Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend sleeps too early Watch

ReputationRep:
    As a joke, I would say, send him to me - because I'm an early bird too and everyone I meet ends up being a nightowl.

I don't think it is a great reason to end things - I think you should talk about it first, and maybe reach a compromise. If you feel it is going nowhere as a result/causing more pain than pleasure, then yes, end it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I don't think it's a matter of him sacrificing anything if he physically cannot stay awake until like 10/11 pm? Some people just really need their sleep.

I don't think it's a reason to end the relationship straight away. The fact that you think about ending it already makes me wonder how serious you are about it? I don't mean that in an offending way but a relationship should bring you happiness

No I'm aware of that, but you see my point. Surely there's a way around it. I'm not saying end it if he doesn't manage it cos I do agree it's a daft reason, but I do think that he should try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    Sounds like you've done this before :hmmm:
    Not really. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    ditch him and go out with me, i'm up at 5.30am :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    it's a silly reason to end a relationship on, but it is quite strange. i can understand going to bed at 10pm normally but he never goes out past 9pm even on a weekend?
    How is that strange?

ReputationRep:
    Compromise, stay up until midnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    How is that strange?
    He's 20 years old, he should be able to stay up past 9pm for gods sake.

He sounds quite boring if he never ever wants to go out anywhere which could be a problem for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Just sneak redbull into his drink whenever he isn't looking

ReputationRep:
    It is not a silly reason to opt out of the relationship contrary to what everyone else is saying. When you and him will be on a FT job, you will find no time to spend together and then the decision to break it off will become obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my bf. I just curl up in bed with him and enjoy a cuddle

If I'm honest OP I think it's you who goes to bed at the wrong time - 2am is very late!

ReputationRep:
    i wish i had his sleep pattern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I are both 20 but while I'm the kind who sleeps at 2 or 3am (or later if I don't have to wake up early the next morning), he's always asleep around 10 pm. It makes it incredibly difficult to go out anywhere at night as he literally starts being unresponsive from 9 pm and dying to go home and it's incredibly frustrating as I am a night-owl and often work well into the evening so I like going out at night.

Is this a silly reason to end the relationship? I've talked to him about it but he simply can't stay awake any later than that so I don't want to press the issue.
    I can't answer about ending the relationship but it probably wont get any better. I can't speak for my bf when he was 20 cos he was 23 when I met him, as students we were both up at all hours cos that is what students do, but these days he's often in bed by 9. I often don't finish work till 12 and am always creeping round the flat trying not to wake him. We don't go out a lot anyway so that's not a problem, but I hardly see him cos he works 9-5 so he leaves while I'm still in bed, I leave before he's home and he's asleep when I get home. The other problem is if he's in bed at 9 he wants to go to sleep whereas on the occasion that go to bed at 9 (only ever on my days off if I'm tired or have to get up early the next day) I want to read.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a big enough issue to end a relationship. Speak to him about it and maybe organise 1 or 2 nights a week where he will stay up with you (just so he knows to get enough sleep the night before). Also, if he sleeps normally, but is still tired, maybe he needs a lifestyle change!

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering breaking up with this guy because of his bed time what does that say about the strength of your feelings for him?

This is a rhetorical question, I think I know the answer.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous, you'd really break up with someone because of the time they choose to go to bed? Wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    This is ridiculous, you'd really break up with someone because of the time they choose to go to bed? Wow
    She should get rid of him its unfair he's going out with someone who is obviously cold

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I can't quite believe that someone would actually consider ending their relationship, because their partner goes to bed early! It's possibly one of the dumbest reasons I've heard.

OP, by any chance does he have bouts of tiredness throughout the day?

ReputationRep:
    you want to dump your significant other because of sleep patterns? O.o

ReputationRep:
    What does he do for living?
    You sound to me like a Uni fresher that stays up till 4-5am and then sleeps till 2pm-3pm, only because there is nothing better to do.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell are you up until 3? Do you not work? Does he?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.