Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kicked off college course for absences despite college being notified of health issue Watch

ReputationRep:
    Earlier this year I was kicked off my college course do to absence. My attendance rate was around 70% but my grades were very good and my work performance just as satisfactory. The college, along with all of my tutors had been notified that I was quite ill before starting the course with a currently undiagnosed condition, possibly M.E. It has recently been found that I may have some kind of growth or cyst on my brain. Surely the college shouldnt have been allowed to throw me off when I notified them of my illness? I am not the only one with medical issues who had been kicked off this particular course, a friend of mine with epilepsy had the same problem. The course leader was not very understanding of our medical issues and treated us very differently from the rest. The college now refuse to take me back for any further courses and it is really the only college in my area that provides the courses I am interested in and In a travelling distance. I feel like my future has been ruined because I am ill.

What do you think?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have they explained exactly why you have been kicked off the course?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, yes, my curriculum leader/course leader (the one who had been giving me a hard time all year) stated that due to my attendance I couldn't continue, despite the fact I had asked her multiple times if my attendance would effect me being able to continue onto the second year, she said no, as I am ill the college will support me into gaining my qualification - Lies.

ReputationRep:
    Does this not count as discrimination? If you've got a doctor's note and your grades are good. I think you should go above your course leader and go straight to the head of the college.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.