The Student Room Group

Do you want kids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Daniel__
Depends on which you look at it. From a biological standpoint could be that men have an 'innate' sense of responsibility to be the protector and provider for their family. I'd like to thing its something along the lines of that, but a more modernised sense of ideology.

Logical I suppose... okay, fair enough. Though from a purely sociological standpoint do you have any theories?
Original post by Clone93
You may not expect, but would you want your partner to give up your job instead of you (Once again I know there are further options but these are the ones I'm giving for the purpose of the poll. )

Noo because to be honest like I said I just want to be a mum so id feel so bad being at work while they were at home
Reply 82
the hoe i have children with better be workin or she out.
No, i wouldnt want to pass down my genes. That would be selfish.
Reply 84
Original post by Clone93
Logical I suppose... okay, fair enough. Though from a purely sociological standpoint do you have any theories?

Now that's open to interpretation - can literally range from anything i.e. commitment issues to plain freedom of choice. Whether or not people like to admit it, children are baggage so some sort of compensation is needed in order to feel the baggage is a worthwhile or a neccissity almost. I'd say its more widespread in men, due to the fact that women are more obliged to accept the idea of child-bearing as a worthwhile process due to the stereotype of the psychologically and emotional attachment that a nine month pregnancy and childbirth can bring whereas for a man its less common for them to develop said connections/relationships.
Absolutely, already have a bairn on the way.
why do i want kids and give up mine or my partner's career? this poll is so unrealistic, most couples work.
I would consider adopting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm undecided as to whether or not I actually want to have kids, but I certainly wouldn't give up my career to have them, and nor would I expect my partner to sacrifice their own career.

If I did have kids, then I would be heavily reliant on childcare. There's no saying that someone has to sacrifice their kids for the sake of their genes.
Reply 89
For me, children are wholly too consuming; perhaps, I am too selfish.
I do want kids and I wouldn't except my partner to give up her career for them nor would I.
Reply 91
I want multiple children :smile: I've always dreamed of having five :P I wouldn't give up my career and I wouldn't expect my partner to. Both my parents have full time public sector jobs and yet still have enough time and energy to have raised 5 children :smile:
Sure, maybe, one day. Who knows what will happen. If it never happens I won't tear myself up over it.
Reply 93
I definitely want kids. 10 years time I'll be 30 and I'd expect one to at least on the way by then. I'd want my partner to stay at home with them, obviously if they had a well paying job it might be worth getting a nanny but... a kid needs it's mum.
Reply 94
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm undecided as to whether or not I actually want to have kids, but I certainly wouldn't give up my career to have them, and nor would I expect my partner to sacrifice their own career.

If I did have kids, then I would be heavily reliant on childcare. There's no saying that someone has to sacrifice their kids for the sake of their genes.

The poll isn't so much asking what's more realistic but rather society's view on the matter. So yes childcare is realistic but in this scenario let's say it isn't available. All that's available are the options provided
Reply 95
Yes, in the future definitely.
Original post by Clone93
This question is for men and women. Do you see yourself maybe 10 years down the line wanting kids? I personally never do but if you do, why? And what do you expect to happen? Would you stay at home and look after the kids? Would you sacrifice a career to do so? I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect who ever I windup with to do so either.

So basically, do you ever want kids?

yes one day

Would you give up you career to look after them?

no

Would you want your partner to give up their career to look after them?

no

Would you expect your partner to give up their career to look after them?

no

For the purpose of this question I'm going to leave out the possibility of employing a nanny.

Poll added.

i think most people would opt for kids. i don't want to have children for the sake of it, however i think people in their 30s start to, after years of doing just about nothing but having fun, want to bring children up. i guess it's a mixture of teaching and other things.

it also depends on the person. i wouldn't like to do it by myself but i assume if i was lucky enough not to then yes.
The person who earns less money gives up their career. Or you get a nanny. It's quite simple really.
Reply 98
It's hard to answer with those poll options. There's no way for me to know what would make the most sense if I ever have children. For example if the mother has a crap, low paying job which she hates, maybe it would make sense for her to give it up. Conversely, if she has a brilliant high paying job, maybe it would make more sense for me to give up my job.

I suppose I'd go with "would give up a career for them" because I would be willing to do that if it made sense, and that's what both of us think is best. But I still think it's a poor question.
Reply 99
Original post by Clone93
My mistake. Still, no judgement. So it's less you don't children and more that you don't think you could maintain your lifestyle with children? If this is the case, can you be sure there'll be no resentment down the line over not having children?

Its not so much tht I don't think I could maintain the lifestyle- I probably could but I can't have my cake and eat it. Something would suffer. Either my sanity or the children's happiness and wellbeing. Probably both. I don't think it would be fair on my children to put them under the stress of constant upheaval and a mother who could not always be there for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending