Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want kids? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want kids?
    You don't want kids (Male)
    18.75%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (male)
    8.13%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Male)
    16.25%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Male)
    6.25%
    You don't want kids (Female)
    18.13%
    You do want kids and would give up a career for them (Female)
    26.25%
    You would want your partner to give up their career for them. (Female)
    4.38%
    You'd expect your partner to give up their career (Female)
    1.88%

ReputationRep:
    I would like 2 boys (maybe 1 boy and 1 girl) but from what I can see, girls are MUCH HARDER to look after than boys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clone93)
    The poll is to serve a purpose of assessing our generations views of gender rolls and to see if past society's stigma on women who don't have kids is still in place in this day and age. I know that there are alternatives but let's ignore them for the time being.
    No honestly there is no stigma anymore, if anything people get stigma for not having a career and "just raising kids". Lol ask my family what's important, its a no brainer really I feel silly writing this. Kids are more important than a career, money is for spending, nothing more, if I have a partner in the future that wanted kids but didn't want to give up her career, I'd happily give up mine if she was serious, family makes a home a career makes a house. I feel sorry for people who say otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Neutral - if I was with someone who desperately wanted them, I'd be ok with it. Similarly, if I was with someone who didn't, I wouldn't be bothered. The problem comes with what if he's neutral too..?

I've always been neutral, can't decide if that's a good thing or not (oh, the irony. :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    Tough one. Atm I don't think that my gf and I are mature enough. But I can't see my mindset changing a whole lot in just 10 years. But, by that time I'd be 28. And that sounds old enough to have a few kids, let alone the first.

It'd be nice to have a responsibility as big as your own child, and to see the affects of your own upbringing on them though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    When you're old bowling won't be what it is today - your body and mind won't have the capability or desire to bowl. At old age, I don't think there's anything more satisfying that seeing your grandchild say his first word, walk his first step, give you a smile, a hug etc. Nothing is better, not even any amount of money.

Each to their own, everyone has different things they love. You don't know how much the person will love bowling when they're old - maybe they'll become total bowling maniacs.

ReputationRep:
    That is a statement only a young person with no kids could make! I have 2 children, I am 30 and had my eldest at 25. I consider I was a bit too young but not dreadfully!

I was made redundant from my only job relating to my engineering degree, the industry wasn't stable so I started doing something I loved dance. I then set up my own dance school and found out I was pregnant shortly after. Don't get me wrong, I contemplated the whole "that's it my life is over, best quit work and save up for nappies then settle in a council flat and claim benefits" idea. Most people see that as the only choice...

It is a choice, I didn't choose it! I thought screw you why should having a child stop me?! I ran that business for 6 years, hired people to teach for me during pregnancy and expanded across the uk. I set up an international dance comp when my child was 1 and I had the best social life I've ever had! I met my husband and moved to a new city, got a full time job on decent salary and had another child... I didn't stop! I registered for the OU to study a new degree and started 2 days after my due date. I got a 2:1 whilst studying full time points, running a business, planning and getting married and acting as executor on a will all whilst suffering depression from the death of my dad, grandma and uncle during that time. Ps I've cut back a bit on what I'm doing now, my youngest is nearly 2 and I'm starting my PGCE course tomorrow and quit work last week!

My point is things only stop you if you let them. If you don't, then having kids is just another obstacle like illness, moving home etc. but one with infinite moments of pleasure. You may not want kids for other reasons but preventing you from a career or studying should not be one of them, you may slow down for a bit if you choose to though!

Ps although I was in no way maternal at 24 I wanted kids one day. Now I wouldn't change them for the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do want kids but wouldn't give up my career. I'm sure there is a way to manage it all.

ReputationRep:
    Basically for me.

Do I want kids yes.
    However, since I am unlikely to have bio kids (given my sexual attraction to females are non-existent), I would like to adopt 2-3 kids, although the kids would have to be AT LEAST 12 so I could explain to them they could end up with 2 dads and then let them make the decision to be adopted by me.

Also, I have seen my cousin who is female and don't think I could look after girls. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I am childfree, therefore I do not want kids. Not now, not ever.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth is there not an option to have a career and a family? My parents did both, and my brother was triple the work - he's middle spectrum autistic, and a right handful. Seems arbitrary to assume someone has to stay home - that's what school is for.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lots haha! I'd give up my career to look after them if we were financially able to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clone93)
    May I ask why?
    I always liked the thought of having a legacy. A little mini version of me that i could pass everything on to. I also like the thought of watching them grow and learn, exciting.

I've always wanted a big family, a career means pretty much nothing to me. Money means nothing to me either, as long as i have enough to stay alive them i'm happy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.