Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I graduate this year and I need opinions on what I should do after graduation.

Background info: I live in a small town where I won't be able to get a suitable job, I also wouldn't be able to find a good job in the nearest city (I do a language degree). I also haven't learnt to drive yet so wouldn't be able to drive to a further city to work. I also REALLY want to travel for like 4 months.

Now my dilemma is ... what should I save for first?

If I save to move (to London for example) to find a good job I won't need to drive as there's the tube but it also means I'll learn to drive at a late age ... I also wouldn't have any money left over to travel as London living costs are expensive. Or if I moved to another city I wouldn't be able to travel as I'd be paying rent.

If I save to travel I won't be able to afford to move out until I come back and find a job and then earn enough money. Plus I'd have to save money to travel before I go so that means not being able to move out for like 2 years roughly and therefore not being able to find a great job.

If I save to drive It'll take me longer to save to do anything else (travel or move out) and then if I find a job in London etc anyway I wouldn't need the driving skills/a car.

I know I don't need to decide entirely right now but I was wondering if anyone has opinions/advice? Maybe some of you have been/are in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but it's all down to your personal choice. The only wisdom I can impart is the story of my dad compared to an ex gfs dad.

Basically, my mum and dad decided to travel young, forget about everything like career and have fun while they were young. My dad is now still working and a long way off retirement with not the most prestigious job.

My ex gfs dad worked hard at his career and skipped travelling when he was younger. It meant that he was less outgoing and couldn't travel mountains, remote places etc but he travelled loads when older because of a good job (due to working hard).

However, it doesn't always work out as black and white as this (some lucky people get both).

I say that you should stay at home for a bit, get a small job in order to save. Then you can go travelling with the money you saved and come back more "learned" in order to start your full time career.

Hope that helps even a tiny bit & good luck in whatever you choose!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Forget driving, you should live where you work and make sure there's a railway station nearby.

A job probably won't like you taking time out to travel so go for travelling first and moving second unless travelling is'nt all that much of a priority.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not what you want to hear but you may be better off looking for a job now with the money you have, securing a job and as the money comes in you can save it up again, for driving lessons and going abroad...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers! I think I'm going to get the travelling out of the way and then find a proper job

ReputationRep:
    I'd say entering the rat race pretty much writes off long term travelling indefinitely. People pretend it doesnt but it does. If you really want to travel, take the chance, it'll be more important to you than working guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to focus on your career, you can always take a year out at a later date when you have the money. Don't worry too much about the driving thing I know plenty of people in their thirties (a few in the city but some in villages too) who have no intention of ever learning and manage just fine. Since you have a language degree could you do both? TEFL or SI type thing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you have chosen to go travelling.

It's important to live your life and have fun.

If it wasn't for money, people would probably travel for the whole of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beb4)
    Okay so I graduate this year and I need opinions on what I should do after graduation.

Background info: I live in a small town where I won't be able to get a suitable job, I also wouldn't be able to find a good job in the nearest city (I do a language degree). I also haven't learnt to drive yet so wouldn't be able to drive to a further city to work. I also REALLY want to travel for like 4 months.

Now my dilemma is ... what should I save for first?

If I save to move (to London for example) to find a good job I won't need to drive as there's the tube but it also means I'll learn to drive at a late age ... I also wouldn't have any money left over to travel as London living costs are expensive. Or if I moved to another city I wouldn't be able to travel as I'd be paying rent.

If I save to travel I won't be able to afford to move out until I come back and find a job and then earn enough money. Plus I'd have to save money to travel before I go so that means not being able to move out for like 2 years roughly and therefore not being able to find a great job.

If I save to drive It'll take me longer to save to do anything else (travel or move out) and then if I find a job in London etc anyway I wouldn't need the driving skills/a car.

I know I don't need to decide entirely right now but I was wondering if anyone has opinions/advice? Maybe some of you have been/are in a similar situation?

I'd say learn to drive as early/cheaply as you can and travel later-when your finances are sorted

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.