Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm worried about being along in University... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting Uni in September 2013, and I'm kind of worried I won't make any new friends, i'm a bit awkward at times, does anyone have any tips for me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone feels this way I know I did. Don't worry everyones in the same boat you just slowly adapt and you just find your friends without even looking

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has the same worries, and everyone is in the same boat in terms of not knowing anyone else! Just make sure you talk to people, accept invitations to social things and so on. You could also join a society, so that you meet people with the same interest as you.

I tend to think that university is a bit more forgiving for the socially awkward than secondary school is. I have friends and acquaintances who you just know (whether or not they've told you directly!) were bullied at secondary school, but who have friends and an active social life at university.

ReputationRep:
    GO TO EVERYTHING.

&

SPEAK TO EVERYONE, not just people who already know.

First week is where is everybody is Open and Friendly. After that FIRST WEEK, everyone has mostly formed their circles/groups.. And that's it, some people can turn hostile to new people.

If you haven't got a group by then, you might be by yourself for the whole year.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally be more worried meeting my offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuarezAlonso)

First week is where is everybody is Open and Friendly. After that FIRST WEEK, everyone has mostly formed their circles/groups.. And that's it, some people can turn hostile to new people.

If you haven't got a group by then, you might be by yourself for the whole year.
    That is not necessarily true and don't let it put you off!
    If you are moving away to uni you should find that living with other people is a good way to make friends. Not only will you know your flat/hall mates but people they bring into the house as well. One of my closest friends at uni was the friend of a flat mate. And finding some non-students friends, maybe through part time work, can be pretty beneficial.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isotala)
    That is not necessarily true and don't let it put you off!
    If you are moving away to uni you should find that living with other people is a good way to make friends. Not only will you know your flat/hall mates but people they bring into the house as well. One of my closest friends at uni was the friend of a flat mate. And finding some non-students friends, maybe through part time work, can be pretty beneficial.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Not necessarily true, but often the case. Also Flatmates is just pot-luck.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly you should try to find your flatmates/people in nearby flats online once you have been allocated a room in halls. If you don't find anyone/your flatmates don't want to go out/you just want more people to go out with then just go round the halls knocking on doors to find people. There are then people on your course to meet in seminars and people in any societies you've joined. If you still don't have any friends then try other societies. If you seriously don't find any friends through doing all of this then you'll likely end up having to post online asking for people to join you househunting for 2nd year, which is likely to pair you up with people who will want to make more friends as if they were uninterested in being friends they'd just rebook their room in halls to make things easier. There are then opportunities to make friends if you get a part-time job or do some volunteering.

Basically there are so many opportunities to make friends at uni that if you want friends it should be no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Guys my parents aren't letting me move out because I won't afford it, the University i'm going to is in my city :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyph)
    Guys my parents aren't letting me move out because I won't afford it, the University i'm going to is in my city :l
    how do you know you wont afford it? have you looked at what you'll recieve from SF compared with the cost of halls

ReputationRep:
    You must must MUST join a society. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Be open to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyph)
    I'll be starting Uni in September 2013, and I'm kind of worried I won't make any new friends, i'm a bit awkward at times, does anyone have any tips for me?
    Hello! My first piece of advice to you is not to worry; I felt exactly the same as you when I was waiting for university to begin since I am a very introverted person, and I felt really annoyed when people just said to be open and talk to everyone. But I can assure you it is nowhere near as tricky as I thought it would be; you don't have to go around talking to everyone if you don't want to, though some people do. My second piece of advice, for when you get there, is definitely to join a club or society; my course has lectures with 400+ people in, so making friends through societies was a lot less intimidating. Plus, you can guarantee that you'll have something in common to talk about at a society, and with most universities there are societies for loads of things you wouldn't expect!

(Original post by Kyph)
    Living at home is not completely unheard of, but the reason's a bit strange...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyph)
    In that case go to a supermarket, purchase some alcohol and go to the nearest halls for your uni on the first week of Freshers around 7-8pm. Knock on all the doors and ask who's up for pre-drinks. It shouldn't be long before you reach a flat who invites you in.

Also that only removes hallmates and people looking for accommodation next year. You can still make friends with people on your course, in any societies you join and through any job/work experience/volunteering you do.

And as someone else has already posted make sure you check the finance you would be entitled to as you might find you get enough to pay for halls out of your loan with money left over for food etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuarezAlonso)
    GO TO EVERYTHING.

&

SPEAK TO EVERYONE, not just people who already know.

This absolutely is not true. I've been at uni since september and I am still meeting new people all the time and I'm not particularly a sociable person! It's true that little groups start to form but that's maybe after the first month that it may become difficult/awkward to meet new people*, but hopefully you should have your own little group going by then OP! Because there would have been plenty of opportunity to talk to other people. Oh and if you see someone sat on their own looking a bit miserable, sit with them and talk to them like they are a friend you've known for years. The first couple of weeks are basically the only socially acceptable time (in life, ever) to do this! Introduce yourself then ask the basics - their name, where they are from, what they studied at college, if they live on campus, ask whether they're going to a fresher's fair? (opportunity - offer to go with them!), ask them how they are feeling.
    * this refers to your lectures, which is why I encourage you to join a few societies, at least 3.

ReputationRep:
    arrive dressed as a pikachu, that's sure to break the ice with everyone you see

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.