Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want kids? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want kids?
    You don't want kids (Male)
    18.75%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (male)
    8.13%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Male)
    16.25%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Male)
    6.25%
    You don't want kids (Female)
    18.13%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (Female)
    26.25%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Female)
    4.38%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Female)
    1.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstudent321)
    Yes that's what I'm afraid of

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's your life, do what you choose with it and ignore anyone who would get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, currently the poll suggests that women are more inclined to give up their career for kids. If any of these girls are about, can you explain why.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I want kids.
    Yes I might give up my career for them.
    No I would not want my partner to give up his career.
    No I would not expect him to either.

BOOOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wild Youth)
    Yes I want kids.
    Yes I might give up my career for them.
    No I would not want my partner to give up his career.
    No I would not expect him to either.

BOOOM
    Can I ask why you'd be willing to give up your career for kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clone93)
    It's your life, do what you choose with it and ignore anyone who would get in the way.
    I hope I do, thx. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also in proportions, why are do few women (according to the poll in it's current form) want their partner to give up their career for kids? And why do so may men (in proportions) want their partner to give up their career for kids? And why does no one expect their partner to give up their career? I find that hard to believe. Remember this poll is anonymous you will not be judged your your poll answer.

ReputationRep:
    Also in proportions, why are do few women (according to the poll in it's current form) want their partner to give up their career for kids? And why do so may men (in proportions) want their partner to give up their career for kids? And why does no one expect their partner to give up their career? I find that hard to believe. Remember this poll is anonymous you will not be judged your your poll answer.
    Its not. I just viewed the results and it told me who had voted what.

To answer your question, I wouldn't ask my partner to give up his career for any children we may have as I don't want to give mine up so I don't expect him to do something which I myself am not prepared to do. Therefore I will not have children.

ReputationRep:
    Im 22 and already broody for kids. Im not very career orientated, would love to have a family more, so if financial situations were ok and i didnt have to work, i would give up my career to be a mum/housewife. Would maybe get a part time job if i got insanely bored at home but for the most part its not my priority

ReputationRep:
    Since being a small child, I have always wanted to have children. Lots of them. I would gladly give up my career for the time when the child or children are somewhere around 5 to 7 years old and then consider getting back to the working life. I do want to work for a wee while before having children though. This idea was never encouraged when I was a child, but if I were to have children, I would gladly drop everything else as I see my own motherhood as a duty that I must finish with all of my heart. I'm not judging others with this though, I just can't see myself being a 'career mum', more like 'career: mum'.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, currently the poll suggests that women are more inclined to give up their career for kids. If any of these girls are about, can you explain why.
    I would because i feel that having a family, raising children, maybe even fostering is a much more worthwhile use of my time and efforts than a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCP)
    I don't. I don't think I'd make a good parent, and looking after a child for 18 years doesn't sound appealing.
    What happens after 18 years?

As for kids, I would love to have a couple - ideally a boy and girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    I would because i feel that having a family, raising children, maybe even fostering is a much more worthwhile use of my time and efforts than a job
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    What happens after 18 years?
    You chuck em out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would like to have kids someday but I want to be a Doctor if I get there, I wouldn't want to give up my career. I wouldn't expect my partner to give up their career either. There are other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstudent321)
    You chuck em out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, what's the obsession with 18 though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Haha, what's the obsession with 18 though?
    Because that's the age when they can look after themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Its not. I just viewed the results and it told me who had voted what.

To answer your question, I wouldn't ask my partner to give up his career for any children we may have as I don't want to give mine up so I don't expect him to do something which I myself am not prepared to do. Therefore I will not have children.
    My mistake. Still, no judgement. So it's less you don't children and more that you don't think you could maintain your lifestyle with children? If this is the case, can you be sure there'll be no resentment down the line over not having children?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why you'd be willing to give up your career for kids?
    You may

It's not that I don't have ambitions - I definitely do. But I'm also quite naturally mothering and can not see the rest of my life without either having my own biological children or adopting children. Therefore I have a feeling that when the time is right and I've found the right guy then I will want to have children and if it means giving up a career then I think I would.

I find joy in other things like art, music, drama and travelling. A career would be great and I think I would get a little bored without some kind of focus but it's not the be all and end all for me. Obviously I would have both a career and children if that was possible (my mumma managed it!) but if it came down to it then yeah... I would give up a career.

That's a little lengthy sorry

ReputationRep:
    Also, people who would want kids but aren't willing to surrender their career or expect your partner to do so. Would you be resentful towards your partner somewhere down the line due to the lack of the aforementioned non-existent kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wild Youth)
    You may

It's not that I don't have ambitions - I definitely do. But I'm also quite naturally mothering and can not see the rest of my life without either having my own biological children or adopting children. Therefore I have a feeling that when the time is right and I've found the right guy then I will want to have children and if it means giving up a career then I think I would.

I find joy in other things like art, music, drama and travelling. A career would be great and I think I would get a little bored without some kind of focus but it's not the be all and end all for me. Obviously I would have both a career and children if that was possible (my mumma managed it!) but if it came down to it then yeah... I would give up a career.

That's a little lengthy sorry
    Teacher in the making maybe?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.