Turn on thread page Beta

tampons or pads? watch

Okay, i know this is kinda uncomfortable (well, for me it is anyway!)... but yeah, i'm 17, and ever since the first time i had my period i've been using the pads, but i was thinking about which is easier/generally better to use: tampons or pads?...i've never 'inserted' anything or had sex before (god i hate how i phrased that, but don't really know how else to say it!) so i'm kinda scared to use a tampon...

ReputationRep:
    tampons are so much easier. i tried pads once then tried tampons and i never went back to pads ever.

ReputationRep:
    I've never liked pads, I hate the feeling of them, being worried about them leaking, the feeling you get when you have to stand up after being sat down for a while... Yeah, I won't go on, but I just hate them

I find tampons much nicer to use, a lot cleaner and less mess. They come in a range of different absorbency ranges depending on how heavy your periods are, so if you get the right ones and change them often enough, they shouldn't leak at all :nah: tampons and tiny pantyliners are the best combination, imo. They're just so convenient, apart from changing them when required you can almost forget you're on your period at all, which is a winner in my book.

Getting the hang of putting them in can be a bit tricky to start with, but trying on your heaviest day and/or using a bit of lube and the smallest ones you can find to start with is a good plan. If you do have trouble, stick with it and keep trying, they are totally worth it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I used to always use pads...ran out and had to borrow a tampon off my housemate and I've used tampons ever since. It's so much easier and feels so much cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    You will only know whats easier for you if you give tampons a go. You could try inserting a finger so you have an idea what it feels like to insert somthing. If you find inserting a finger quite easily a tampon shouldn't be a problem. Once a tampon is in you shouldn't be able to feel it if its in right.

You don't have anything to lose by trying.

ReputationRep:
    Pads for sure
    The idea of sticking a tampon up there weirds me out, what if i shove it in too hard and it gets lost or I cant get it out haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_missy01)
    Pads for sure
    The idea of sticking a tampon up there weirds me out, what if i shove it in too hard and it gets lost or I cant get it out haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It won't get lost, there's nowhere else for it to go because it won't get past your cervix.

I once wouldn't even consider using tampons but I tried it when I was 17 and LOVED them. Pads make you feel gross but tampons keep you feeling fresh and almost like you're not on your period because you can't feel anything going on down there and they make me have less cramps. But over the last 4 months I've started using the ultra thin pads (Always Ultra). I got thrush for the first time ever and if I used tampons that would have made it worse because stopping the blood flow creates a nice warm environment, perfect for bacterial or fungal growth which would make the thrush worse. Although tampons are great they are also bad for this reason and they are bleached which causes a health risk. So I'll use pads most of the time and tampons when I really have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, i know this is kinda uncomfortable (well, for me it is anyway!)... but yeah, i'm 17, and ever since the first time i had my period i've been using the pads, but i was thinking about which is easier/generally better to use: tampons or pads?...i've never 'inserted' anything or had sex before (god i hate how i phrased that, but don't really know how else to say it!) so i'm kinda scared to use a tampon...
    Don't worry hun, I'm the exact same, well was.
    I haven't had a period for 19 months because of the implant.
    But before then, I never used tampons, I much prefer pads. In some kinda weird way I like the feel of one there, it's like a diaper, it's so comfy. And as a virgin and never pleasured myself, I don't particularly want to fiddle around down there for the correct place for a tampon. Just shove a pad on your pants

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a virgin and I use tampons. When I first used them when I was 17, the very first time it was a little tricky to insert. It was easy but it just wouldn't go in because obviously my hymen wasn't broken yet but with reassurance from people on TSR, I just braced myself, pushed a little harder and it suddenly went in. I did feel when my hymen broke (though it's probably only partially broken) but it didn't hurt. The main thing to do is relax. That's another reason why it wouldn't go in. If you tense it just won't happen, so get yourself in a really relaxed state and have a go and see what happens. It'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I've used tampons since my second period when I was 12! Seriously ill never use a pad unless I've no way of getting a tampon, there so much cleaner and you can't feel them once there in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I once wouldn't even consider using tampons but I tried it when I was 17 and LOVED them. Pads make you feel gross but tampons keep you feeling fresh and almost like you're not on your period because you can't feel anything going on down there and they make me have less cramps. But over the last 4 months I've started using the ultra thin pads (Always Ultra). I got thrush for the first time ever and if I used tampons that would have made it worse because stopping the blood flow creates a nice warm environment, perfect for bacterial or fungal growth which would make the thrush worse. Although tampons are great they are also bad for this reason and they are bleached which causes a health risk. So I'll use pads most of the time and tampons when I really have to.
    You can get unbleached tampons. Or you could consider a menstrual cup which is better than both in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    It won't get lost, there's nowhere else for it to go because it won't get past your cervix.
    True
    But id feel like the bloods just pooling inside of me
    Or it might fall out
    Or it'd feel uncomfortable, like Im walking with ben wa balls hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by hannabelle_)
    Don't worry hun, I'm the exact same, well was.
    I haven't had a period for 19 months because of the implant.
    But before then, I never used tampons, I much prefer pads. In some kinda weird way I like the feel of one there, it's like a diaper, it's so comfy. And as a virgin and never pleasured myself, I don't particularly want to fiddle around down there for the correct place for a tampon. Just shove a pad on your pants

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see what you mean but you don't have to fiddle with anything. All you'd need is a mirror. It's very simple and doesn't feel strange at all (I'm a virgin too). But if you're happy with what you use, obviously stick with that

I think the main thing I like about tampons is it's not visible. I'm always concerned that pads might show whereas with tampons I can wear whatever I like and no-one would ever know.

ReputationRep:
    True
    Or it might fall out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry, I was just sayin', I wasn't trying to convert you

True
    Or it might fall out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When you have a pad you can feel small gushes of blood every now and again, on the other hand once you've inserted a tampon you can't feel it at all, it's like it's not there.

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    You can get unbleached tampons. Or you could consider a menstrual cup which is better than both in many ways.
    I have a menstrual cup but I can't ever use it until I'm sexually active coz it wouldn't fit and that's not going to happen for many years.

Where can you get unbleached tampons?

I have a menstrual cup but I can't ever use it until I'm sexually active coz it wouldn't fit and that's not going to happen for many years.

*I meant I'm not going to be sexually active for many years.

ReputationRep:

Theres no reason that one wouldn't fit. When you insert a cup you fold it to about the size of a tampon and it unfolds inside you. This shouldn't cause any pain as its only the entrance that can be tight before sex. Plus, the vagina is designed to stretch. Its what it does. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use a cup if you are virgin. They can be used from the first period onwards.

You can get unbleached tampons in most big boots, health shops or there are many websits you can order organic, nonbleached tampons from.

You can also get menstural sponges which are washable, reusable tampons made of sponge

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    You will only know whats easier for you if you give tampons a go. You could try inserting a finger so you have an idea what it feels like to insert somthing. If you find inserting a finger quite easily a tampon shouldn't be a problem. Once a tampon is in you shouldn't be able to feel it if its in right.

You don't have anything to lose by trying.
    this may sound ridiculously stupid, but as i've never insterted anything, will it bleed a lot or anything? because i'll freak out if i'm not mentally prepared :') thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2013
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.