Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a guy and currently a virgin but have been talking to this guy around 30 mins away from me on skype for around a year, but not very much. We've done stuff over skype and sent pics but we thought about the idea of actually meeting up somewhere. It's nearly going to happen (plans being made) but now I'm having second thoughts about whether I want to wait for someone I love and not just for the point of having sex. But I can;t even seeing me finding someone special anytime in the next year and in September I'm (hopefully) off to uni. I'm really stuck on what to do

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, it could end pretty badly, you could get hurt or worst if you meet some random stranger for sex. I'd be very wary about it... Chances are he knows you're a virgin and he prob isn't one and so just see's an easy opportunity. Wait until you meet someone you like, is my advice.

He's the same age btw and claims he's a virgin too

ReputationRep:
    "claims", it's upto you in the end but I'd be wary of dudes trying to have sex with you who you met off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if you do decide to meet up with him, do it just to see what he's like, and not necessarily meet up just to have sex with him... that way if you decided you do like him, you can see where things lead from there, but if not you can just cut off contact with him, and wait for the right person?

(Original post by Michaelj)
    "claims", it's upto you in the end but I'd be wary of dudes trying to have sex with you who you met off the internet.
    hmm, all I'm thinking about is if I'm having doubts now, god knows what I 'll feel like after

ReputationRep:
    If you're having doubts, don't do it. But that's the advice I'd give to someone regardless of whether or not they met their partner on the internet. I'm gonna assume you're only 17/18 if you're off to Uni next year, so there's no rush or anything to lose your virginity- which you seem to get very clearly, well done, a rarity on the Relationships thread XD. Don't cancel him out, of course, if you have been talking to him for so long and trust him enough to do things via Skype, there's no harm in just meeting him. This doesn't automatically have to lead to sex, but it's a chance to develop a relationship. He may eventually turn into that 'special someone'. If not, there's no harm

Good luck with the situation

Thanks for the help guys I think i'm going to say no, after all there's no rush and this won't be the only opportunity. I think i'll just tell him straight about how I feel, and if he just gets pissed it will obviously be the right decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a guy and currently a virgin but have been talking to this guy around 30 mins away from me on skype for around a year, but not very much. We've done stuff over skype and sent pics but we thought about the idea of actually meeting up somewhere. It's nearly going to happen (plans being made) but now I'm having second thoughts about whether I want to wait for someone I love and not just for the point of having sex. But I can;t even seeing me finding someone special anytime in the next year and in September I'm (hopefully) off to uni. I'm really stuck on what to do
    I'd recommend meeting up for a coffee/meal in the daytime firstly. That way you can get to know them a little better in person and judge whether you think it's a good idea. I know a lot of people say 'you should lose your virginity to someone you love' and all that but, unfortunately, the world isn't always perfect and people don't always make the best choices. But if you feel it's what you want to do, and you're both comfortable, then fine. Just ensure you meet up with them a couple of times first (with no sex!) to make sure they're genuine and that you connect.

Also: tell someone. I can't stress that part enough. Just tell a close friend you're going on a date with someone you met online or something, you don't need to tell them the ins and outs. Better safe than sorry - you hear about so many people that go missing, or worse, after meeting people online. It's just a precaution: I'm sure things will go okay.

EDIT: Just saw your reply - my bad! Just keep my advice in mind for the future if you do intend to meet up. I've met up with a fair few people I've spoken to online (not for sex or anything, just friends) and one or two turned out to be a bit intimidating. So telling someone where you're going, or taking a friend with you, is always the way to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.