Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

deleted

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm applying for Mental Health Nursing also. I don't have any nursing experience, I work with children with special needs and have related the skills I have to those that are needed for nursing. I've been offered an interview on Jan 16th
    What makes you think you don't stand a chance? If you're doing an access course that already shows you're motivated Do you have any experience you can use in your ps? As it's very competitive you just need to demonstrate that you really want it and you're the right person for the course. There's no reason why you can't be one of the lucky few
    Good luck!
    Em

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    don't give up! I'm not sure why you think that people applying are already going to be qualified nurses? I think training once will be enough for most people, and because you decide which branch you want to study before applying, I wouldn't have thought there would be a cross over afterwards. If you can get some experience before you apply (volunteering?) it may give you the advantage and therefore you're offered a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    I have my heart set on mental health nursing in 2013. I have always been aware of the high competitiveness in this field I thought I stood at least a chance.

I have just received an email from my main choice regarding applicant to place ratio and personal desirability info. This is what it said.

"We have 27 commissioned places for Mental Health Nursing and receive around 250-300 applications."

I am half way through an access course and feel like there is no point, what is the point when probably 50% or more of the applicants are already qualified nurses with at least a years experience.

Hey!

I am also a Mental Health applicant this year, but am in the middle of my final year of a degree and did the A-Levels route. I don't have any proper nursing experience as of yet, and I'm feeling the same as you after having two rejections (one from my initial first choice).
    Don't give up though, give it a shot, you never know! I've had two interviews (one rejection, one in March) so far. The best thing to do it just try your best, and if you don't get in straight away but you're really committed to nursing, there's always clearing or early next year entry.

Hope everything goes okay

ReputationRep:
    I have also applied for mental health nursing at 3 universities and have no experience in a workplace environment with people with mental disabilities, but I have detailed my experience with my family members who suffer from various mental conditions. I received an email from Plymouth asking for scans of my access course results (I finished it last year and took a year out) and can't decide whether this is a routine thing or if they might be interested or not (why would they want proof now, don't unis normally request it after offering a place?)! But, I'm trying not to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think qualified nurses will be on the course? Conversion courses & top-up degrees are different to pre-reg nursing education.

Experience isn't everything. There are people in my cohort who had little experience before doing the degree. They'll be looking to see what sort of you person you are. Don't be disheartened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    I have my heart set on mental health nursing in 2013. I have always been aware of the high competitiveness in this field I thought I stood at least a chance.

I have just received an email from my main choice regarding applicant to place ratio and personal desirability info. This is what it said.

"We have 27 commissioned places for Mental Health Nursing and receive around 250-300 applications."

I am half way through an access course and feel like there is no point, what is the point when probably 50% or more of the applicants are already qualified nurses with at least a years experience.

I have a psychology degree but zero health care experience or any volunteering. With that I still got an offer from my first choice university so it's not a lost cause.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    At one of my open days I remember the guy saying that there are a lot of people who apply for nursing (and other subjects) but have no chance at all of getting the grades required by the university. He said there are also some people who don't show any passion or enthusiasm for nursing in their PS, and others who just list their hobbies in their PS and relate nothing to why it would make them a good nurse.

I've also been told that because of the tuition fee rise, lots more people are applying to study nursing because it's one of the only courses that is paid for, and people want less debt.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.