Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long should you study to get straight A's maybe even A*'s in 4 A levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am taking 4 A-Levels, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics and really want to get straight A's in them. Maybe even an A* in one of them?
    I just wondered how long on average do you reckon i should be revising in order to achieve those grades in those subjects?
    Would love some advise from previous students who got good A-Levels in those subjects too, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing 3 and I have to study a hell of a lot..so...you will have to study a lot if you're anything like me. I do 3 hours a night. But if you're really good at your subjects and have a naturally ability to be good at them, you will need less. I know a guy who did 6 Alevels and got A*A*A*AAA and he was also an European under 18 rowing champion. Hes now a Medic at Cambridge. So yea, you should be okay with 3ish hours a night. I do less subjects but would love A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a cliché but I really don't think it's about the time you put in.
    If you do a solid few days' revision + practice for each A Level, that *could* be more than enough to hit the highest grade.
    But if the revision's half-hearted, done while watching TOWIE, and interspersed with regular 9-hour chocolate fights, it'll take way more, like weeks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Last summer for my AS exams, I revised for 5-7 hours a day (during study leave, 2-3 hours in the evenings towards the end of term time), and got high As in all my subjects. To be honest, I did do a lot more than was perhaps necessary - re-wrote all my notes, re-did all the textbook questions, did most of the questions in those revision practice books, did almost all of the past papers. This year, for my A2s, I seem to be spending far too much time procrastinating on TSR and not really doing much revision - I recon I've averaged 2/3 hours a day over these Christmas holidays - I have 5 exams in January I've also been ill, which hasn't really helped with the revision (my advice for anyone out there, start revising early so you have enough time to take a week or two off for unexpected illnesses etc.).
    Some of my friends have been revising for months (literally!), a couple of hours every evening. To be honest, some lucky people can cram for a few days and get straight As, the rest of us have to work for them, it really depends on the individual. I would simply advise making a simple revision timetable and sticking to it, starting revising way in advance of your exams, and doing lots of past papers

ReputationRep:
    I've said this many times but I'll say it again: It depends. Some people can cram revision, some need to revise months in advance. I have a good grasp for Physics and Maths as well as a good memory - extensive revision isn't essential for me. I revise until I'm confident that there's nothing that could come up in our exam that will throw me - it's just that it takes less time for me than for most.

So, to vaguely answer your question, you should study for as long as you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by April Rose)
    Hi, i am taking 4 A-Levels, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics and really want to get straight A's in them. Maybe even an A* in one of them?
    I just wondered how long on average do you reckon i should be revising in order to achieve those grades in those subjects?
    Would love some advise from previous students who got good A-Levels in those subjects too, thank you!
    I got 100% in AS Maths and Physics and I've been predicted A* in both at A2. I started revising as soon as I started my A-levels, I did 2 hours a week for each subject and when I had nothing to revise or do I would teach myself what we haven't covered yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeWhoSaysHeCan)
    I got 100% in AS Maths and Physics and I've been predicted A* in both at A2. I started revising as soon as I started my A-levels, I did 2 hours a week for each subject and when I had nothing to revise or do I would teach myself what we haven't covered yet.
    Is AS Maths self teachable in 4 months?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    Is AS Maths self teachable in 4 months?
    Yes, it will require hard work but its very possible. S1 can take quite a while to go through; the content is easy but at times when I did exercises in the book I did occasionally get confused. D1 is really quick and easy but there might be things that need more explaining than you get in the book because the mark schemes can be a bit weird on how they award you marks as most of the marks are gained from your working out. If you don't do Physics you might struggle with M1 but not many schools do M1 as part of their Maths AS. The core modules are easy if you understand why things happen and the relationship between certain concepts, C1 is quick but in C2 there's a little more to know

I self taught myself C3 and FP3 in the summer holidays so I could get ahead and also focus more STEP in lesson with my teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeWhoSaysHeCan)
    Yes, it will require hard work but its very possible. S1 can take quite a while to go through; the content is easy but at times when I did exercises in the book I did occasionally get confused. D1 is really quick and easy but there might be things that need more explaining than you get in the book because the mark schemes can be a bit weird on how they award you marks as most of the marks are gained from your working out. If you don't do Physics you might struggle with M1 but not many schools do M1 as part of their Maths AS. The core modules are easy if you understand why things happen and the relationship between certain concepts, C1 is quick but in C2 there's a little more to know

I self taught myself C3 and FP3 in the summer holidays so I could get ahead and also focus more STEP in lesson with my teacher.
    I do Physics and was hoping there would be a considerable overlap of content between M1 and Physics mechanics?

You can't assume a fixed time tbh, it depends on how much material you need to revise.

ReputationRep:
      Im also doing those subjects and starting A levels in a couple of days :s I also want all As and maybe A*. I didn't do good in GCSEs . I didnt study , but I still got:
      Physics - A Maths - A Bio - B Chem - C
      I made a new plan , that i hope to start soon. It consist of studying around 38 hours a week. Is this too much or just fine? Im the type who cant cram , I need to study months in advance.

I know this is late haha

ReputationRep:
      You could get those grades by either starting a month of two before and doing say 1 hour a night, or by doing a couple of day of SMART revision and get them, although it somewhat depends on the subject. For example, you'd have way more chance of getting an A in geography by putting in two days of solid work before the exam, however if you did the same for the sciences, you probably would get a C or D at a push That's in my experience anyway

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.