Sheffield
    4.55%
    Barts and the London
    9.09%
    Newcastle
    4.55%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Nuances aside, the general theme of basic science in medicine is not anchored in critical thought. It is: 'Here is a series of facts / a mechanism*, now go and learn it to pass your exam.'

*that you will have probably forgotten less than a month after you sit the exam
    No, I really don't think you have this right. For a good pre-clin (2nd year) exam answer here you would need:
    -the facts and the mechanism (bare minimum pass or viva)
    -a few seminal experiments that were crucial in elucidating that mechanism
    -ideally the limitations of those experiments
    -some clinical relevance

The exam is usually 2-3h for 3 in-depth essays. You do actually have to try and fit all of the aforementioned points in. In second year we definitely had to use scopus to find relevant reviews/a few papers and at least in my college knowing the limitations of the current scientific work was strongly encouraged and this was then discussed in tutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    No, I really don't think you have this right. For a good pre-clin (2nd year) exam answer here you would need:
    -the facts and the mechanism (bare minimum pass or viva)
    -a few seminal experiments that were crucial in elucidating that mechanism
    -ideally the limitations of those experiments
    -some clinical relevance

The exam is usually 2-3h for 3 in-depth essays. You do actually have to try and fit all of the aforementioned points in. In second year we definitely had to use scopus to find relevant reviews/a few papers and at least in my college knowing the limitations of the current scientific work was strongly encouraged and this was then discussed in tutes.
    Fair enough, that is educating critical thought.

I'd wager that, outside Ox., Cam. and perhaps one or two others, even amongst the 'science-heavy' courses, that level is unusual though.

I am trying to talk about general themes rather than get fixated on individual schools. By-and-large, I don't think basic science in medical schools instills critical thought - evidently with some exceptions - and in some circumstances I think it can actually quench critical thought ('Just memorise what's on the slides, who cares if it's wrong / meaningless?', etc.).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.