Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think i might see a break up between me and my boyfriend on the horizon. I want to be with him, right, but we're in a long distance relationship and have been for pretty much the entire 5 month duration of our relationship. I'm at uni, you see. He lives back in my hometown, a 2.5 hour drive away.

I've been thinking about splitting up with him for a couple of weeks now, and feel really upset at the thought of losing him, but think that its going to happen sooner or later

My reasons...
    - During term time we only see each other maybe once a fortnight. Its devastating
    - I cry all the time cos he's not around
    - I spend my days wishing he was there
    - Its interfering with my course work cos i'm distracted and upset
    - I'm doing a marine biology degree which, hopefully, could take me around the world in the future. If I know i'm possibly gonna be moving even further away from him, should I continue the relationship?
    - I cant see us ever living near each other, no future

Basically, because of the distance i'm unable to fully enjoy the uni or the relationship, I hate a bit of both and love a bit of both. Never been so happy and heartbroken at the same time. For an 18 year old in their first ever relationship, long distance is horribly hard :/ He's an amazing guy, you couldn't meet a nicer person, but we're never gonna be in a happy relationship, in my opinion.

What should I do? Anyone been in the same predicament?

ReputationRep:
    Its one of those things that you just need to be selfish, its affecting your degree and your happiness, if you stay in the relationship and its affecting you that bad emotionally its just going to end up with you being really upset and not having any interest at all in either. I know itll be hard but you need to do whats best for you emotionally and academically.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with kerry, focus on yourself here. you need to be doing well at uni while also having a great time, best years of your life and all that jazz.
    maybe when you're next home for the holidays sit down with him and discuss how practical the relationship is when youre far apart

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.