Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my driving examiner ask me to pull up on a hill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a mock test with my instructor today which I failed because I mounted the kerb uphill. I cannot for the life of me park uphill. I can manage parking on a flat surface though.

ReputationRep:
    My examiner randomly asked me to stop on the side of the road on a hill. I also did a left-reverse round the corner manoeuvre up a hill.

So there's every possibility you'll have to perform manoeuvres on a hill; maybe not! Practise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    My examiner randomly asked me to stop on the side of the road on a hill. I also did a left-reverse round the corner manoeuvre up a hill.

So there's every possibility you'll have to perform manoeuvres on a hill; maybe not! Practise!
    No way! That's really difficult. Whats the technique of parking next to a kerb?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you most likely will be asked to park on a hill so you can demonstrate a hill start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    you most likely will be asked to park on a hill so you can demonstrate a hill start.
    There's a hill at the traffic lights going onto the dual carriageway. My instructor said to just stop there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you park next to a curb on a flat road? For uphill, all it requires is extra-braking; and clutch control for restarting.

ReputationRep:
    Can you park next to a curb on a flat road? For uphill, all it requires is extra-braking; and clutch control for restarting.
    Not exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Not exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Practise it with your instructor . Words can only teach so much. Really nothing to be too worried about; it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

ReputationRep:
    Practise it with your instructor . Words can only teach so much. Really nothing to be too worried about; it's pretty easy to get the hang of.
    See he's telling me to book my test but god know's why if I can't do that. Honestly I can do everything else but that! So frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many people are asked to pull up on a hill to show a hill start its just the same as a normal curb just make sure before you take the handbrake off you set the clutch a little higher than usual and be ready to accelerate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah90)
    Many people are asked to pull up on a hill to show a hill start its just the same as a normal curb just make sure before you take the handbrake off you set the clutch a little higher than usual and be ready to accelerate!
    Luckily there's a hill at the traffic lights beside the test centre that we will no doubt be going to. I know how to do hill starts just parking makes me weary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You will encounter hills IRL too you know - don't just think about the exam! Practice them.
    I know. But I can drive on them no problem it's stopping next to the kerb on them which gets me unedgy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had to park on a steep gradient on my test so it may happen to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Luckily there's a hill at the traffic lights beside the test centre that we will no doubt be going to. I know how to do hill starts just parking makes me weary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just pretend you're on a flat and try not to worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    It's quite likely you'll be asked to pull up on a hill and pull off again... Less likely, but still possible, is that you'll be asked to perform a manoeuvre on a hill (it would be pretty mean if they asked you to parallel park on a hill, but there's nothing which prevents the examiner from asking that of you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjevans)
    I had to park on a steep gradient on my test so it may happen to you
    That's unfortunate. What's the process you had? Accelerate until you find a good parking place and then use the mirrors to align the car up then brake and put the handbrake on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's quite likely you'll be asked to pull up on a hill and pull off again... Less likely, but still possible, is that you'll be asked to perform a manoeuvre on a hill (it would be pretty mean if they asked you to parallel park on a hill, but there's nothing which prevents the examiner from asking that of you).
    None of my mates were asked to perform a hill start or even asked to stop at a hill. Hopefully I won't be asked either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah90)
    Just pretend you're on a flat and try not to worry too much!
    Haha! If only it was that easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My instructor has taught me to line my car parallel to the kerb and then a slight turn to the left and checking the left mirror will help be close to the kerb. However, I keep forgetting this or steer too much. How do you pull up next to a kerb? I'd like to see how other people have been taught. I need to know as I've been on 43 lessons and still don't get it perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Haha! If only it was that easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats all I do just trick yourself haha! Tbh it seems like you're worrying an awful lot when is your test?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.