Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What country would you rather live in? Watch

• View Poll Results: What country would you choose to live in?
    The US
    27.91%
    Canada
    27.91%
    Australia
    28.68%
    Germany
    18.60%
    Other (state)
    24.03%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron9890)
    Oh yeah, forgot about them! Still the other things appeal to me, I would just have to hope I wouldn't come across a spider lol
    I agree with you though, Australia seems amazing. The accent in particular Only problem is, pretty much every bug there can kill you and is stupidly oversized haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as much as Australia looks nice I wouldnt and couldnt live there due to the huge spiders, I mean I have a phobia so its definately a nono. Never really been interested in Germany/their culture and (i know its petty but i find the accents a bit annoying). Canada would be good but too cold for me really. and the US can go either way depending on where you live/how much money you had. Im happy I was born in England and live here though I really do like it, it is cloudy and rainy but no huge spiders, no tornados or tsunamis or other natural threats, good healthcare system. Just wish i lived in more of a village/small town rather than a city.

The only other place I would move is France preferably the south. or that nice area all the british people on that TV show go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sannn)
    I agree with you though, Australia seems amazing. The accent in particular Only problem is, pretty much every bug there can kill you and is stupidly oversized haha
    The next time you want to post a picture of a huge turantula can you please put it in a spoiler box or something, i jumped out of my skin and threw my laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Auzzie, i dont need to bugger about with visas and the like there whilst the rest you do or they dont speak English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Since I speak Australian, I guess Australia or New Zealand.

I would definetly like to live in either of those two locations.
    Is there much difference between the two?
    yes :mad:
    Tell a New Zealander theyre Australian and expect a torrent of abuse [same goes for the opposite] we may love each other dearly but telling us that we're similar is a big no no... its like telling a canadian theyre american it doesnt go down too well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    yes :mad:
    Tell a New Zealander theyre Australian and expect a torrent of abuse [same goes for the opposite] we may love each other dearly but telling us that we're similar is a big no no... its like telling a canadian theyre american it doesnt go down too well :rolleyes:
    I didn't tell anybody anything, I asked

ReputationRep:
    England seems like an interesting place to live, but I like it here in the states so I doubt I would ever leave. Glad I was born here in America, despite it's many flaws.

ReputationRep:
    France, because it is beautiful, the food is amazing, it is home to the world's most beautiful cities, it has the best health care system in the world, and it has an excellent education system. I also like that state secularism is guaranteed by French law, and also firmly entrenched into the French culture. There's also a lot of great overseas departments for holidays. France is just lovely

:france:

ReputationRep:
    I find that any amount of time in a place other than home (UK) leads me to eventually feel homesick. Main thing I miss is the history, scenery, culture and language. Spoken English is so diverse, full of colloquial phrases, etc - it's actually beautiful.

Currently I'm in Korea. Have been here for 6 weeks. I miss talking in full-blossomed mother tongue. Food here's great though. When I get home, I think I intend to stay in Blighty for a considerable amount of time. Any travel out of the country will be purely for holiday or adventure.

I spent some time in Australia and that was ok, but only because of the wages. The place is largely quite cultureless for an outsider, so I again began to miss home for the reasons already mentioned.

UK all the way! Visions of living in other countries are generally quite utopian until you start to live it, and feel no connected to the society you're trying to integrate with. It makes me wonder how all the immigrants are happy to settle here in the UK, and whether they actually like it here, even though it's so different to their own countries, or if they're just here for better money. Not that I have anything at all against immigrants. I just wonder how many of them are truly content being here.

I suppose it's a different story if you have family in the country you want to go to, since it immediately gives you a better start when you arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DZJX)
    The next time you want to post a picture of a huge turantula can you please put it in a spoiler box or something, i jumped out of my skin and threw my laptop.
    Sorry aha, didn't realise you we're that afraid

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Roscommon Ireland, where i live now

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I'm torn between many.

My favourites would have to be Japan, Sweden, and Italy; even though there is a big contrast between them. :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to live in or visit

Germany
    Switzerland
    Australia
    America

at least once
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland, hands down. If not, then Canada.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the US, it was great. But it really doesn't compare to living in England. We have better beer, better food, better sports, better tv and better nightlife. May seem like little things compared to political systems and gun control - but they're the things that actually make your life enjoyable on a day to day basis.

ReputationRep:
    I loved Iceland when I went there. The culture is great, the people are nice...

Although it's freezing and the economy is down the toilet...I paid £8.50 for burger and chips! :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sannn)
    Attachment 190346

A lack of these, perhaps?
    I think that has potentially put me off Oz :O

ReputationRep:
    Germany for me.

But I wouldn't mind Norway either. Two beautify countries, with lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    Iceland

ReputationRep:
    Out of the ones mentioned, Germany. It has a higher standard of living than the UK, it doesn't participate in every war the US start and there are a couple of other things I prefer over the UK - but then again, as a German I might be biased And I like my live in Scotland, the UK is a great country as well.

For me the country I would retire to (after a live in many different countries) would be Norway. 99% renewable energy, most developed country in the world, peaceful, very democratic, great education, outstanding nature ...

I honestly wouldn't understand anyone not liking Norway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.