my cousin (female), oh, proper cow...

ReputationRep:
    There are currently more women who are willing to give up their career for kids on this poll. Can I have a reason why and why you wouldn't want your partner to surrender their career instead?

ReputationRep:
    Where's the adoption option? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Yes, I do want kids but my sexual orientation dictates I will not have biological kids, nor do I want to pass on my undesirable genes.
    I do however want to adopt but I will not adopt anyone UNDER the age of 12 because I want them to know and understand that they will either have 1 or 2 dads.
    So, I will confront children at an adoption agency one at a time, I would like 2 kids, would typically like at least 1 boy because my cousin (female), oh, proper cow...
    Why no surrogacy? And why do you consider your genes to be "undesirable"

ReputationRep:
    Where's the adoption option? :confused:
    Adoption goes under you do want kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clone93)
    This question is for men and women. Do you see yourself maybe 10 years down the line wanting kids? I personally never do but if you do, why? And what do you expect to happen? Would you stay at home and look after the kids? Would you sacrifice a career to do so? I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect who ever I windup with to do so either.

So basically, do you ever want kids?
    Would you give up you career to look after them?
    Would you want your partner to give up their career to look after them?
    Would you expect your partner to give up their career to look after them?

For the purpose of this question I'm going to leave out the possibility of employing a nanny.

Poll added.
    Yep, might even adopt too :3 (boyfriend approves of this idea so yay!)

Might give up my career... It depends how financially stable we are tbh

No, i dont think so, its personal preference. I dont mind leaving my job for my kids, if my partner wont that is their choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why no surrogacy? And why do you consider your genes to be "undesirable"
    Why would I bring MORE children into the world when there are thousands in this country who *could* want me as a parent?
    I don't see why someone would be so selfish as to create life instead of helping those who are already alive.

No offence to anybody of course.

Also, I am trying to distance myself from my father as much as possible, changing my name and everything when I get my first chance. =l

ReputationRep:
    This poll is pretty bad... where is the option of wanting kids, where you go back to work soon after?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want kids not now or ever. I did before and I'm good with kids as well but I just don't like the idea of wasting 18 years of my life. Just my way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want kids but I wouldn't give up my future career for them; nor would I ask my future partner to either.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I bring MORE children into the world when there are thousands in this country who *could* want me as a parent?
    I don't see why someone would be so selfish as to create life instead of helping those who are already alive.

No offence to anybody of course.

Also, I am trying to distance myself from my father as much as possible, changing my name and everything when I get my first chance. =l
    That's actually quite noble, I like the way you think. However I wouldn't do that either as I don't want to be responsible for another human being especially the vulnerable ones. I may change my mind but it's very unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I don't. I don't think I'd make a good parent, and looking after a child for 18 years doesn't sound appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstudent321)
    I don't want kids not now or ever. I did before and I'm good with kids as well but I just don't like the idea of wasting 18 years of my life. Just my way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A very valid way of thinking. My advise don't let cultural and social pressure persuaded you into changing your mind further down the line.

ReputationRep:
    A very valid way of thinking. My advise don't let cultural and social pressure persuaded you into changing your mind further down the line.
    Yes that's what I'm afraid of

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.