Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intermittent fasting Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that it has been getting a lot of attention recently and was just wondering if anyone had tried it and had any notable results?

I was considering giving it a shot and bulking concurrently i.e. eating 3500-4000 calories between 5am and 10am and not eating until 5am the next day. Has anyone attempted this? I'm not sure if it is even possible...

ReputationRep:
    how is it medically possible to lose weight if you eat 4000 calories in the morning?

ReputationRep:
    intermittent fasting isn't the best diet approach in terms of bodybuilding. you need to be providing food to your body every 2 or 3 hours to prevent catabolism. but if you really want to do it, the window is not of 5 hours but of 7. you'll struggle to put so much calories in such a small period of time and you'll feel a lot of times angry because your body isn't used to it. I really do not recommend especially if your goals are more bodybuilding oriented

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a bad idea tbh. Eating a lot then nothing is bad for the stomach. The general advice is to eat little and offen.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these, the intermittent fasting diet is meant to be good for your health! It's meant to help minimise your chances of cancer, heart disease and all sorts!

Back in the day (talking cave men days here), it was never normal to eat daily. You spend a day trying to catch food then the next day eating it and so on. As it took so much effort and so long to get food we wouldn't have eaten 3 meals a day like we do now! In fact there's a theory that eating so much daily may have been a factor in the cause of cancer, apparently eating so often could've caused our cells to multiply more than usually, and cancer is cells multiplying abnormally more than they should.

I'm not sure if the whole cramming 4000 calories in all so fast would be a great idea though. My parents are currently on this diet, they eat normally one day (according to the daily recommendations), then cut their calories down to about 300/400 the next day, this is their fasting days. On this diet you're supposed to have "fast" days twice a week, but my parents are doing three or four fasting days. They lost 8lbs in just over a week it was amazing! But also it is hopefully helping to increase their health :-)

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself very active and my calculated upper limit for intake is 3,500 a day just to maintain weight. I never get this, because it's actually a LOT of food if you want to keep it healthy.

Why don't you just eat normaly like everyone else, drop your intake slightly and throw some exercise in there for good measure if you want to loose weight?

Cancer is caused by DNA damage and a few other things, not by eating too much food :/

ReputationRep:
    Nutrient timing is pretty much irrelevant. Try it and see if it works for you. I think it's great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    how is it medically possible to lose weight if you eat 4000 calories in the morning?
    Well it would be medically possible If you burn in excess of 4000 calories per day. However, I clearly stated that I intended to bulk via IF and thus am not intending to lose weight.

Why try and cram all those calories into such a small window when up can break it up and have them throughout the day? It really is a no brainer, you're making it difficult for yourself.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by commandant)
      Why try and cram all those calories into such a small window when up can break it up and have them throughout the day? It really is a no brainer, you're making it difficult for yourself.
      Because there are some who suggest that cramming enough calories into a small window and then fasting thereon can lead to leaner muscle gains. Something to do with HGH I believe. But also I wanted to try it for practical reasons. I am out of the house most of the day and it would be more convenient for me if i could eat loads in the morning and not have to worry later on.

how are you planning on eating 4000 calories in 5 hours then? I don;t think I could manage all that food.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Pegasus2)
        Cancer is caused by DNA damage and a few other things, not by eating too much food :/
        No the theory is that the regular eating may have caused some of the mutations that originally caused cancer to develop. Not that if you eat a lot you'll get cancer. But that's why they propose that this diet may help decrease the likelihood of you getting it. They had some supporting figures too on the programme I watched, so who knows, worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        how are you planning on eating 4000 calories in 5 hours then? I don;t think I could manage all that food.
        want to rep this post but im all out of rep! I consider myself a "seasoned eater", and 3000kcal in one sitting is a push. It's just not possible to get 4000kcal in 5 hours. You'd be doing nothing but eating for the entire time, and then you'd feel nauseous and bloated, it's ****ing stupid.

If you want more GH, then I would recommend you supplement it exogenously, if you know what im sayin...

I don't think IF is a "magic bullet" that will unlock OMG SUPER LEAN GAINS MODE; if it fits your schedule better or you prefer it, great. Fasting probably is good for us, and the evidence base behind fasting and its beneficial effects is growing, but you shouldn't feel obliged to do something like IF. Do whatever you're happy and comfortable doing. "Little and often" may be the given advice but there's no evidence that this "stokes the metabolic fire" as so many claim. Meal frequency has no effect in that regards.

ReputationRep:
        Actually, been thinking. It probably is possible to eat 4k's worth in that time frame but it's still a lot.

I was thinking along the lines of 4x fried egg, 4x bacon, 4x fried bread etc etc but I'd never recomend that food of that proportion, especialy more than even once a week and it certainly isn't benificial to 'Super lean gains BS mode'.

@Mollster - maybe, maybe not, gonna call bs on that one though for now.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Pegasus2)
        Actually, been thinking. It probably is possible to eat 4k's worth in that time frame but it's still a lot.

I was thinking along the lines of 4x fried egg, 4x bacon, 4x fried bread etc etc but I'd never recomend that food of that proportion,
        I think you are grossly underestimating just how much 4000 kcal worth of food is mate... sit down and try and eat that much and you'll find out the hard way

Especially if its clean foods!

ReputationRep:
          Especially if its clean foods!
          Wash them the night before! :laugh:

Sorry bad joke..:ninja:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by rafa.bodybuilder)
          intermittent fasting isn't the best diet approach in terms of bodybuilding. you need to be providing food to your body every 2 or 3 hours to prevent catabolism. but if you really want to do it, the window is not of 5 hours but of 7. you'll struggle to put so much calories in such a small period of time and you'll feel a lot of times angry because your body isn't used to it. I really do not recommend especially if your goals are more bodybuilding oriented
          Jesus christ, thats the oldest and busted myth, lots of bodybuilders do it, the hodge twins do it (just youtube them) and they're huge... pls no spill your bull**** without proper knowledge and research
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by mollster57)
          Don't listen to these, the intermittent fasting diet is meant to be good for your health! It's meant to help minimise your chances of cancer, heart disease and all sorts!

Back in the day (talking cave men days here), it was never normal to eat daily. You spend a day trying to catch food then the next day eating it and so on. As it took so much effort and so long to get food we wouldn't have eaten 3 meals a day like we do now! In fact there's a theory that eating so much daily may have been a factor in the cause of cancer, apparently eating so often could've caused our cells to multiply more than usually, and cancer is cells multiplying abnormally more than they should.

I'm not sure if the whole cramming 4000 calories in all so fast would be a great idea though. My parents are currently on this diet, they eat normally one day (according to the daily recommendations), then cut their calories down to about 300/400 the next day, this is their fasting days. On this diet you're supposed to have "fast" days twice a week, but my parents are doing three or four fasting days. They lost 8lbs in just over a week it was amazing! But also it is hopefully helping to increase their health :-)

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
          "Back in the day like cavemen". Yeah back when the life expectancy was 20-30 years old......................

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Terk)
          Jesus christ, thats the oldest and busted myth, lots of bodybuilders do it, the hodge twins do it (just youtube them) and they're huge... pls no spill your bull**** without proper knowledge and research
          I know who the hodge twins are, they're nothing special. IFBB pros never use intermittent fasting. see some kai greene videos.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2013
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.