Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a PCGE less likely to get you a teaching job than a full primary teaching degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm looking into doing a PCGE in primary teaching but I'm wondering if employers have a preference to who they employ in terms of how they get their teaching qualification. I feel like maybe they'd prefer someone with a full teaching degree rather than just a PCGE as it's a longer course? Any help would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it would be the other way around, as I have looked at the work of a few people doing full teaching degrees and it is very easy in comparison to other degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I can 100% say that for teaching in Primary it is preferential to have a full teaching qualification, infact I have heard sooooo many teachers bad mouthing PGCE students and their overpaid "shortcut" route into teaching. Think about it, would you rather employ someone who always knew they wanted to be a teacher, applied and studied 4 years to teach, with loads of experience along the way, or someone who last minute decided they would like to try it out.

However secondary teaching is different as I would say you should have a degree in your teaching subject at least to teach it.

Be careful what you choose as half of all teachers who qualified in 2012 are still without a perminant teaching position, there are far too many teachers being trained and not enough jobs. This is evident by a little light reading on the TES forum in the unemployed teacher sections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Think about it, would you rather employ someone who always knew they wanted to be a teacher, applied and studied 4 years to teach, with loads of experience along the way, or someone who last minute decided they would like to try it out
    While you may be correct in saying some schools prefer a teacher who has studied for four years, is it really fair to say that someone who has the degree always wanted to be a teacher etc? I have friends who went in to it straight from school and regret it now because they hate it. This friend went into teaching because it was the easy option as her family are full of teachers.

So perhaps there is the argument that somebody applying for a PGCE has not just applied 'at the last minute' but because they have life experience, studied other subjects and made an informed decision that they would like to be a primary teacher? While it is true that the four years will give a teacher more experience, not all students would be lucky to gain a place on the degree course and perhaps have to go a round about way into teaching.

I would imagine that it depends on the individual candidate and their ability to show their dedication to teaching, and I would further think that having another degree and different experience would enhance their ability to teach. Really, I think it is down to the individual. Go for what route suits you best and don't worry what some teachers think because there are plenty of others who think differently about PGCEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    I can 100% say that for teaching in Primary it is preferential to have a full teaching qualification, infact I have heard sooooo many teachers bad mouthing PGCE students and their overpaid "shortcut" route into teaching. Think about it, would you rather employ someone who always knew they wanted to be a teacher, applied and studied 4 years to teach, with loads of experience along the way, or someone who last minute decided they would like to try it out.
    just because someone does a PGCE doesn't mean they want to be a teacher any les than someone who did a teaching degree, they might not of know they wanted to teach when they chose there degree because not many poeple do know what they want to do at 18 or they might of wanted to do a different degree for personal reasons. I want to do a PGCE primary but i am currently applying for a degree in education studies and biology because this is the route i want to take.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.