Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my driving examiner ask me to pull up on a hill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Luckily there's a hill at the traffic lights beside the test centre that we will no doubt be going to. I know how to do hill starts just parking makes me weary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't forget you don't have to be THAT close to the curb, I think you're allowed something like 18 inches? or maybe it's 12... But anyway you don't have to be right in close. As soon as the gap between the curb and the car disappears from your side mirror start to straighten up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    That seems really harsh! That's definitely what I've got to do then. Luckily, I do this as it's instinct for me now to do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, just make sure that the instructor can see you are checking your mirrors and blind spot. I think my brother got done for the blind spot bit and the fact that the car was going to go past him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    No way. I'd hate ****ing living up a hill. Least you've passed the test I'm sitting here worried as **** lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol perhaps. Dw man. I can't see them asking you to do any thing, except to pull up and drive off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaceMindu)
    Don't forget you don't have to be THAT close to the curb, I think you're allowed something like 18 inches? or maybe it's 12... But anyway you don't have to be right in close. As soon as the gap between the curb and the car disappears from your side mirror start to straighten up.
    Yeah! Just slight turn towards the kerb then straighten up ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Yes, just make sure that the instructor can see you are checking your mirrors and blind spot. I think my brother got done for the blind spot bit and the fact that the car was going to go past him.
    Flip! That's mad. Yeah going to double check everything before pulling away!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Lol perhaps. Dw man. I can't see them asking you to do any thing, except to pull up and drive off
    Thanks mate. Hill starts are easy anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure every test includes a hill start. It's what I failed my test on first time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    I'm pretty sure every test includes a hill start. It's what I failed my test on first time!
    Really? What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Yeah! Just slight turn towards the kerb then straighten up ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but do it slowly and carefully. They are unlikely to fail you for being too slow about it. The only way you'll fail is if you lose control of your car and/or are dangerous about it (i.e. not checking mirrors, not signalling when required).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Yes, but do it slowly and carefully. They are unlikely to fail you for being too slow about it. The only way you'll fail is if you lose control of your car and/or are dangerous about it (i.e. not checking mirrors, not signalling when required).
    Will I be failed if I'm too close or too far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Will I be failed if I'm too close or too far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope this helps:

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/curb-parking.html

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate really helped. Going to use the middle of my windscreen as a reference point. If the kerb is touchjng it I'm fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Thanks mate really helped. Going to use the middle of my windscreen as a reference point. If the kerb is touchjng it I'm fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well... if the kerb is touching the middle of your windscreen then you're doing something wrong...
    If you mean they line up then yeah, I think you're fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Really? What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was doing my test in rush hour. I'd actually successfully already done an organised hill start earlier in the test, where he'd got me to park up on a hill, then move off. Then I was going up a very steep hill with a T-junction at the top. There was a queue there, I stopped in the queue, then rolled back when I had to move, which is an instant fail!
    No bother, I passed two weeks later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    I was doing my test in rush hour. I'd actually successfully already done an organised hill start earlier in the test, where he'd got me to park up on a hill, then move off. Then I was going up a very steep hill with a T-junction at the top. There was a queue there, I stopped in the queue, then rolled back when I had to move, which is an instant fail!
    No bother, I passed two weeks later
    No way! Aye you passed your test two weeks after lol. I'm ****ing bricks about mine LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup, he asked me to do it at least twice. The second time I had to do a turn in the road on the hill. Passed first time though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Discombobulate)
    Yup, he asked me to do it at least twice. The second time I had to do a turn in the road on the hill. Passed first time though
    Brilliant! Is there any shame in passing second time? I have a feeling that'll be me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    Thanks mate. Hill starts are easy anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just remembered, that when Im parking on a hill, I tend to make use of my left mirror and move it so that I can see the pavement. It really helps to get your car straight, and if you don't, you know what kind of (ridiculously sharp) angle you need to move in, to get in a straight line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Just remembered, that when Im parking on a hill, I tend to make use of my left mirror and move it so that I can see the pavement. It really helps to get your car straight, and if you don't, you know what kind of (ridiculously sharp) angle you need to move in, to get in a straight line
    That's a good tip actually thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCGTi)
    My instructor has taught me to line my car parallel to the kerb and then a slight turn to the left and checking the left mirror will help be close to the kerb. However, I keep forgetting this or steer too much. How do you pull up next to a kerb? I'd like to see how other people have been taught. I need to know as I've been on 43 lessons and still don't get it perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no real method however, I just use a certain point when my wing mirrors cuts into the pavement as a guideline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.