Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my driving examiner ask me to pull up on a hill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    That's unfortunate. What's the process you had? Accelerate until you find a good parking place and then use the mirrors to align the car up then brake and put the handbrake on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was in a hilly housing estate and the examiner said pull up on the side (so basically outside somebodies house) so i didnt look for a space really i just pulled up as soon as he asked then i did what you said pretty much. Worked for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah90)
    Thats all I do just trick yourself haha! Tbh it seems like you're worrying an awful lot when is your test?
    Bad luck to tell people my test. Let's just say it's very soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjevans)
    It was in a hilly housing estate and the examiner said pull up on the side (so basically outside somebodies house) so i didnt look for a space really i just pulled up as soon as he asked then i did what you said pretty much. Worked for me
    What kept your nerves out during the test? I seem to get really nervous during mock tests and then I screw up on a silly thing like speed, positioning, etc. but the last test I somehow kept calm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    None of my mates were asked to perform a hill start or even asked to stop at a hill. Hopefully I won't be asked either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully not... But it's worth practising anyway. Firstly because if you are asked, you could probably fail pretty quickly. And secondly because you're not going to go through your life without ever having to do a hill start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    What kept your nerves out during the test? I seem to get really nervous during mock tests and then I screw up on a silly thing like speed, positioning, etc. but the last test I somehow kept calm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True story, as i pulled up at the test centre for my test in my instructors car, i opened the door and the wind threw it open really fast and it made a horrendous noise and then the door wouldn't shut so for 5 mins my instructor and the examiner were trying to get the door to shut. It did eventually shut. Before I was confident but this made me so nervous as I thought I had broke the car and so I wouldnt be able to do the test.

Anyway, after that horrific ordeal... my examiner was really nice and we talked the whole way through which kept me at ease which helped a lot. Also I told no-one about my driving test so there was no expectation for me to pass. My instructor gave me lots of positive feedback which helped my confidence. I wouldnt let any little mistakes get to you because you can make small mistakes in your test and still pass.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Hopefully not... But it's worth practising anyway. Firstly because if you are asked, you could probably fail pretty quickly. And secondly because you're not going to go through your life without ever having to do a hill start.
    That's very true. Thanks for the tips. I'll ask todo it in my next lesson. Alongside parking next to a kerb. The only reason I think they're difficult to do is because we NEVER practise them. We practise all the maneuvers, dual carriageway speeds, stopping at traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts, give way and stop signs but rarely pulling up next to a kerb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjevans)
    True story, as i pulled up at the test centre for my test in my instructors car, i opened the door and the wind threw it open really fast and it made a horrendous noise and then the door wouldn't shut so for 5 mins my instructor and the examiner were trying to get the door to shut. It did eventually shut. Before I was confident but this made me so nervous as I thought I had broke the car and so I wouldnt be able to do the test.

Anyway, after that horrific ordeal... my examiner was really nice and we talked the whole way through which kept me at ease which helped a lot. Also I told no-one about my driving test so there was no expectation for me to pass. My instructor gave me lots of positive feedback which helped my confidence. I wouldnt let any little mistakes get to you because you can make small mistakes in your test and still pass.

Good luck
    Absolute beautiful analysis of your test! Yeah I've told no-one I know about it. The pressure would be piled on me. I would talk to my examiner but I don't know if I could multi-task, LOL. I'll give it 100% I had a mock test 2 weeks ago and passed it with one minor(undue hesitation at a roundabout).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your driving instructor took you there on a mock test, it is likely that you were on a test route, so there is the possibility that you will have to go there on your test. (presuming you did the mock test in the area you have booked for)

But I would personally be surprised if you had to do a on a hill, unfortunately I have done a few tests and they have generally picked pretty easy places for your maneuver. You might have to pull over and then demonstrate a hill start though, just take your time and make sure you find the bite point before you take off the handbrake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    That's very true. Thanks for the tips. I'll ask todo it in my next lesson. Alongside parking next to a kerb. The only reason I think they're difficult to do is because we NEVER practise them. We practise all the maneuvers, dual carriageway speeds, stopping at traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts, give way and stop signs but rarely pulling up next to a kerb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's literally just a case of getting the biting point spot on. On a flat surface, you can get away with taking the handbrake off and then mucking about trying to find it. On a hill, you just have to find it before you take the handbrake off. But once you've done it once, you'll always be able to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    If your driving instructor took you there on a mock test, it is likely that you were on a test route, so there is the possibility that you will have to go there on your test. (presuming you did the mock test in the area you have booked for)

But I would personally be surprised if you had to do a on a hill, unfortunately I have done a few tests and they have generally picked pretty easy places for your maneuver. You might have to pull over and then demonstrate a hill start though, just take your time and make sure you find the bite point before you take off the handbrake.
    Oh every place we've been to is the test route so I'm really aware of it . I really hope nerves combined with fear of not knowing what to do arise. I know what to do, practise makes perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was asked to do a hill start, i though everyone did one?
    We did around 4/5 'pulling ups' One was a hill

My turn in the road was also done on a slight hill, and a speed bump (definitely don't like doing maneuvers over speed bumps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)

My turn in the road was also done on a slight hill, and a speed bump (definitely don't like doing maneuvers over speed bumps)
    I thought the same , it was definitely part of the test.

I had to do a tough reverse around the corner up a hill so had to apply quite a bit of petrol for it during my test :rolleyes:.

Op your driving progress seems really good so I think you're just overthinking it. Just check mirror, indicate left and steer level and straighten up if necessary. Use mirrors to help you align yourself with the curb. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)

See there's so many hills my test centre is located near it is envitable that we'll get the closest one to me which is just the traffic lights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildeAboutOscar)
    I thought the same , it was definitely part of the test.

I had to do a tough reverse around the corner up a hill so had to apply quite a bit of petrol for it during my test :rolleyes:.

Op your driving progress seems really good so I think you're just overthinking it. Just check mirror, indicate left and steer level and straighten up if necessary. Use mirrors to help you align yourself with the curb. You'll be fine!
    I think I am overthinking it but I mean I'm on my 44th lesson, I should know these things. But he's only teaching me now and it's really hard in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I had to pull up on a hill and then do my turn in the road on it - it wasn't a small one either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    I think I am overthinking it but I mean I'm on my 44th lesson, I should know these things. But he's only teaching me now and it's really hard in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One piece of advice I would like to give:

After parking by the kerb, the instructor might ask you to pull away again (if they don't ask you to do reverse turn, three point turn etc.). Make sure you check all your mirrors before moving away as it's a major if you do not do this and there is a car coming up behind you. My brother failed because of this despite only picking up 3 minor faults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    I had a mock test with my instructor today which I failed because I mounted the kerb uphill. I cannot for the life of me park uphill. I can manage parking on a flat surface though.
    Bloody hell. I've "parked" on a hill, but only when there's been very few cars about ie: you can park properly

I live on a hill, and I dread parking on it, when there is only one car length between one car, and another car, to park my car (I need like three car lengths to park properly on my hill, and always down hill) I've even got my dad to park it sometimes

If they do ask you to park, I'd hope they'd give you sufficient room to allow you to park. I mean I know soo many people who have difficulty parking on my hill - even experienced drivers. You just have to be experienced on our hills

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's quite likely you'll be asked to pull up on a hill and pull off again... Less likely, but still possible, is that you'll be asked to perform a manoeuvre on a hill (it would be pretty mean if they asked you to parallel park on a hill, but there's nothing which prevents the examiner from asking that of you).
    This is probably it. It can be absolute hell trying to do a parallel park on a hill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    I had to pull up on a hill and then do my turn in the road on it - it wasn't a small one either!
    Examiner's are right *******s aren't they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Bloody hell. I've "parked" on a hill, but only when there's been very few cars about ie: you can park properly

I live on a hill, and I dread parking on it, when there is only one car length between one car, and another car, to park my car (I need like three car lengths to park properly on my hill, and always down hill) I've even got my dad to park it sometimes

If they do ask you to park, I'd hope they'd give you sufficient room to allow you to park. I mean I know soo many people who have difficulty parking on my hill - even experienced drivers. You just have to be experienced on our hills

This is probably it. It can be absolute hell trying to do a parallel park on a hill
    No way. I'd hate ****ing living up a hill. Least you've passed the test I'm sitting here worried as **** lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    One piece of advice I would like to give:

After parking by the kerb, the instructor might ask you to pull away again (if they don't ask you to do reverse turn, three point turn etc.). Make sure you check all your mirrors before moving away as it's a major if you do not do this and there is a car coming up behind you. My brother failed because of this despite only picking up 3 minor faults.
    That seems really harsh! That's definitely what I've got to do then. Luckily, I do this as it's instinct for me now to do this

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.