Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hope this is the right place to put this, if not please move it

Not sure if anyone else has been in this situation or knows anything about it, but thought I'd ask.

I've worked at the same company for about 2 years on and off. In this time I've been laid off 3 times. The last time I got laid off was at the start of December, along with the majority of the company. I also got paid 3 weeks late, so did a lot of the other people that worked there, as the company literally had no money to pay us.

Obviously with me getting laid off, I signed on. As I was only temporarily laid off again, I didn't have to enter into a Jobseekers Agreement, as I am still classed as employed.

Anyway, today I get a call from my boss offering me another position at the company which I decided to turn down. I was told that turning down this position would mean handing in my resignation, which is fair enough.

I would rather move out of that sector of work and find a job with better security, even for less pay if I have to (not really bothered about the money if its more secure).

I don't really want to go back working there when chances are I'll only get laid off in a couple of months again anyway, as the business sector is drying up, especially when there is no guarantee that I will be paid for me work.

My question is; as this is classed as resigning from my job, will I lose my jobseekers allowance? Not too fussed if I do, as I'm pretty confident I can find another job within the next month or so anyway, and I do have enough money saved up to live off. But would rather have it than not obviously.

1) The Job offered was different to my previous job. It was actually working for a different department.

2) I wasn't actually working for the company when I chose to resign.

3) There is no guarantee that I will get paid.

4) Chances are I will get laid off again in the near future.

Any knowledge or past experience in this area would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowa...er-information

Worth checking this

ReputationRep:
    I've read that yeah, It does say you lose you're allowance if you leave your job voluntarily, but that's more not being able to get it in the first place. Seems like I'm in a bit of a grey area, as I resigned from I company that I was employed by but not actually working for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.