Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You'll say you need economics but I'm told BA economics is no good either you need BsC. I don't have the maths a level required by nearly all for BsC economics..

Will I be able to change to economics after first year or anything?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaSmith)
    You'll say you need economics but I'm told BA economics is no good either you need BsC. I don't have the maths a level required by nearly all for BsC economics..

The idea that you need BSc Economics is nonsense, wouldn't matter whether you did BA or not. Depends what university, but most the people studying business-type degrees come from top schools in mainland Europe. Answer to the last question will (obviously) depend on your university.

ReputationRep:
    So I could be okay with a business degree?

ReputationRep:
    So I could be okay with a business degree?

Uni name is equally if not more important. Which unis would you be looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Offers from Sheffield Liverpool UEA and Glasgow (4 year)

ReputationRep:
    Only Glasgow 4 year the rest are three by the way

ReputationRep:
    Only Glasgow 4 year the rest are three by the way

It would be an uphill battle for you. It's not impossible, but getting into ''front office" will be difficult. What's the rest of your story like? Do you have connections, routes to valuable work experience, extra-curriculars, strong A-levels?

ReputationRep:

you do need a good uni , otherwise your chances are lower and they are more likely to pick students from a good universities like UCL, LSE , OXBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, WARICK . going to one of these uni increases your chances significantly , but it is not impossible to get into banking by going to other unis , but to get into front office would be very unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm screwed! I was in young enterprise (more business related) a levels should be ABB, gonna have to settle for something less 'flashy' than investment banking I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RYRK)
    you do need a good uni , otherwise your chances are lower and they are more likely to pick students from a good universities like UCL, LSE , OXBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, WARICK . going to one of these uni increases your chances significantly , but it is not impossible to get into banking by going to other unis , but to get into front office would be very unlikely.
    You forgot CAMFORD, OXFORD, and FORDBRIDGE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimalSpirit)
    You forgot CAMFORD, OXFORD, and FORDBRIDGE
    what??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, business students at Glasgow sit economics 1A/1B in first year, if you do well enough you may be able to switch courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RYRK)
    what??:confused:
    Oxbridge isn't a university - it's a term used to refer to two universities: Oxford and Cambridge. Also, it was probably just a typo but Warwick has an extra w in it.

ReputationRep:

If you want to be an ibanker, why on earth are you doing a business degree? 99% of them are utter crap. Especially as you don't have Maths a-level, you can kiss that career path goodbye. I'm sorry but it's better to be harsh now than set you up for almost guaranteed disappointment.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not going to happen unless Daddy is one unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I already said I'm screwed so don't get on your high horse.. 99% of one of the most popular courses at university are all crap, shut up you **** *******

ReputationRep:

Thats nonsense, as long as it's from a respectable uni, it won't be held agaisnt you. Altho tbh, there's only LSE, Bath, Warwick, UCL and KCL i can think of for undergrad... A few years ago, Durham woulda been on the list, but I haven't seen anyone from there in quite a while

ReputationRep:
    Do you work as an IB?

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield gives me little hope then? Lol?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.