Turn on thread page Beta

Will my driving examiner ask me to pull up on a hill? watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a mock test with my instructor today which I failed because I mounted the kerb uphill. I cannot for the life of me park uphill. I can manage parking on a flat surface though.

ReputationRep:
    My examiner randomly asked me to stop on the side of the road on a hill. I also did a left-reverse round the corner manoeuvre up a hill.

So there's every possibility you'll have to perform manoeuvres on a hill; maybe not! Practise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    My examiner randomly asked me to stop on the side of the road on a hill. I also did a left-reverse round the corner manoeuvre up a hill.

So there's every possibility you'll have to perform manoeuvres on a hill; maybe not! Practise!
    No way! That's really difficult. Whats the technique of parking next to a kerb?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you most likely will be asked to park on a hill so you can demonstrate a hill start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    you most likely will be asked to park on a hill so you can demonstrate a hill start.
    There's a hill at the traffic lights going onto the dual carriageway. My instructor said to just stop there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you park next to a curb on a flat road? For uphill, all it requires is extra-braking; and clutch control for restarting.

ReputationRep:
    Can you park next to a curb on a flat road? For uphill, all it requires is extra-braking; and clutch control for restarting.
    Not exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Not exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Practise it with your instructor . Words can only teach so much. Really nothing to be too worried about; it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

ReputationRep:
    Practise it with your instructor . Words can only teach so much. Really nothing to be too worried about; it's pretty easy to get the hang of.
    See he's telling me to book my test but god know's why if I can't do that. Honestly I can do everything else but that! So frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many people are asked to pull up on a hill to show a hill start its just the same as a normal curb just make sure before you take the handbrake off you set the clutch a little higher than usual and be ready to accelerate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah90)
    Many people are asked to pull up on a hill to show a hill start its just the same as a normal curb just make sure before you take the handbrake off you set the clutch a little higher than usual and be ready to accelerate!
    Luckily there's a hill at the traffic lights beside the test centre that we will no doubt be going to. I know how to do hill starts just parking makes me weary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You will encounter hills IRL too you know - don't just think about the exam! Practice them.
    I know. But I can drive on them no problem it's stopping next to the kerb on them which gets me unedgy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had to park on a steep gradient on my test so it may happen to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Luckily there's a hill at the traffic lights beside the test centre that we will no doubt be going to. I know how to do hill starts just parking makes me weary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just pretend you're on a flat and try not to worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    It's quite likely you'll be asked to pull up on a hill and pull off again... Less likely, but still possible, is that you'll be asked to perform a manoeuvre on a hill (it would be pretty mean if they asked you to parallel park on a hill, but there's nothing which prevents the examiner from asking that of you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjevans)
    I had to park on a steep gradient on my test so it may happen to you
    That's unfortunate. What's the process you had? Accelerate until you find a good parking place and then use the mirrors to align the car up then brake and put the handbrake on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's quite likely you'll be asked to pull up on a hill and pull off again... Less likely, but still possible, is that you'll be asked to perform a manoeuvre on a hill (it would be pretty mean if they asked you to parallel park on a hill, but there's nothing which prevents the examiner from asking that of you).
    None of my mates were asked to perform a hill start or even asked to stop at a hill. Hopefully I won't be asked either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah90)
    Just pretend you're on a flat and try not to worry too much!
    Haha! If only it was that easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My instructor has taught me to line my car parallel to the kerb and then a slight turn to the left and checking the left mirror will help be close to the kerb. However, I keep forgetting this or steer too much. How do you pull up next to a kerb? I'd like to see how other people have been taught. I need to know as I've been on 43 lessons and still don't get it perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Haha! If only it was that easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats all I do just trick yourself haha! Tbh it seems like you're worrying an awful lot when is your test?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.