Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are my GCSE grades rubbish? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are these grades good enough for entry into a top university? I haven't taken my A levels yet but I will be taking Physics, Maths, Biology and English Language.

Maths - A
    Physics - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    English Language - A*
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Geography - A
    RS - A
    German - A
    Dance - B

It's just I see lots of people with something stupid like 11 A*s and such. I really want to get into a top university as well, do I have a chance? I'm quite an involved person and have several things to put on my application form but are those grades going to bring me down? specifically the B?
    Really quite worried as to whether I stand a chance, please shed some light on this?!
    Thank you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Define top university, and what course?
    I got 2A* 5A 3B and not great AS and have got offers from exeter and nottingham, waiting for durham, york and bristol (politics)

ReputationRep:
    You have 1 B out of all that, the rest are A or A*. I think you'll be fine considering I got 1 C, 5 D, 2 E and an F at GCSE and I'm still going to a decent uni in September. (John Moores).

Edit: Why the neg? Do you not believe my grades, or that I got into JMU?

ReputationRep:
    No they are terrible.

Pft.. are my GCSE grades rubbish. Honestly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No I hear the russel group really want at least an A in GCSE dance, sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilotHolly)
    Are these grades good enough for entry into a top university? I haven't taken my A levels yet but I will be taking Physics, Maths, Biology and English Language.

Maths - A
    Physics - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    English Language - A*
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Geography - A
    RS - A
    German - A
    Dance - B

It's just I see lots of people with something stupid like 11 A*s and such. I really want to get into a top university as well, do I have a chance? I'm quite an involved person and have several things to put on my application form but are those grades going to bring me down? specifically the B?
    Really quite worried as to whether I stand a chance, please shed some light on this?!
    Thank you.

You'll only bring yourself down if you compare your grades to the likes of people on this website. I got AAABBBBBBD and got offers from 3 top universities (Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham) for a really competitive course (Biomedical Science) . They look more for A-Level predictions and how good your personal statement is. GCSE grades only matter if you are applying for a course like Medicine, Dentistry or Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, seriously OP shut up. -_-

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in french AS, and a B and C at GCSE in German and Drama... I have an offer for Imperial and got an interview at Cambridge (Cmon tomorrow!)... You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moogoomonkey)
    I got an E in french AS, and a B and C at GCSE in German and Drama... I have an offer for Imperial and got an interview at Cambridge (Cmon tomorrow!)... You'll be fine
    What were your grades in total?

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamG)
    Define top university, and what course?
    I got 2A* 5A 3B and not great AS and have got offers from exeter and nottingham, waiting for durham, york and bristol (politics)
    One of the top 20 or so in the league tables, I quite like the look of Durham, Warwick and Bath. In terms of a course, something along the lines of Astronomy or Astrophysics. I want to go into the RAF, hopefully as a pilot, and I was told to get a degree first before applying.

Thank you for replying everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moogoomonkey)
    Wow well done! Good luck for your interview I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting about 5 Ds before looking at the op, but then i remembered this is the student room -_-

ReputationRep:
    Trollololololol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    What were your grades in total?

Posted from TSR iPad
    GCSE

5A*s
    4As
    B
    C
    E (French AS taken early, it was forced upon us...)

AS

4As

A2 Predictions

A*A*AA
    a (in self taught further maths AS)

I'm just saying, don't be disheartened by getting one or 2 low grades... As long as they aren't in critical subjects, as in for me I'm doing aeronautics so if that E was in maths or physics there would be no way for me to get into any university let alone Imperial or Cambridge...

Good luck! Anyone else waiting for their Cambridge letter to arrive today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilotHolly)
    One of the top 20 or so in the league tables, I quite like the look of Durham, Warwick and Bath. In terms of a course, something along the lines of Astronomy or Astrophysics. I want to go into the RAF, hopefully as a pilot, and I was told to get a degree first before applying.

Thank you for replying everyone.

Why do you need a degree to be become a pilot?

ReputationRep:
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If yours are rubbish mine must be just downright diabolical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Why do you need a degree to be become a pilot?
    It means you can join straight off as an officer. Also they're not recruiting aircrew for another few years so there would be no point me applying when they're not interested. It's just what I've been told by the career officer.

ReputationRep:
    No. GCSE's only matter for Oxbridge and subjects like medicine/dentistry/vetmed. Otherwise, as long as you have good passes in science/maths/english and of of course whatever subject you want to do at degree level you will be fine getting into a russel group uni. They care more about A-levels than if you got a D in Geography at GCSE or whatever.

Your GCSE's are great though! They are above average and are easily high enough to get you into a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have good Gcse predictions according to my Gcse mocks.i have been predicted an A additional science,B English Lang (exam all I need is a b considering my Cousework),A maths,c geog,B German , B English lit,A history,A* RE.if I get these result hopefully is that suitable for medicine.I am taking A level biology and chem by the way. Would any univeristies take me since I am desperate for medicine.i know it's a bit early to ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.