Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 25K enough to live off? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do you think you could live comfortably off £25K per year for a single person?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Not for the rest of your life, no.

EDIT: Oh you changed it to a year, yes then. I think 25K is more than enough for one person in a year.

ReputationRep:
    for a single person, very happily.
    for a couple yes.
    for a family yes but with more difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    it depends how long for and what your outgoings are and if you have any dependants x

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    No - you'll have to live in a cardboard box, innit

Proper answer - it's what you do with it that counts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, certainly. It's not enough to support a family, but plenty for a single person of a couple.

I've calculated the minimum I need to live on at 11 K (Outside London)

ReputationRep:
    I live off about £8k per year quite happily. Now, that's without paying council tax and living in a shared house, but those two expenses don't add up to that much.

The UK median wage is about £21k, so you'd be better off than most, including those with kids to support.

ReputationRep:
    As a single person quite happily I'd think :dontknow:.
    Although I'm 19 and no expert lol so this is merely speculation judged off wages people I know get.

ReputationRep:
    Just do a simple calculation. Your salary - taxes - local tax - rent/mortgage - bills - food = your wealth. If your salary is 25k, your wealth must be close to 0 even if you are single.

The rent is about 700 - 1k a month in London (if you live with your friends). If you live by yourself, the rent is 1 - 2k.

But it's a good starting salary for a uni grad. Some firms only pay like 18k and they expect you to do 60 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tin)
    YES you whinging moaning British prick...

there are starving africans whilst we have utter tw*ts moaning about £25,000 a year.
    First, as Farid said. And secondly, until you've spent a bit of time living by yourself, being responsible for your own food, utilities etc and even have a full time job you can't really tell how much it costs to live by yourself. Hell, I think most people take for granted what it costs to live until they have a job, a house etc of their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clungemagnet)

The rent is about 700 - 1k a month in London (if you live with your friends). If you live by yourself, the rent is 1 - 2k.
    We live 15 minutes from central by tube, in a decent enough area and my dad was planning on charging around £600 a month for a single flat...On the small side but really nice and newly furnished. Maybe he's just a terrible businessman though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belligerent ghoul)
    We live 15 minutes from central by tube, in a decent enough area and my dad was planning on charging around £600 a month for a single flat...On the small side but really nice and newly furnished. Maybe he's just a terrible businessman though...
    I suspect the latter, that's seems quite cheap.

If he wasn't your dad I'd say to find a tenant 'for him' for £8-900 per month and keep the difference!

ReputationRep:
    Easily.

Manage your money so that you set the money you need every month into one account, the rest for fun time into another.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBean1994)
    Hey, do you think you could live comfortably off £25K per year for a single person?
    Yes, absolutely.
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Yes, certainly. It's not enough to support a family, but plenty for a single person of a couple.

I've calculated the minimum I need to live on at 11 K (Outside London)
    There are actually loads of families who manage to get by on significantly less than £25,000, even with one or more parents who work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.