Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When Crossrail opens Reading will have direct trains into the west end, city of london and canary wharf amongst other stops. That's a massive development for any home county town.

I also think Reading has a nice town centre with some good nightlife and shopping and will eventually gain city status.

The future looks good for this berkshire town.

ReputationRep:
    Give this article a read, Reading's definitely on the rise. Although we've been rejected for city status three times now, despite being the heavy favourite recently!

The worry is that Reading will just be swallowed by London, becoming another suburb. Reading is a massive commuter hotspot (although it's bloody annoying trying to find a seat on a train) but so far people are just travelling through Reading, and Reading's 'boom' has been touted for ages and ages without any major improvements, safe for The Oracle. The new train station however will be a real indicator of Reading's future potential.

ReputationRep:
    Crossrail only goes out to Maidenhead not Reading though doesnt it?

Probably, although that being said the town is still a complete dump i mean its slap bang between slough and didcot...

Im not sure though as either way all it would do is make commuting out of the town easier, most firms in reading just seem to be branch off of ones with london offices and business isnt exactly booming in reading, the blade has been empty since it was built and all of the office towers next to the station have been vacant since i can remember, if reading is on the up itll be a long time coming yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    When Crossrail opens Reading will have direct trains into the west end, city of london and canary wharf amongst other stops. That's a massive development for any home county town.

I also think Reading has a nice town centre with some good nightlife and shopping and will eventually gain city status.

At the rate it's going, Wokingham will probably become a city before Reading
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)

I'm hoping of studying at Reading Uni! :woo:

The trains from Paddington to Reading (journey time) are around 20 minutes which ain't bad.

ReputationRep:
    Reading is ideally located close enough to London to be convenient to commute, but far enough away so that the cost of living isn't sky high.

(Original post by cl_steele)
    Crossrail only goes out to Maidenhead not Reading though doesnt it?
    *Geek hat on here*

The route will go as far as Reading, but upgrades to the Great Western Main Line between Reading and Maidenhead will already have been completed by the time Crossrail is finished, so the actual Crossrail 'infrastructure' will finish at Maidenhead, but the trains will run as far as Reading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.