Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want kids? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want kids?
    You don't want kids (Male)
    18.75%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (male)
    8.13%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Male)
    16.25%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Male)
    6.25%
    You don't want kids (Female)
    18.13%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (Female)
    26.25%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Female)
    4.38%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Female)
    1.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    if my partner made enough money to support us comfortably then maybe. It would depends who made more, if i had a higher salary and one of us HAD to give up work then i'd expect them to as it would be silly to give up the job with the higher income.
    Logical and fair enough

ReputationRep:
    if my partner made enough money to support us comfortably then maybe. It would depends who made more, if i had a higher salary and one of us HAD to give up work then i'd expect them to as it would be silly to give up the job with the higher income.
    But regardless you'd have kids?

ReputationRep:
    For the men who don't want kids, can you explain why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clone93)
    But regardless you'd have kids?
    not if i couldn't afford to give them and myself a good life, no.

ReputationRep:
    not if i couldn't afford to give them and myself a good life, no.
    Okay, thank you for your honesty.

ReputationRep:
    To those that don't want kids, how do you plan to spend your days when old aged? I'm not saying we procreate thinking about life in 50 years time but isn't that important?

(OP, I hope this is a reasonable post. Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    To those that don't want kids, how do you plan to spend your days when old aged? I'm not saying we procreate thinking about life in 50 years time but isn't that important?

(OP, I hope this is a reasonable post. Thanks)
    Very reasonable, I'm only annoyed that I didn't think of it.

ReputationRep:
    Very reasonable, I'm only annoyed that I didn't think of it.
    Haha, you've done enough for this as it is

But it's something I think a lot of people forget. I mean surely we don't, at the age we are at now, intend to spend our final days at a retirement home. I certainly wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstudent321)
    I don't want kids not now or ever. I did before and I'm good with kids as well but I just don't like the idea of wasting 18 years of my life. Just my way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. I used to want kids and everyone comments on how I'm good with kids (don't really see it myself tbh), but I liked being able to say goodbye to them (I used to help out at my local Brownie unit) and not have to look after them all the time. I'm also passionate about what I want to do with my life and there's no way I'd sacrifice that just to have a child. I also want to travel a lot, which isn't really possible with a small child, and when they're older I'd be confined to the school holidays, when everything'd be far more expensive!

Just my two cents really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    This. I used to want kids and everyone comments on how I'm good with kids (don't really see it myself tbh), but I liked being able to say goodbye to them (I used to help out at my local Brownie unit) and not have to look after them all the time. I'm also passionate about what I want to do with my life and there's no way I'd sacrifice that just to have a child. I also want to travel a lot, which isn't really possible with a small child, and when they're older I'd be confined to the school holidays, when everything'd be far more expensive!

Just my two cents really
    I'd like to refer you to Mr Advice's question above. Basically asking come old age how do you plan on spending your days if you choose not to have children?

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with DeeDee, unless I can afford to give my family a good life I would not have kids. But I do want to have kids some day, eithier biological or adoptive I don't mind. Career wise I would volunteer to "give up my career" in a sense. Because of the career path that I have chosen is art based I can go freelance and work at home whilst looking after my kids so that is not as much of an issue for me, but it all depends on finance. For example if I was making 80k a year (I wish XD) , my partner was making 35k and I could only make 15k a year going freelance then I would of course keep my full time job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the fence. However, I am kind of an anti-natalist and want to become sterilised through tubal ligation. If I ever want kids, adoption would be my option (sorry for the rhyming). For various reasons I would adopt older an older child, maybe 5 years and up. I would not be willing to give up, postpone or change my career for them. Neither do I want my spouse to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to refer you to Mr Advice's question above. Basically asking come old age how do you plan on spending your days if you choose not to have children?
    I'd fill my life with things I enjoy doing. Even when I did want to have children, I never expected them to look after me when I was older-I absolutely hate people doing things for me! I don't see why my children, if I had them, should be stuck looking after me when they should be out making something of their lives!

ReputationRep:
    For the men who don't want kids, can you explain why?
    Too much of a hassle for me & I don't think It'd bring me much joy compared to what I'd have to put in. I've seen a lot of adorable little children so I wouldn't say I detest them but am scared about the responsibilities I'd have to raise them effectively lol. Also the world is already overpopulated as it is so I'm just helping society right

ReputationRep:
    This question is for men and women. Do you see yourself maybe 10 years down the line wanting kids? I personally never do but if you do, why? And what do you expect to happen? Would you stay at home and look after the kids? Would you sacrifice a career to do so? I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect who ever I windup with to do so either.

So basically, do you ever want kids?
    Would you give up you career to look after them?
    Would you want your partner to give up their career to look after them?
    Would you expect your partner to give up their career to look after them?

For the purpose of this question I'm going to leave out the possibility of employing a nanny.

Poll added.
    yeh it's quite an unfair poll because you haven't got one saying " i would have kids and work at the same time" (female) there are many females out there in this world who have careers and children so yeah just a point LOL!! xxxxx nice thread anyways i love kids and i would only have one or two not like my friends who have already planned they're having like 4 WTF!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerry)
    yeh it's quite an unfair poll because you haven't got one saying " i would have kids and work at the same time" (female) there are many females out there in this world who have careers and children so yeah just a point LOL!! xxxxx nice thread anyways i love kids and i would only have one or two not like my friends who have already planned they're having like 4 WTF!! :confused:
    The poll is to serve a purpose of assessing our generations views of gender rolls and to see if past society's stigma on women who don't have kids is still in place in this day and age. I know that there are alternatives but let's ignore them for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerry)
    Were you to have kids and there was no alternative to either you or your partner giving up your career would you

1. Still have kids?
    2. Give up your career for the kids?
    3 Want your partner to give up their career to look after said kids?
    4. Expect your partner to give up their career to look after said kids?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I can't see myself wanting kids. I love spending time with my next-door neighbours kids (3 year old boy and 8 month old girl) but as someone said above, it's nice to be able to leave. They took me swimming when my Dad hurt his back and couldn't drive a few weeks ago and Clara was screaming for the whole journey home because she was tired and uncomfortable, I was so glad to get out of the car at home.

I also think I would have an issue with having someone being completely dependant on me, that's a lot of pressure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I'd fill my life with things I enjoy doing. Even when I did want to have children, I never expected them to look after me when I was older-I absolutely hate people doing things for me! I don't see why my children, if I had them, should be stuck looking after me when they should be out making something of their lives!
    I think he more means in terms of providing some human company, because, to be blunt, when you're old you're likely to have trouble getting out and about to visit people as are your friends of the same age (and some of them will be, you know, dead). Kids, and likely grandkids by the time you reach the age I'm talking about, are of a different generation so won't have these problems.

ReputationRep:
    Also, may I ask, why are so few men (according to the poll at this current time) unwilling to sacrifice their career for kids.
    Depends on which you look at it. From a biological standpoint could be that men have an 'innate' sense of responsibility to be the protector and provider for their family. I'd like to thing its something along the lines of that, but a more modernised sense of ideology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.