Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend sleeps too early Watch

My boyfriend and I are both 20 but while I'm the kind who sleeps at 2 or 3am (or later if I don't have to wake up early the next morning), he's always asleep around 10 pm. It makes it incredibly difficult to go out anywhere at night as he literally starts being unresponsive from 9 pm and dying to go home and it's incredibly frustrating as I am a night-owl and often work well into the evening so I like going out at night.

Is this a silly reason to end the relationship? I've talked to him about it but he simply can't stay awake any later than that so I don't want to press the issue.

ReputationRep:
    I think that yes, that's a silly reason to end it. I don't see why it's that bad...you can always go out earlier.

ReputationRep:
    what time does he get up in the morning? does he work etc? you too please!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's you who sleeps too late?

You can't expect him to change his lifestyle at your pleasure. Talk about it to him on even grounds and perhaps reach a compromise.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe see if you can have him stay up later just on weekends? Two days a week isn't too much of a sacrifice for him, surely.

ReputationRep:
    That would be an incredibly silly reason to dumb someone. How many times do you actually go out a week? :lolwut:
    Also if you'd rather go out and party all the time instead of having a nice peaceful night to cozy up with your boyfriend then I dont think you should be in a relationship.

Anyway, if you want to go out at saturday or something with him, tell him to have a nice midday nap earlier in the day. So by the time its night he wouldn't or at least shouldn't feel that tired by 9-10pm.

ReputationRep:
    Try to reach compromise. 10pm isn't a stupidly early time to go to bed but, at the same time, I understand that sometimes it is nice to stay out late - especially if you are at a club. So, let him have his 'early' nights so long as he makes an effort to stay out later when you do go out together.

ReputationRep:
    You sleep too late, his sleep schedule is fine.

(Original post by mosmof)
    what time does he get up in the morning? does he work etc? you too please!
    He wakes up at 7, me by 8 am. Both at uni. It was worse this summer when we were both working as I would often leave the office around 7 pm and we'd barely see each other as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD95)
    Maybe see if you can have him stay up later just on weekends? Two days a week isn't too much of a sacrifice for him, surely.
    I don't think it's a matter of him sacrificing anything if he physically cannot stay awake until like 10/11 pm? Some people just really need their sleep.

I don't think it's a reason to end the relationship straight away. The fact that you think about ending it already makes me wonder how serious you are about it? I don't mean that in an offending way but a relationship should bring you happiness

ReputationRep:
    My fiance goes to bed about 10pm, wakes up at about 8-9am. He plays computer games until I wake up, I stumble up to bed and invariably trip over everything in the dark and wake him up, but he's the type of person who falls asleep in seconds so it doesn't bother him.

Works for us!

(Original post by Fuzzpig)
    My fiance goes to bed about 10pm, wakes up at about 8-9am. He plays computer games until I wake up, I stumble up to bed and invariably trip over everything in the dark and wake him up, but he's the type of person who falls asleep in seconds so it doesn't bother him.

Works for us!
    Hmm perhaps I should just accept it for what it is. It's hardly the end of the world, just an annoyance, in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He wakes up at 7, me by 8 am. Both at uni. It was worse this summer when we were both working as I would often leave the office around 7 pm and we'd barely see each other as a result.
    does he have an iron deficiency?

my sister (has the deficiency) comes home from school at half 3, has a nap until about 6/7 daily...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm perhaps I should just accept it for what it is. It's hardly the end of the world, just an annoyance, in the grand scheme of things.
    I also have chronic rhinitis so I cough a bit and I'm an absolute fidget in bed and sometimes fall over the edge - I must be a nightmare to share a bed with! :facepalm:

No it's not something that should be an issue. You could find someone who shares your sleeping habits but has other 'faults'.

And remember you'll need your 'me time' too, this is a great way to get an hour here and there to yourself without offending each other.

(Original post by mosmof)
    does he have an iron deficiency?

my sister (has the deficiency) comes home from school at half 3, has a nap until about 6/7 daily...
    I haven't had him tested yet :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had him tested yet :rofl:
    i think its worth seeing if there is a medical reason behind it. i can see where you are coming from, although its a pretty mean reason...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Tell him to drink red bull then perform sexual acts on him.
    Sounds like you've done this before :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were going to say that he goes to bed at 7.30pm!

ReputationRep:
    it's a silly reason to end a relationship on, but it is quite strange. i can understand going to bed at 10pm normally but he never goes out past 9pm even on a weekend?

ReputationRep:
    10pm is too early and 3am is too late for normal people. You should aim to go to bed between 12am and 1am and try and get him to go bed slightly later. But hey, what am I to tell you when to go bed lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.