Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Having trouble finding a definitive answer to this one.

    I was previously at University in another city where I completed 1 year of the course successfully but used 2 years of student loans.

    Fast forward to 2 years later and I want to continue my course at another university.

    I'm pretty sure on doing the same course, but what would loans be like if I:

    A) did the same course but did the 2nd and 3rd year at the new uni.

    B) tried to start the course from scratch at new uni.

    C) wanted to do a completely different course

    Thanks in advance

    You're entitled to;
    Length of your degree + 1 year - previous study.
    You had 2 years of student loans, which counts of 2 years of study.

    So, if you want to study a new 3 year degree, you will be entitled to;
    3 years + 1 - 2 = 2. So, you would be entitled to 2 years of full funding.

    Student Finance will use these 2 years for the FINAL 2 years of your new degree, so years 2 and 3. You will receive a Maintenance Loan in the first year, but you would have to pay your fee's yourself. In years 2 and 3 you would receive Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant.

    In answer to your scenarios;
    A) As it would be 2 years, you would receive one years funding, for the final year.
    B & C) You would receive funding for the 2nd and 3rd years of your new degree.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.