Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone doing A level English Lit CCEA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclekevo)
    They're far less harsh in June than they are in January!
    So I've heard, I just hope the examiner is marking mine on one of their good days Are you getting yourself all set up for Friday's exam now?

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any tips on how to deal with the illusionistt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustDisturbia)
    anyone got any tips on how to deal with the illusionistt?

Depends on what you mean by tips :confused:

ReputationRep:
    For The Illusionist, first of all set out the scenario and explain what is going on in the passage, in terms of answering the questions, remember it's all about how you identify methods and keep relating it back to the question.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS for the first time. I've studied The Great Gatsby and Montague and Heaney poetry and just wonder does anyone have any tips for revision? I'm thinking of learning off essays in relation to possible themes for poetry particularly authority as my teachers think it may come up? and then just quotes for characters and themes for Gatsby? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishlit)
    I'm doing AS for the first time. I've studied The Great Gatsby and Montague and Heaney poetry and just wonder does anyone have any tips for revision? I'm thinking of learning off essays in relation to possible themes for poetry particularly authority as my teachers think it may come up? and then just quotes for characters and themes for Gatsby? Thanks
    Download the markschemes from previous years, they'll give you a good idea of what the examiners like to see (and what they don't care about). And I know different people are different, but learning off entire essays sounds really hard! I make lists of key terms and mini quotations and try to learn those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zergonipal)
    Download the markschemes from previous years, they'll give you a good idea of what the examiners like to see (and what they don't care about). And I know different people are different, but learning off entire essays sounds really hard! I make lists of key terms and mini quotations and try to learn those.
    Thank you so much! I know but I am quite a slow writer and learning the essays means I can just start writing, really its just to try and save some time!

ReputationRep:
    So what did everyone think of their friday paper?

I done Jane Eyre/Wide Sargasso Sea which was the "key texts of the feminist movement" question

and the Illusionist was 'the relationship between Stella and her family' question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMC879)
    So what did everyone think of their friday paper?

I done Jane Eyre/Wide Sargasso Sea which was the "key texts of the feminist movement" question

and the Illusionist was 'the relationship between Stella and her family' question.
    I had Huckleberry Finn/The Bluest Eye and it wanted to know about the books' relevance to adults and the nature of childhood. It did not go well :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    I did the JE/WSS and Illusionist questions, could have hugged the examiner when I saw the 'Feminist Novel' question as our teacher predicted that would come up and I knew it to a tee, the Illusionist extract wasn't brilliant but wasn't awful either

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.