The Student Room Group

Daily mail-Malala Yousafzai living in the U.K?

So i read this article on the Daily mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256413/Father-Pakistani-girl-shot-Taliban-inspiring-girls-education-given-diplomatic-role-UK.html

Personally for me the top comments are just a bit horrible. If she were to return to Pakistan, surely the taliban would just look for her again. I just want some opinions because the comments just kind of shocked me. I know a lot of DM readers aren't keen on immigration but this was a bit too far?:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Daily Mail readers are the dregs of society. These people are unhinged and it is them who need deporting.
(edited 11 years ago)
He's got that just because she was shot?
Original post by S4LM4N
Daily Mail readers are the dregs of society. These people are unhinged and it is them who need deporting.

Do you find it shocking that they outnumber Guardian readers by 10 to 1 ?
The Daily Mail political articles revolve around 3 topics

1. The EU is ruining this once great nation.
2.Immigration is ruining this once great nation
3.The new generation is ruining this once great nation.

I understand wanting to read the Daily Mail for frivolities and celeb gossip but try to avoid their political articles. The comments are from bitter middle aged people whinging about just about everything.
Reply 5
Good these are the type of muslims we need in the UK to counter the backwardness we get from those already here and these we are importing from backward backwaters around the world

But I don’t think she will be welcomed with open arms by some in the muslim community here in the UK as she is a perfect example of ‘one of those who imitates’ us nasty kaffirs
So while other people celebrate the fact that this young girl is recovering well from her horrible injuries, a triumph for the excellent doctors who treated her, the Daily Mail just has one thing on its mind: Does this mean that there will be a few more muslims in 'this once great' Country?"

What a stupid publication.
If there was ever a more compelling case for someone being granted asylum, then I have not heard it. She has been shot by the Taliban for her beliefs and they have publicly stated that she will be killed if she returns to Pakistan. Malala is exactly the sort of person that our asylum system was designed to help.
Reply 8
I think she did a great thing standing up to the taliban and being that courageous , im not trying to take that away from her, but frankly somethings are going way too far.. like nomination for the nobel peace prize? Come on, theres been 1000's killed in pakistan for the same reasons, should they be ignored just because this one survived?

On a side note, im glad her dad got a a good job in the UK and they can rebuild their life in a higher standard, but i think the job should be given on merit and not actions of immediate family members alone....
The Daily Mail and some of its readers never cease to amaze.
I have no issue with this young lady and her family being in this country. It's not like they're terrorists or something.
Original post by kinglynx
On a side note, im glad her dad got a a good job in the UK and they can rebuild their life in a higher standard, but i think the job should be given on merit and not actions of immediate family members alone....

He does runs schools in Pakistan and is an activist for education in his own right.
Reply 12
She's quite an inspiring figure, I just hope she and her family are safe in the future.
People seem incapable of analysing what is reported. The girl isn't an immigrant at all, and hasn't been given asylum. Her father has been given a job by the Pakistan government in the consulate at Birmingham. She will stay as the dependant of a member of the diplomatic staff.
Reply 14
Original post by ribbon123
So i read this article on the Daily mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256413/Father-Pakistani-girl-shot-Taliban-inspiring-girls-education-given-diplomatic-role-UK.html

Personally for me the top comments are just a bit horrible. If she were to return to Pakistan, surely the taliban would just look for her again. I just want some opinions because the comments just kind of shocked me. I know a lot of DM readers aren't keen on immigration but this was a bit too far?:s-smilie:

The top comments seem to be along the lines of "I knew the government weren't just going to treat her, it was a plan to get them to stay here" which is actually true :s-smilie:

I suspected as much at the time, since obviously Britain couldn't have been the nearest competent hospital to Pakistan. I suppose it depends on your attitude, it's no secret that Britain has high immigration that a lot of people want lowered, and for a party that made a sort-of promise to reduce it to backtrack on it by offering (legitimate) asylum seekers asylum in this way is going to annoy those same people. You then have the girl's father being given a job after just two months in the country when unemployment among those already here is high, which just rubs salt in their wounds. Having said that, the top comments don't seem too angry.
This story might be true, but I don't think anyone who regularly reads the DM and takes it seriously has a valid opinion.

I sometimes flick through the DM, for amusement only.
Original post by Hopple
The top comments seem to be along the lines of "I knew the government weren't just going to treat her, it was a plan to get them to stay here" which is actually true :s-smilie:

I suspected as much at the time, since obviously Britain couldn't have been the nearest competent hospital to Pakistan. I suppose it depends on your attitude, it's no secret that Britain has high immigration that a lot of people want lowered, and for a party that made a sort-of promise to reduce it to backtrack on it by offering (legitimate) asylum seekers asylum in this way is going to annoy those same people. You then have the girl's father being given a job after just two months in the country when unemployment among those already here is high, which just rubs salt in their wounds. Having said that, the top comments don't seem too angry.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. The Conservative Party have NEVER even hinted that they want to block legitimate asylum seekers coming here, let alone "sort-of promised" it.

Not to mention that none of them have been given asylum... But please, don't let complete ignorance stop you from voicing your opinion on the matter...

As to the Pakistani government giving an education job to a Pakistani educator "rubbing salt in the wounds" of the British unemployed... Get a grip...
Original post by Hopple
it was a plan to get them to stay here" which is actually true

It obviously isn't. Read my previous post.

You then have the girl's father being given a job after just two months in the country when unemployment among those already here is high,

What has the employment by the Pakistan government of a Pakistani national in a support role in a Pakistan consulate got to do with unemployment in the UK?
Reply 18
Original post by callum9999
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. The Conservative Party have NEVER even hinted that they want to block legitimate asylum seekers coming here, let alone "sort-of promised" it.
What about wanting to reduce immigration from hundreds of thousands into tens of thousands? That was a loose promise to reduce immigration, and now this backdoor acceptance of a family? I'm not personally opposed to us helping such people, but I would rather the government come clean at the start than edge forwards with what they think they can get away with, and I would like to see why they came to Britain rather than the closer France or Germany, for example.

Not to mention that none of them have been given asylum... But please, don't let complete ignorance stop you from voicing your opinion on the matter...
It's effectively asylum. She got shot in her own country and would probably be shot again (along with her family) if they went back. If you don't think that counts then I don't know what someone would have to go through for you to consider them asylum seekers.

The point is, why Britain? There are plenty of good hospitals nearer to Pakistan than those in Britain. It doesn't make sense for asylum seekers to come to Britain from anywhere but Ireland and maybe France - any other country will have a neighbour nearer to it than Britain.

As to the Pakistani government giving an education job to a Pakistani educator "rubbing salt in the wounds" of the British unemployed... Get a grip...
If you read my post properly, you'd see I was addressing the issue from the anti-immigration standpoint, and that is what it looks like. It isn't just a coincidence that such a job opened up so soon after he arrived in the country.
Original post by Hopple
What about wanting to reduce immigration from hundreds of thousands into tens of thousands? That was a loose promise to reduce immigration, and now this backdoor acceptance of a family? I'm not personally opposed to us helping such people, but I would rather the government come clean at the start than edge forwards with what they think they can get away with, and I would like to see why they came to Britain rather than the closer France or Germany, for example.

It's effectively asylum. She got shot in her own country and would probably be shot again (along with her family) if they went back. If you don't think that counts then I don't know what someone would have to go through for you to consider them asylum seekers.

The point is, why Britain? There are plenty of good hospitals nearer to Pakistan than those in Britain. It doesn't make sense for asylum seekers to come to Britain from anywhere but Ireland and maybe France - any other country will have a neighbour nearer to it than Britain.

If you read my post properly, you'd see I was addressing the issue from the anti-immigration standpoint, and that is what it looks like. It isn't just a coincidence that such a job opened up so soon after he arrived in the country.

This is like banging your head against a brick wall. She isn't an immigrant and isn't an asylum-seeker.

Quick Reply

Latest