Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not feeling confident after passing driving test Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been learning to drive since April and I'm nearly at the stage where I'll be ready to book my test. When I started to learn I had jack-all confidence and it has taken me a while to get comfortable in the car. I've bought my own car now to practice in as I really wanted to get some private practice with my OH in the car. When I first got in it I was absolutely terrified as the clutch/bite was all different. It's also a 1.6 Petrol so it's really nippy compared to my instructors car. I did spend quite a few days stalling and it just felt I was back to square one again; it really started to dent my confidence. It was quite good that I could talk to my instructor about the issues I was having. I think if I was to wait and get my car once I do pass I'd lose all confidence as I guess mentally you think, well I've passed my test so why can't I drive this frigging car. Whereas now when I pass (hopefully) I'll be able to drive my own car without all the inital ****-ups with getting used to it. I guess that's my only bit of advice to anyone out there if it is practically and financially possible.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I bought a car whilst learning and it helped because when I passed it was already comfortable in my car, and confident I knew the bite. However, like all new drivers I still made mistakes and occasionally stalled under pressure. But you learn so much in the first few weeks, and it becomes second nature in no time. So even if you don't already have a car, it won't be long before you feel completely comfortable with your new car anyway!

ReputationRep:
    A tip, slow down, if your slowing down causes other drivers to overtake, theyll be the ones crashing, not you.

hesitancy doesnt should not be a minor, only major hesitancy should

i did all my turns at less than 5mph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    Well what the title says really....

I passed on the 21st December (first time 6 minors)
    And very luckily got a car for Christmas, which i love and im not being ungrateful

I just don't feel confident in driving, and soon I'll be driving from Bradford to Huddersfield every week day so i kinda need to sort myself out. I have been out a few times, for the first time just round the block, then when i got stuck on a slight hill junction (thank god nobody was behind me) stalling 10 times i decided to text my instructor, and so on monday i went out for a drive in my car with him and i did originally feel much better. I did stall quite a few times in my first 10 minutes but after that i was okay. Think this is due to learning in a diesel car and now having a petrol, i preferred it a lot more when i didn't need to set the gas when moving off at junctions and whatnot

I think I'm so nervous and not confident for these factors
    With the setting the gas not being something i used to do in the car i learnt in, now i worry when i get to a junction i may stall and possibly be in a dangerous position to others.

Im scared of hills because in case i roll back, i rolled back a tad (just a tad) before going on a slight hill and some traffic lights, i have got P plates on for the time being hoping that people would give me a bit of extra space but at the time the guy behind me was right behind me, quite astonished i didn't hit him (although i know it would of been my fault for rolling back) But this is why it scares me

I also feel much more under pressure when I'm on main roads (and not just going round the block in my area) Because although i have P plates it just seems everyones annoyed with me just being there :/ Its actually making me quite upset, and kinda regretting ever passing

I think hills and stalling and my main issues which make me nervous,

They also make practicing hard. Because when i think about going out for a drive i consider where i would go, then realize i would probably get lost (i have a sat nav but don't want to be too concentrated on that instead of the roads) Plus to get off my street there is 2 roundabouts then its down into town and lots of slights hills so it scares me before i even get on the road.

-----

Anyone else felt like this after passing? or is it just me? How long does it last?
    Any tips? Apart from just saying 'go practice' any tips on what to practice, how etc?

How are you getting on now with your driving ?

I passed a couple of months ago with 7 minors, completed and recieved a Pass Plus qualification and have bought myself a car, I went out in it the other day for the first time alone and was such a shocking experience, yes I had a test drive. But driving around an empty car park didn't really cut it. I stalled several times at quite a busy junction, turns out my car does require more acceleration than the car I drove whilst learning (Ford Fiesta). It was not the best move.
    Over the last week I've had my mum sit in the car with me and it's been so relieving, going from nearby quiet places to more built up areas (The roundabouts and hill starts creep me out the most!) And today I forced myself to be able to go out around the same routes to make me feel more confident. I didn't stall at all as I had got to know my bite point more, but I was still weary of oncoming things
    I really like that some of you have said that you went out and did it everyday or more or less everyday just for the confidence, this would be really ideal for myself. I am also driving now to get to know the area where my new job will be, which is very central in the area which means I must be prepared for all scenarios.
    Tomorrow I hope to be driving to my work by myself, which is only 5-10 minutes but means being prepared for traffic lights on a steep hill, so I hope by then I am able to go out feeling confident about it. I appreciate all the comments on this

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same!!! Everything you mentioned is what I'm experiencing too.. I passed first time and was shocked! I was expecting to fail, the car I learnt in was also a diesel and the car I bought is a petrol it's a 1.6 but even then I have to put gas on. I've stalled so many times and this is why I don't feel confident in driving too . I stalled about 7 times at a roundabout and I just couldn't get going and the other road users kept getting impatient and beeping. And this is what made me more anxious! I don't look forward to driving , but I hate feeling like this coz I really want to drive but feel confident and happy at the same time. I got P plates on as I feel sometimes some road users give me a bit of space and then u get some idiots who just don't care and try to overtake and what not.

I passed on the 30th December .. Just been a week. I took my a friend with me first few times (she can't drive) and I didn't expect to stall so many times, and there was no one there to help me to give me advise on what I am doing wrong. So it made me panic. So the next time I went out I made sure I took someone who can drive just in case. And automatically I felt a tiny bit more confident..

I've been driving everyday here and there since I've passed with someone that can drive so they can just give me that bit of reassurance. And I'm slowly getting there. But not completely there. I have been avoiding busy times during the day as I still get nervous. But I just can't wait till I get to the day where I am confident and happy to
    Drive on my own during any time of the day.

You will get there too! And your not the only one there's a lot of people out there who feel the same as u r feeling. I've been avoiding hills as I don't feel 100% ready yet. But I hope you can do it and myself and everyone who is feeling the same.

Practice makes perfect

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    By now I'm sure you're the most confident driver there is! I passed nearly two years ago but haven't really started driving regularly until last week for work... I found it really tricky to make myself drive for no reason as I found it really scary. I've just gotten a new job which will involve driving around the south a couple of days a week, because I knew I'd never do it if I didn't have to. I've made some silly mistakes this week, stalling on a roundabout, somehow accidentally turning my lights off on a dark road (argh!) annoying other drivers by doing 40 in a 60 purely because there are such tight corners it just isn't safe to do 60! But it's gradually getting easier. Just wanted to say how happy I am to have found this thread as it is great to know I'm not the only one; everyone else I know says they couldn't wait to get in the car once they passed! To the worried mum; try to act as if you trust his driving, I imagine your worrying Could make him feel loads more nervous. My other half is so patient and acts confident in my driving (even when there are times he probably isn't) and it makes me feel so much better!

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. 9th June I passed and was my third attempt because of my nerves getting to me and after only having my license for a day I already felt like I did so much wrong, like you all I already had a car waiting for me but as an early 18th birthday present. But after going out first with my uncle (who sold us the car) and then with my sister to take my uncle home I started getting used to driving with a full license! But after going out on my own for a drive I started to feel a bit more confident but after a error with stalling twice. One at a roundabout and the other at the exit to a car park after a women honked me, everyone says it will get better with time and you are still getting use to the car. Since this post was added last year I would love to know how things have been going with your driving and how long it took for you to overcome your fear.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use the P plates people get annoyed with learners so when your on your own it'll make you panic more make sure the car is at biting point then hit the accelerator use the handbrake if needed at least then you can use clutch and accelerator at same time if you stall don't worry if you holding traffic up they'll have to wait after all what can they do drive in to you? that wouldn't be a good idea for them or they'll have to go around, my first time today driving work i was very nervous i learned in a diesel now have a petrol you'll get it just persevere everyone has to learn =]

ReputationRep:
    You passed the test in manual = you can drive an automatic. No problems with hills/stalling then.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite nervous when I first got my car too, I learnt to drive in a diesel and my car's a petrol so obviously the biting point was different to what I was used to.

In regard to hill starts, it's important to gas it a lot immediately when you get to the biting point, especially if your car has a small engine (which it presumably does as your first car). It's fine if it rolls a tiny bit so no need to panic but make sure you have got the gas going.

You just need to gain confidence and this will come over time and as you experience being on the road more. It does get better but it won't happen overnight. I think the most important thing is to go at your own pace and ignore other drivers trying to rush you. People can be so impatient and try to bully you on the road - don't let them! It's better for you to go at your own pace rather than let others get you flustered and making mistakes. If others want to drive like idiots, then let them it's their fault if something happens not yours so you carry on the way you were taught. You wouldn't have passed if you were rubbish.

I didn't have P plates on because I think it does more harm than good because rather than people being more understanding they approach it with the mentality of "it's only a learner" and get impatient or bully you. Obviously not everyone is like this but some are.

I still get a bit nervous parking and I've had my car since December but it's not as bad as before now that I've gotten used to it and been through different situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds like you're scared to drive alone, so maybe start off with only driving with someone in the passenger seat, someone who can also drive, it might help knowing that they are there if you are worried or unsure of anything.

Gradually build your confidence and then try driving on your own, just short journeys to start and build it up as and when you feel able.

Maybe you could also go out at night time when the roads are quiet to practice your hill starts. I used to panic during my lessons about hill starts so my instructor told me to never look at who is behind, just concentrate on what's ahead, which really helped. As soon as I saw someone behind me I would start to worry and then just mess up but if you focus on whats ahead and get on with it & it's not that bad.

I'd probably recommend ditching the P plates too, from what it seems they do more harm than good, other drivers just see them and immediately become impatient with you!

You have passed your driving test so you're obviously a capable driver, you just need some confidence but that will only come with experience on the road

ReputationRep:
    Hi I passed my test in March and have only now started gaining confidence. Though I did not have any help from either a family member or instructor I feel practise makes perfect. However, I still find it hard to concentrate on a sat nav and find it daunting going on roads that I have not driven before. Does anyone feel like this after a few months practise on known roads and finding it still hard to drive on unknown roads where u did not have instruction. Any suggestions how to boost confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I found this thread! It's actually really reassuring to find people who feel the same as me, I feel like a tiny duck learning to swim and every other driver seems so confident on the road

I passed over 2 years ago and didn't need to drive really when I passed, now I'm in a different town and I'll need I drive to uni. I've been taking my new car (got 3 weeks ago) little ka out at night because I feel safer when I know there aren't many other cars on the road.

But I just still can't seem to get the confidence.. I keep putting off going for a drive and when I do it's only like 15 mins away then I get so worried i come home, I passed second time and was quite confident in the car I learnt in but now, I think it's because it's been so long really and a new car in a new town.

I'm getting so frustrated, where I live now it would be amazing to drive because nothing is really close, I know I just need to practice more and more but it's just takes so much nervous energy to even get to the car door - I feel so drained from worrying about it

I really hope I can get there, and same to everyone in the same boat. With most things in life I'm not afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.. But I just keep freaking myself out that it's not ok to make mistakes because I could hurt someone else or myself and that it's dangerous to be nervous, because you make silly mistakes

Can't wait to be not nervous about this anymore now.. I feel like such an idiot
    But I won't give up, I'll just keep trying when there's no other drivers on the road till I can do it!

ReputationRep:
    As a driver who passed his test in April, I have only just recently got a car - Thursday morning, first drive I had with my old man I were a bag of nerves, this showed when he told me to go faster when approaching a turn in and brake a little later than I would when driving with my instructor or examiner. Second drive I had were to take ma and pa to a supermarket in a village 20 minutes from where we live, drive there was much better, still made a couple of mistakes and got lost a couple of times - that's the point right?.

The way back was much better with my dad stating he couldn't have driven any better which helped, had another hours drive just going out and about round town. Today I was asked to ferry my dad and uncle somewhere, had 2 minor criticism's but overall I think that was their impatience showing through. Then finally decided to tackle the dreaded Motorway (I had a lesson back in June so had at least some experience) Had to stop on the slip road due to a broken down car and not able to merge - not going to lie that scared me... Managed to join and get off at the next junction, then re join and get off at the original junction. Dad's suggested I go do a 40 mile trip tomorrow morning with at least 2 junctions on a motorway, before he ambitiously told me to drive to my Grandparents who live 40+ miles away and requires motorway driving. On Thursday I would have told him no chance, now I feel more confident and feel like I can actually make it without panicking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    Well what the title says really....

I passed on the 21st December (first time 6 minors)
    And very luckily got a car for Christmas, which i love and im not being ungrateful

I just don't feel confident in driving, and soon I'll be driving from Bradford to Huddersfield every week day so i kinda need to sort myself out. I have been out a few times, for the first time just round the block, then when i got stuck on a slight hill junction (thank god nobody was behind me) stalling 10 times i decided to text my instructor, and so on monday i went out for a drive in my car with him and i did originally feel much better. I did stall quite a few times in my first 10 minutes but after that i was okay. Think this is due to learning in a diesel car and now having a petrol, i preferred it a lot more when i didn't need to set the gas when moving off at junctions and whatnot

I think I'm so nervous and not confident for these factors
    With the setting the gas not being something i used to do in the car i learnt in, now i worry when i get to a junction i may stall and possibly be in a dangerous position to others.

Im scared of hills because in case i roll back, i rolled back a tad (just a tad) before going on a slight hill and some traffic lights, i have got P plates on for the time being hoping that people would give me a bit of extra space but at the time the guy behind me was right behind me, quite astonished i didn't hit him (although i know it would of been my fault for rolling back) But this is why it scares me

I also feel much more under pressure when I'm on main roads (and not just going round the block in my area) Because although i have P plates it just seems everyones annoyed with me just being there :/ Its actually making me quite upset, and kinda regretting ever passing

I think hills and stalling and my main issues which make me nervous,

They also make practicing hard. Because when i think about going out for a drive i consider where i would go, then realize i would probably get lost (i have a sat nav but don't want to be too concentrated on that instead of the roads) Plus to get off my street there is 2 roundabouts then its down into town and lots of slights hills so it scares me before i even get on the road.

-----

Anyone else felt like this after passing? or is it just me? How long does it last?
    Any tips? Apart from just saying 'go practice' any tips on what to practice, how etc?
    Possibly not what you want to hear but an automatic might help you get a bit more confident then go back to a manual if you want sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confirmed)
    I passed my driving test on 19th december and this was my second attempt. If I had passed first time around I would have had the same problem you're experiencing- my issue was roundabouts. I was so afraid of them that the thought of one coming up would make me wish I never started learning to drive. But after more lessons my confidence rose and I now feel perfectly fine with them.

I have driven everyday since passing my test as luckily i already had a car waiting outside (a years worth of saving for it, mind!)
    At first I felt just like you did, as if I shouldnt have passed and that I would no doubt cause an accident.

BUT TRUST ME it gets better very quicky. Its because its just YOU and you are responsible for your own safety and your own car and other people and at first its daunting to think you have been given the freedom and quite literally the licence to go out when you please and drive a big lump of metal on the roads.

However, the DSA are strict and you would not have passed if you were neither capable of driving safely or responsibly- you know what to do- its just a case of getting the experience to DO that with more ease and with confidence.

Its only been a few weeks for me but I already dont think about most things when driving and just have it ingrained into me, and thats a matter of weeks!

One final word of advice- dont be tempted into bad habits because of the other idiots on the road. Take your time but dont be too hesitant, and do what you were taught. It is very easy to be pressurised by other drivers to take chances and cut corners so that you arent faced with BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. The amount of horns and flashing lights I get when I go at 36mph down a 30mph road is ridiculous!!!! (they all go at 50/40 down that road)

GOOD LUCK!!! XXxXX
    You shouldn't be breaking the speed limit

ReputationRep:
    It's okay to feel that way, one of the main reason is because you always have someone with you don't feel scared I passed my test after 4 attempts and guess what today I try moving off at a junction with the hand break still on so it happens to us all just continue driving the more you drive the more confident you will be , remember we didn't born walking or talking but we learn over a period of fail attempts so don't worry you will be okay . You will get better with time just like fine wine lol cheers and happy driving .

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test (5th attmempt!) on 5th November and had saved up enough to buy my own car not long after. It's now been a couple of weeks and I still am nervous to drive and avoid driving! I know this is bad because I've bought a car and insurance so of course I should be driving. I think, like some one has said before, it's knowing you are in control is the bit I hate. I don't mind going with my mum as she doesn't she shout at me like my dad but she does make me scared though. My car is a 2003 1 litre so like many people on here it is COMPLETELY different to my instructors nice new car. Getting used to stalling a lot and using the gas when moving after stopping is hard. At least we know we are not alone!

ReputationRep:
    I passed first time on the 31st december 2015 3 minor already lucky enough to of already have a car sat on my drive since september
    At the min i can only drive to my mums work and back as driving any where else scares me! Im super nerves to go anywhere and can never find the right bitting point on my ford ka petrol in my instructors car i was fine could handle any situation but now in my own car im finding it hard hills i roll back in my car luckly theres never anyone behind me! Having a lesson in my own car hopfully will help me be bit more confident in my car

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

So glad I found this thread. I passed my test first time 15 July 2015 but I've only just got a car 3 weeks ago. It's been so long since I've driven that it's making me physically sick when I do have to drive, I'm so scared of hurting someone or even myself. Like many of you I also learnt in a diesel but now drive a petrol, it's been a nightmare getting use to the transition 😢😢.

I'm seriously considering quiting driving and going back to public transport, nothing this stressful is worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.