Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For "should" we can use deber, for "could" we can use poder, but what about "would"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If we conjugate deber and poder with "I" we get "debo" and "puedo", or "I should and "I can". But is there a verb "would" meaning "to give advice" in Spanish, similar in meaning to, I guess, "recomendar"? E.g. "I would tie my left shoelaces first".

In other words, I want the Spanish verb "would" which is separate from an indication of the conditional tense, denoted by adding the suffix "-ría", "-rías" and so on. Just like we have should, could and would in English as verbs, we have deber and poder and a missing one. I'm a beginner in Spanish, so please forgive me if my use of the language doesn't immediately make sense

ReputationRep:
    'Debo' and 'puedo' mean 'I must' and 'I can/am able to' - to say 'I should' and 'I could' you'd use the conditional tense - 'debería' and 'podría'. To make a sentence using 'would' you need to put the verb into the conditional tense (infinitive of verb + ía, ías, ía, íamos, íais, ían). Your examples about 'to give advice'/'I would tie my shoelaces' confused me a bit... but you don't directly translate 'would', but use the conditional tense instead

I hope this helps/makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by special1ne)
    In other words, I want the Spanish verb "would" which is separate from an indication of the conditional tense, denoted by adding the suffix "-ría", "-rías" and so on. Just like we have should, could and would in English as verbs, we have deber and poder and a missing one. I'm a beginner in Spanish, so please forgive me if my use of the language doesn't immediately make sense
    Just to confirm what Amy said above, unfortunately there is no verb in English that can be used in place of 'would' (not the way 'deber' and 'poder' are). It just doesn't exist - sorry . You simply have to use the conditional tense if you want an accurate translation. No way around it!

You could use 'recomendar' or 'sugerir' (to suggest), like you say, but that won't translate into 'I would', simply into 'I recommend' or 'I suggest' (which can complicate matters even more because these verbs are often followed by the subjunctive tense).

Bottom line = you must simply learn to use the conditional tense. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.