Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Pretty much what the title says. I was delving a little deeper into atherosclerosis for my AS Biology exam, and a video on YouTube said that the oxidation of cholesterol causes it to become toxic and triggers the inflammatory response.

Can't find anything on the internet about it, and I'm certain I don't need it for my exam. But can anyone help me out?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    Yeah. Pretty much what the title says. I was delving a little deeper into atherosclerosis for my AS Biology exam, and a video on YouTube said that the oxidation of cholesterol causes it to become toxic and triggers the inflammatory response.

Can't find anything on the internet about it, and I'm certain I don't need it for my exam. But can anyone help me out?
    There are two types of lipoprotein - low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL). LDL belongs to the "bad cholesterol" group and transports lipids around the body. When there is an excess of lipids in the diet they accumulate in the sub-endothelial layer of arteries (just below the surface). This happens naturally in everyone. In a high-fat diet this process is exaggerated and the lipids are oxidised to LDL by enzymes. This 'activates' the endothelial wall of the artery and expresses molecules to attract immune cells in the blood causing cells such as macrophages to reside in the vessel wall. The macrophages increase and elongate the inflammatory response. These are a main factor in the inflammatory response here.

I hope that was slightly okay to understand?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's great. Thanks! I'll rep you tomorrow, I've ran out today -.-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.