Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are unis looking for in a medical student? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im so passionate in studying medicine in uni but since its such a competitive course, I know i will face very tough competition!so i was wondering,what makes a perfect medical student?what qualities are they looking for?
    Advice and experience from current medical students would be very helpful!
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_rebel)
    Im so passionate in studying medicine in uni but since its such a competitive course, I know i will face very tough competition!so i was wondering,what makes a perfect medical student?what qualities are they looking for?
    Advice and experience from current medical students would be very helpful!
    I asked this question when I first joined TSR and got a hazing. It was pretty embarrassing. LOOK WHERE I AM NOW. HOLLA.

Anyway, I'm empathetic of what you're thinking. I was applying from a school who had never sent anyone to medicine (not as long as my guidance teacher worked there, at least!), so I didn't have the first clue about anything!

There's no hard and fast ruling about what medical schools are looking for, but there's a great guide over at the TSR wiki. The basic run-down is to just do well in your academic aspects - Grades, UKCAT and BMAT if it's applicable, and then get your voluntary work and work experience sorted, having good extra-curriculars is good, too. But honestly, there is no perfect template.

Some medical schools like different things. King's like to see high UKCAT and A*s at GCSE - they operate on a sort of ratio. High UKCAT can compensate for poor GCSEs, high GCSE grades can compensate for poor UKCAT.

Cambridge like to see good AS level UMS, UCL like to see a non-science at A level, everywhere likes a good personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...standardcourse

Best list I saw. (+ all the academic requirements)

ReputationRep:
    Get a high UKCAT and you're laughing your way all the way to 4 interviews. But seriously ever medical school looks for different things and so long as you work hard and apply wisely you'll get in. Make sure you have voluntary work, work experience, team work/ leadership examples. Good GCSEs/ UKCAT will help you a lot and give you more options.

ReputationRep:
    I was led to believe that they're after something along these lines: -

ReputationRep:
    Alot.

ReputationRep:
    Lol just get a good UKCAT and BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    Main piece of advice is that if you believe you are something then you have to do something to prove it, they won't just take your word for it. So, if your passionate about medicine get work experience. For qualities like empathy get yourself into a care home and talk to residents to work on your listening and communication skills. Leadership and teamwork can come from sports or D of E. Then of course you need good GCSEs, excellent A levels and a great UKCAT score or BMAT score depending on where you apply. Check each university for the qualities they look for (usually found somewhere on their website) and tailor your application to that university. Apply to universities that you have the best chance of getting into, you can tell this by looking at how they rank people (ie if they only award a small percentage to the UKCAT but you have a brilliant UKCAT then maybe look somewhere else).

ReputationRep:
    Different unis are looking for different things. For example I recently had interviews at Manchester and Glasgow. The interview styles were very different and the sort of questions they asked were also quite different. It was clear that they were each interested in whether I had separate skills/abilities and qualities, that weren't tested at the other interview.

If you want to find out what a specific uni wants in a med student, check their websites, look around on the student room etc. But I wouldn't say there is one ultimate checklist that every uni thinks a med student should fulfill (bar the most obvious of qualities like academic ability and communication skills).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.