Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    all of which require you to be maths literate and be able to understand the aforementioned algorithms and models.
    Er, no.

Only a very small proportion of people in the industry need to do that stuff. Most of the maths involved is pretty trivial.

I don't know why people have this idea that bankers are rocket scientists. Perhaps because they get paid so much they assume that they must have some brilliance? They don't.

ReputationRep:
    You will not be an investment banker with a degree from Sheffield Liverpool UEA or Glasgow, regardless of subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Er, no.

Only a very small proportion of people in the industry need to do that stuff. Most of the maths involved is pretty trivial.

I don't know why people have this idea that bankers are rocket scientists. Perhaps because they get paid so much they assume that they must have some brilliance? They don't.
    it is not the case that only rocket scientists have some brilliance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Er, no.

I have that idea because that is what I was told when I did work experience at EBRD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mirey)
    I don't think I've seen a single application, both for Internships and full time grad jobs that have asked for GCSEs (except the big 4, oddly)

Maybe spring weeks, I can see them being partially relevant, then as you won't have any grades back from uni.

They might be around on spring weeks, I never applied to one.
    I might have filled in GCSEs for some apps, but I don't fully recall. But nonetheless, they'll be on a lot of peoples CVs (in abbreviated form perhaps) and they are certainly a partial determinant of university application success. The latter point is crucial, because university does matter. It's not the be all and end all, but it definitely counts for something (in some divisions more than others, I find).

ReputationRep:
    Will a chemistry or physics degree suffice for finance?

ReputationRep:
    Physics is very good, Chemistry is Good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahflossie)
    This isn't necessarily true, when I was trying to decide between doing a business degree or an economics degree, I asked the head of social sciences at Liverpool uni when I went to look around and she said IB firms look for a 2:1 or higher, doesn't matter which degree you do, and to choose the one you think you'll perform better in. Theres no point in doing an economics degree and struggling, getting a 2:2 or below because that will completely rule you out. An economics degree might make you a more appealing candidate, but theres no reason why you can't go into investment banking with a business degree if that's what you're committed to do
    And your Head of Social Sciences has worked at IB before?

I've done an internship at DB and Stanley in Tech MO, I saw the complete intern list and I can guarantee to you right now that not one person had a business degree. You can get a First in Business from York, Sheffield or some other 2nd tier Russell Group, you'll still be put at a lower level than 2:1's from Oxbridge, UCL, etc. .

Also, this forum has the highest population of carebears ever. I post a harsh (and I admitted it was harsh) but accurate statement, get downvotes. What should I have said? "Yes TC, go on! It's worth a try and I think you'll get in for sure! BTW you're very pretty ))) "

ReputationRep:
    how about Business Management from KCL??? Is that good enough for IB???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaSmith)
    Offers from Sheffield Liverpool UEA and Glasgow (4 year)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Have you applied for BA Business Studies or BA Business Economics at Liverpool?

If you've applied for BA Business Economics, you may be able to transfer to BSc Economics after first year if you get a high mark in the maths and stats modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsnut)
    . In order of desirability: Maths, Economics, Physics, Computing, Chemistry all at a first are the top degrees to have without one of those the chances are severely reduced.
    No, no, no. I wish people would stop putting this nonsense without at least drawing the necessary distinctions between IB division and universities. First, if you are a top university, the importance of your degree subject diminishes. Second, the majority of people in my sample are/were economics students (many with european business degrees too), and this is across all divisions. You do not need to be, nor are expected to be, nor wanted to be a rocket scientist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityInterest)
    No, no, no. I wish people would stop putting this nonsense without at least drawing the necessary distinctions between IB division and universities. First, if you are a top university, the importance of your degree subject diminishes. Second, the majority of people in my sample are/were economics students (many with european business degrees too), and this is across all divisions. You do not need to be, nor are expected to be, nor wanted to be a rocket scientist.
    While I would have agreed with you 5-6 years ago, it's so competitive to get into now that they do want the most mathematically skilled and economically minded people, these people did these degrees. Plus rocket scientists are stupid! Theoretical Physicists is where its at! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsnut)
    While I would have agreed with you 5-6 years ago, it's so competitive to get into now that they do want the most mathematically skilled and economically minded people, these people did these degrees. Plus rocket scientists are stupid! Theoretical Physicists is where its at! :cool:
    No, no they do not. You fundamentally misunderstand or ignore the entire hiring process.

First, for some areas, your quantitative ability is paramount, but most roles don't require advanced mathematical knowledge. Quick arithmetic and the ability to hold multiple variables in your head suffices.

Second, areas like sales and M&A lend themselves to non-scientists (this isn't intended to be unfair to scientists). You have to be personable and straightforwardly bright. Do I spend 16hrs a day with this guy because he can do calculus, or this guy because he's nice to be around?

Third, you seem to equate all bankers with quants. It is the minority of bankers I've met that have done especially quantitative, non-economics/finance degrees.

Banks do not aim to recruit you just because of your quant ability, there are so many other factors. They recruit the most well-rounded. I think you're greatly overestimating any effect of the crisis on this. Job roles and requirements don't change.

Stick to doing your a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Ive done 2 weeks at deutsche bank and going back for another in the summer, as they asked me back again. Firstly I must say that the most important thing to get into IB is most definitely the contacts you have and work experience!

Of course they want someone with mathematical knowledge, but this is not completely necessary as they teach you loads of stuff during your first year in IB, like sending you on courses etc.

Another thing is do not think that IB have set hours, they most certainly dont! The last time I was their, there were a couple of people that hadnt been home so they had worked from 8am on the tuesday and went home at 11am the wednesday, and might i add this wasnt just a one off.

IB is very varied in the amount of roles you can do, but you really need to look into the possibilities, to make sure you choose the right roll for you.

The people I met, knew exactly what their role was, and also what everyone elses in their departments involved. They were all pleasant people considering the crazy hours they have to work.

Personally, I think, the most important things you need to be are motivated, good communications, and have good time management including meeting deadlines.

You also have to be able to get along with everyone you work with, not only because you are in the office for long hours but also because you dont know who has an influence on getting you fired etc, people throughout the entire bank talk, and if they feel you arent up to it you'll be gone

Oh and I also spoke about Unis the last time I was there, obvs if you go to a top one it adds to your CV, they do look down on low/'rubbish' unis, but if you go to an average one they dont really take it into consideration, like i plan to go portsmouth and they said that'll be good - im doing european business w/german

So to be honest I would stick to the business degree if its what you want to do, for one you will more likely get higher like a first as you enjoy it and also, you are paying a high price, and going to have to spend the next four years doing it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahc28)
    Ive done 2 weeks at deutsche bank and going back for another in the summer, as they asked me back again. Firstly I must say that the most important thing to get into IB is most definitely the contacts you have and work experience!

Of course they want someone with mathematical knowledge, but this is not completely necessary as they teach you loads of stuff during your first year in IB, like sending you on courses etc.

Another thing is do not think that IB have set hours, they most certainly dont! The last time I was their, there were a couple of people that hadnt been home so they had worked from 8am on the tuesday and went home at 11am the wednesday, and might i add this wasnt just a one off.

IB is very varied in the amount of roles you can do, but you really need to look into the possibilities, to make sure you choose the right roll for you.

The people I met, knew exactly what their role was, and also what everyone elses in their departments involved. They were all pleasant people considering the crazy hours they have to work.

Personally, I think, the most important things you need to be are motivated, good communications, and have good time management including meeting deadlines.

You also have to be able to get along with everyone you work with, not only because you are in the office for long hours but also because you dont know who has an influence on getting you fired etc, people throughout the entire bank talk, and if they feel you arent up to it you'll be gone

Oh and I also spoke about Unis the last time I was there, obvs if you go to a top one it adds to your CV, they do look down on low/'rubbish' unis, but if you go to an average one they dont really take it into consideration, like i plan to go portsmouth and they said that'll be good - im doing european business w/german

So to be honest I would stick to the business degree if its what you want to do, for one you will more likely get higher like a first as you enjoy it and also, you are paying a high price, and going to have to spend the next four years doing it!

Uh-huh, sounds fascinating you should write a novel.

ReputationRep:
    What about a management degree from warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed68)
    That's fine. It's from Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    That's fine. It's from Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Going from previous posts the guy seems inept, Warick aint gonna help you here buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed68)
    (Original post by SW1X)
    Going from previous posts the guy seems inept, Warick aint gonna help you here buddy.
    Lol that mohamed68 is always making **** and dumb threads, i used to think he was like 13 haha he's clueless for a 19 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Lol that mohamed68 is always making **** and dumb threads, i used to think he was like 13 haha he's clueless for a 19 year old
    Pot, Kettle, Black.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.